cracked ms880 crankshaft ??????????????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbertim

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi just joined to express my sadness and surprise at a cracked crank shaft casting. has anyone encountered this before ? its a 2012 ms880 and although i have milled a bit of timber with it, i still think of it as a very little used saw, ive never abused it im very diligent in my mixes and maintenance, and when it actually cracked (scored piston, hit spark plug and stalled) i was cutting small limbs with 20" bar. i have run a 60" bar on it before but not that often and i fail to see how any kind of use or even abuse could damage a saw in this way. i thought originally it was shaft bearings that were gone (still surprising considering its only 2 years old) but when i stripped it i discovered crack and nearly wept :cry::cry:
i emailed stihl weeks ago with pics and a strong complaint but have received nothing in the way of a response
would love some opinions and or experiences. i imagine i will end up rebuilding at my own cost by the looks of the non response from stihl ?
how do i put in a pic ??
great site by the way i may be young but i have hundreds of years of knowledge thanks to this site:chainsaw::clap:

Welcome to Arboristsite! I would suggest you investigate other ways to contact Stihl. No response may just indicate that they have not 'effectively' received your complaint. Try going through your local dealer, look for phone numbers, other ways to contact them electronically; you may just have gotten an email address that is not intended for customer service, or yours might just have gotten lost somehow. Once upon a time, my son received a voice mail message two weeks after I left it for him. Good luck!

Welcome Tim. I agree with above advice. Go through a dealer. I'm trying to get the money together to by a new 880, so I'd be interested in the dealer opinion on the cause of the failure. I just retired my 42 year old Homelite 1050 and I've beat on that poor thing for years and it never complained. The reason I'm giving it a rest is I spilled gas filling it up, and with the mill on it, I was too lazy to move 10 feet away. When I pulled the starter it backfired and a burst of flame came out of the exhaust and the spilled gas went up. It must have burned for 2 or 3 minutes before I got the extinguisher. Actually it looks ok. The only damage I can see is the rubber on the handle. Maybe I'll mess with it some this week end. Good luck with your 880, Joe.

hi just joined to express my sadness and surprise at a cracked crank shaft casting. has anyone encountered this before ? its a 2012 ms880 and although i have milled a bit of timber with it, i still think of it as a very little used saw, ive never abused it im very diligent in my mixes and maintenance, and when it actually cracked (scored piston, hit spark plug and stalled) i was cutting small limbs with 20" bar. i have run a 60" bar on it before but not that often and i fail to see how any kind of use or even abuse could damage a saw in this way. i thought originally it was shaft bearings that were gone (still surprising considering its only 2 years old) but when i stripped it i discovered crack and nearly wept :cry::cry:
i emailed stihl weeks ago with pics and a strong complaint but have received nothing in the way of a response
would love some opinions and or experiences. i imagine i will end up rebuilding at my own cost by the looks of the non response from stihl ?
how do i put in a pic ??
great site by the way i may be young but i have hundreds of years of knowledge thanks to this site:chainsaw::clap:
what was the outcome? did you buy a new crankshaft for the ms880 or did you find a used one from an 088?

I'd take 1200 plus the ride for the saw and all the loops that go with it.

Background of the saw is, bought it new in 2005 to do big take downs but most of the time it didn't get used. I bought a couple of 660's and never need the 880 since there really aren't that many 6'+ trees here in East Tennessee. I fire it up and use it a little once or twice a month but that's really it now just to keep it lubed and running. It's not super pretty from riding in the tool compartment of the bucket truck but it has 160+ pounds of comp and pulls the 36" full comp chisel chain just fine if you know how to run a big saw like this. Has 36" bar .404 .063 chain. If you're interested I can take some pictures and videos of it for you. Don't have any parts for this one. Have an old echo 660evl I'll give you a deal on though, it's a running parts saw.

My zip is 37743 by the way so you can see about where I'm at.

Latest posts

Back