Craftsman 17" chainsaw?? anything good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wideopen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
here is a link so that you can see what I am talking about, it is on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2057394716&rd=1

If you can just tell me if this saw will scream and do well if it runs and was well taken care of, or if it is nothing special at all. I would greatly appreciate an answer to this email, and I am sorry if this was sent to the wrong department..:}
I need information on a Craftsman older model chainsaw. I think is has a 17" bar, and someone told me homelite is the company behind the engine in thes chainsaw. I have looked under homelites different models and see that they are similar, but not shure. The model number starts with 917, and the weird thing is, I have seen Sears, and these david brandley chainsaws, with model numbers also starting with a 917. I just would like any information at all on the engine, if it was a "chrome lined cylinder?" And basically, where I can get parts, do I need a 17" bar replacement, or can I use other sizes?
It says solid state on it. Basically, I just want to know if this craftsman saw is going to perform as a "screamer" or as the newer, so called "crappy" craftsman chainsaws.?
David. :}

It actually looks more like an XL-100, but it isn't a Homelite by a long shot. American Yard Products made several lookalike saws for Sears in the '60s-'80s. Aside from the appearance, the 917 prefix indicates it's one of those. Probably not a terrible saw, but parts supply will be nonexistant and it won't have the punch of the Homelite.

I have a 3.7CID AYP/Sears knockoff of a Pioneer P series. Not bad, but not close enough to seem really high quality.

BTW: The Homelite Super EZ is 2.5 CID and the XL-100 is 3.55.

Case in point here...NO the saw will not screem, NO it will not have boat loads of power even if it is modified. NO it will not last as long as a good pro saw It is a throw-away, Homeowner saw and that is what it will always be PERIOD. nuff said

I think the sale is closed now, but be advised that that saw is basically a look-alike pioneer/Lombard/Homelite shroud around a Techumseh 3 hp. Lawnmower engine. That engine will spin up to about 6500 rpms on a good day, but if asked to do so regularly will spit the rollers out of the rod bearing.

Stay away.

Back