Craftsman 3.4/3.7/4.0 Poulan 3400/3700/4000

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Efisher26

Tinkerer
Reaction score
WHATS EVERYONE GOT?:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures: It seems there needs to be a dedicated post for these saws, so many talk about them. With that said, I have a 3.7/18. My buddy brought me his for a clean up. He has a 3.4/20. The sticker with model # on his is gone. Is there a production year difference that they put the smaller CC eng with a bigger bar?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    728.5 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    701.8 KB · Views: 97
Poulan made both the 3.7 and the 3.4 for Craftsman. Exactly the same and the Poulan 3700 and 3400 for the most part, just red not green and different stickers. If you take the air filter cover or the cylinder cover off they will have a date marked on the plastic on the underside. It will be in a circle and have the last 2 numbers of the year made. Most of them should be in 79-82 year range normally.
You'll see the same 3400 model saws in Dayton orange, Skilsaw yellow, Matercraft yellow, Craftsman gray, Wizard brand and I'm sure I'm forgetting some others as well.

Wow, didn't know there were that many rebrands. Is it as simple as Poulan changing their mind on a 18 bar on the bigger 3.7?

Wow, didn't know there were that many rebrands. Is it as simple as Poulan changing their mind on a 18 bar on the bigger 3.7?

Not sure, that could have been an earlier one or made in Canada, there are so many different variables with them. Look under the cylinder cover or air filter cover and see when it was made.

Forgot they also come in Poulan Pro yellow and black in 3700 and 4000 form. Different numbers though.

So the 3.4 is a 1978, the 3.7 is a '83. His 20in bar makes me want to get one:angry:

So the 3.4 is a 1978, the 3.7 is a '83. His 20in bar makes me want to get one:angry:

Ok, maybe it's got a 20" because it's and earlier version because later the 3.4 didn't come with a 20" bar. Honestly, not a ton of difference between your 18 and his 20.

Anyone looking for one of these?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    354.9 KB · Views: 107
  • image.png
    image.png
    342.5 KB · Views: 102
Found this, why won't it fit my 3.7? Because it's for a "low pro" chain?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    85.4 KB · Views: 39
  • image.png
    image.png
    113.3 KB · Views: 31
Are your seals leaking or just doing them because? Mine are not but everyone says they change them out

Back