Craftsman 19hp -- 42inch deck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmatelot

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have this 15 yr old riding lawnmower -- when I went to put new blades on it the bolt that holds the blade would not come off -- it turns both ways -- on/off -- the head of the bolt (9/16 in ) turns both ways but will not come off -- any ideas as to what to do? Haven't been here for a while - have had no problems for quite a while -- thanks and regards

Sounds like the threads are stripped. You are holding the blade while trying to loosen them right? I had 2 of those mowers. I broke one of those spindles and bought a new one on line. If they are stripped that's what you might have to do. Usually those decks rot out before any other problems though.

have seen this alot the teeth on the spindle are gone. is the pulley spinning? have you tried to hold the pulley nut and turn. i use a impact make life alot easier.

you are correct about the decks being crap -- have had the neighbour weld it 3 times now in different places -- I don't hold the blade --I stop it from moving with a 2 x 4 -- I am not very mechanical -- would you guys have any idea what it would cost to take it to a repair shop? Thanks and regards

a couple of you mentioned a spindle -- are you talking about the "receptor" for the bolt to hold the blade on? Thanks

Yes it has the pully on top and the blade bolts to the bottom. They are aluminum and have like 3 bolts that hold them to the deck. You should have 2 of them one for each blade

Yes it has the pully on top and the blade bolts to the bottom. They are aluminum and have like 3 bolts that hold them to the deck. You should have 2 of them one for each blade
Well I managed to get the bolt off -- now I can't get the bolt back in to hold the b lade --- probably stripped -- can I make the hole larger by re-threading it and use a larger diameter bolt

I have this 15 yr old riding lawnmower -- when I went to put new blades on it the bolt that holds the blade would not come off -- it turns both ways -- on/off -- the head of the bolt (9/16 in ) turns both ways but will not come off -- any ideas as to what to do? Haven't been here for a while - have had no problems for quite a while -- thanks and regards

I have the same mower you have, and I've done my share of welding on the deck to keep it going, I've got a rough place to mow. I've had to replace the entire housings, including spindle, they will eventually fail and I don't think it's practical to try any repair them. These parts are available at great prices on ebay - for a lot less than what Sears will be asking. It's an easy replacement procedure, there are three bolts holding these spindle assemblies on. Unbolt the old one and bolt on the new one. The pulleys come separate, and it's rare you'll have a bad pulley. Just unbolt the pulley off the old part and bolt it on to the new one. Replacing just the spindle on an old assembly will set you up for the inevitable bearing failure that is in the works on an old mower deck, and then you'll have to go through the same procedures again. I've learned all this the hard way......

My bearings were bad on mine then I hit a rock and broke the spindle off. Eventually I got rid of the deck and used it as a yard tractor then sold it because I didn't need it.

s-l300.jpg
Well I managed to get the bolt off -- now I can't get the bolt back in to hold the b lade --- probably stripped -- can I make the hole larger by re-threading it and use a larger diameter bolt

That spindle is likely to be made of hardened steel alloy that will be difficult to re-thread, any tap used to do that will have to be very tough. Here is a pic of a complete assembly that will probably fit your deck - available on ebay for 26 bucks including shipping.

Thank you all for your help -- an old man appreciates it -- I think that I will get a spindle assembly -- since one has gone, in your experience does the other one follow? In that case I will get 2 -- I am in Canada and the choice of " where to get " is limited -- virtually all the sellers on ebay.ca are US based -- my grass keeps growing and I have to do something fast -- thanks again

Latest posts

Back