Craftsman 3.4/3.7/4.0 Poulan 3400/3700/4000

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always wondered if the red 3.7's were actually 3700's or 3800 Poulans.

As far as my research has gone, thoes are the same, besides color and minor differences in recoil/clutch cvr design. But everything is interchangeable. Craftsman has their powersharp system and Poulan has their adjustable oiler.

Always wondered if the red 3.7's were actually 3700's or 3800 Poulans.

The red 3.7 is a thin ring 3700. The grey saws are always the sluggish 3.4 and 3.7 thick ring. The red 3.4 is also a thick ring bare bore, chrome piston like the grey craftsman 3400, 3800. When I say the 3400 and 3800 are sluggish I am not down grading them by any means but they don't rev up as quick or run with the thin ring chrome bore 3700 and 4000. I have owned a sh!! ton of all them.

Right! One my mine is a red thick ring and the other red is a thin ring

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ill post some pics of mine tomorrow I love these saws my favorite are my twin 375 farm pros both sporting 24" pro bars. I can attest to there stoutness as I dropped an elm tree on one it broke rear handle and smoked a bar but I fixed it good as new.

Are your seals leaking or just doing them because? Mine are not but everyone says they change them out

If the saw runs like it should I personally wouldn't touch the seals.

I don't know that they need replaced, heck the thing starts on the third or fourth pull without a carb kit. But the saw has some sentimental value, I bought it from a now deceased friend. One of the few things I have to remind me of him. I only knew the guy well for about a year but he got me started wood carving. I can't forget that.

I would rather replace seals now than the cylinder later, as I plan on using it hard. It will be my main saw, not that I saw much but it will be doing most of my saw work. It is a lot more powerful than my husky 435 and homelite Super 2. It shouldn't take more than an afternoon or two to split the case. Besides, I hope to have time to spare over the winter. Ha, when do I have time to spare? Better to do seals and carb kit while I don't need the saw than to be rushed to repair it when I need to be using it. I did that this summer with my riding mower. I had to push jard to get the mower deck stripped and repainted. Got sick over it too.

The red 3.7 is a thin ring 3700. The grey saws are always the sluggish 3.4 and 3.7 thick ring. The red 3.4 is also a thick ring bare bore, chrome piston like the grey craftsman 3400, 3800. When I say the 3400 and 3800 are sluggish I am not down grading them by any means but they don't rev up as quick or run with the thin ring chrome bore 3700 and 4000. I have owned a sh!! ton of all them.

The red 3.7 actually came in thin ring as well as thick ring. But you're right about the grey saws and red 3.4s.

"Bottom line" I guess, is that both of these saws run very well. I recommended to both owners that they keep these saws. I also told them that I would service them if they ever broke down and make sure that they ran OK for their children and grandchildren to use.

20160928_184944.jpg I'm kind of embarrassed as they sit so much there pretty dusty. The one with the Oregon bar was given to me by grandpa that's one of the saws responsible for my severe case of CAD.

My only issue is I don't know if I should try a semi skip or not. I watch YouTube of stock 3.4-4000 series cut bigger log(faster it seems to me) then what u see me cutting. I have full chisel no skip now

-Efisher26-

Sounds fine to me next time you cut with it lift the saw about half way through if it immediately starts 4 stroking you should be fine

Latest posts

Back