Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To clarify: Yes, an extension cord can heat up in normal use, meaning plugged into an outlet with an operating appliance on the other end. Yes, a coiled cord will heat up faster, because the heat is concentrated in a smaller space. No, a cord plugged into itself does not contain endlessly circling electricity; that is called a perpetual motion machine and is a violation of physics.

Think about it for a second. The heat emitted by a cord under load comes from electrical resistance. So we know the cord has resistance; therefore electricity cannot circle endlessly in it. The resistance dissipates it. Also, since electricity is the movement of electrons between negative and positive charges, then even if there weren't resistance, the flow would stop once the charges had all evened out and the entire cord was at the same electrical potential.

Also, it wasn't mentioned, but a cord that is plugged in on one end but has nothing connected on the other end will not heat up. There's no current flow, hence no energy passing through the cord to be dissipated as heat. The cord has to be part of an active circuit for it to get hot.

. . .a cord that is plugged in on one end but has nothing connected on the other end will not heat up.
Right.

But just to be a little fussy, unless it has a short.

I only bring this up because I see a lot of extension cords strung up, wrapped around studs or joists, left on the floor or the ground, etc., when not in use, and exposed to damage. Sort of like 'permanent - temporary' wiring. These cord are often kicked around, or run over, and have damaged ends or insulation, and can short if left plugged in (they usually are). If the short is not large enough to trip the fuse/breaker, and there is flammable material nearby, it can lead to a hot time in the old town that night.

Philbert

Tree for Firewood
00I0I_hf5Ac6hB3I6_600x450.jpg
00000_kepOih1DAil_600x450.jpg

Large tree available to be cut for firewood. Need proper equipment and insurance.

http://rockford.craigslist.org/zip/5406283294.html

Right.

Fire inspector showed me after a house fire. Couple had run some extension cords for power, and a mattress on the floor for a bed. Lifted up the mattress and you could see the burnt imprint of the coiled cord, and how the fire progressed through the house.

Even if not insulated like that, the coils do not let the heat escape. I had friend wiring a new house and the electrical inspector made him re-do some of the Romex (NM cable) between the studs, spacing it farther apart, for the same reason. Doesn't have to happen a lot, but enough that it is a concern.

Philbert

Yeah, generally only x amount of wires per hole and conduit.

To clarify: Yes, an extension cord can heat up in normal use, meaning plugged into an outlet with an operating appliance on the other end. Yes, a coiled cord will heat up faster, because the heat is concentrated in a smaller space. No, a cord plugged into itself does not contain endlessly circling electricity; that is called a perpetual motion machine and is a violation of physics.

Think about it for a second. The heat emitted by a cord under load comes from electrical resistance. So we know the cord has resistance; therefore electricity cannot circle endlessly in it. The resistance dissipates it. Also, since electricity is the movement of electrons between negative and positive charges, then even if there weren't resistance, the flow would stop once the charges had all evened out and the entire cord was at the same electrical potential.

Also, it wasn't mentioned, but a cord that is plugged in on one end but has nothing connected on the other end will not heat up. There's no current flow, hence no energy passing through the cord to be dissipated as heat. The cord has to be part of an active circuit for it to get hot.
It may not heat up much but there is still a little bit of current flowing in the coil due to induction effects of alternating current.

Here's the opposite of a craigslist laugh. I hired a painter from a CL ad to paint a bathroom that was all fiddly cut-ins; I just didn't want to deal with it.

I should have known things weren't going to turn out well when she showed up with her tools in a plastic garbage bag and said "Oh good, you have a ladder." I was outside splitting firewood for most of the time she was working, and only got an inkling of what was happening when my wife went in to check on her, came back and told me, "She's doing a really sloppy job." My standards for job quality are quite a bit higher than my wife's are - the words "anal" and "picky" have seen regular use - and if she said it was bad, I knew it was going to be bad.

The "painter" struggled for six hours, getting as much paint on herself as on the walls, and what I received was a paint job in about a dozen randomly-distributed shades of brown. She apparently never stirred the paint at any time over those six hours, and the pigments settled, and so every time she'd pour into her tray she was rolling a different color. This would have been bad on its own, but she made it a lot worse by periodically going back and doing a roll or two on a wall she'd painted earlier because she saw something she didn't like, so there were random strips and patches of color all over the place.

The cut-ins were sloppy and haphazard. There was paint on the sink, the toilet, the tub, the shower, the mirrors, and the ceiling - but amazingly there were places where she'd missed the wall. She claimed she'd put on three coats, but she'd only used one gallon, so I think not. When called out on the uneven results, she blamed the paint. (She had been pushing Behr, but I'd already bought Sherwin-Williams.)

I should have known better. You pay cheap, you get cheap. I wound up taking the whole day off from work today to fix it. Taped straight lines to cover all the wavering cut-ins and repainted the entire room properly. It looks nice now, but I had to put in more effort to fix it than if I'd just painted it myself in the first place. Live and learn.

Here's the opposite of a craigslist laugh. I hired a painter from a CL ad to paint a bathroom that was all fiddly cut-ins; I just didn't want to deal with it.

I should have known things weren't going to turn out well when she showed up with her tools in a plastic garbage bag and said "Oh good, you have a ladder." I was outside splitting firewood for most of the time she was working, and only got an inkling of what was happening when my wife went in to check on her, came back and told me, "She's doing a really sloppy job." My standards for job quality are quite a bit higher than my wife's are - the words "anal" and "picky" have seen regular use - and if she said it was bad, I knew it was going to be bad.

The "painter" struggled for six hours, getting as much paint on herself as on the walls, and what I received was a paint job in about a dozen randomly-distributed shades of brown. She apparently never stirred the paint at any time over those six hours, and the pigments settled, and so every time she'd pour into her tray she was rolling a different color. This would have been bad on its own, but she made it a lot worse by periodically going back and doing a roll or two on a wall she'd painted earlier because she saw something she didn't like, so there were random strips and patches of color all over the place.

The cut-ins were sloppy and haphazard. There was paint on the sink, the toilet, the tub, the shower, the mirrors, and the ceiling - but amazingly there were places where she'd missed the wall. She claimed she'd put on three coats, but she'd only used one gallon, so I think not. When called out on the uneven results, she blamed the paint. (She had been pushing Behr, but I'd already bought Sherwin-Williams.)

I should have known better. You pay cheap, you get cheap. I wound up taking the whole day off from work today to fix it. Taped straight lines to cover all the wavering cut-ins and repainted the entire room properly. It looks nice now, but I had to put in more effort to fix it than if I'd just painted it myself in the first place. Live and learn.

Hey, I need a new sub for Uncle Moustache Home Improvements! (Last one got run out of town.) What's her number??? :laugh:

im not much of a tree faller but sure looks to me like someone miss judged a cut?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-08-16-12-43.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-08-16-12-43.png
    190.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot_2016-02-08-16-12-47.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-08-16-12-47.png
    191.4 KB · Views: 125
BOM FIRE WOOD ONLY FOORTY DOLLARS

cheap fire wood cheap un split - $50 (miller)

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map)

make / manufacturer: wood
model name / number: wood
size / dimensions: veries

I have camp fire wood. Bom fire wood and house burning wood. Unsplit and small like split pieces as well. Tons and tons of it. 50.00 a load for the camp and bom fire wood and foorty dollars a load for the unsplit wood.

wow just 20 bucks per wheelbarrow? thats slightly more expensive than buying it in bundles at the gas station
Fire wood - $20 (Carol stream)

00h0h_h1Nu7nnUGYo_600x450.jpg

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map)

Selling seasoned firewood by wheelbarrow.
$20 each wheelbarrow,roughly 35 to 40 pieces.
Wood is all mixed from my backyard,apple,maple,Mulberry,oak,etc.
I'm in Carol Stream close to North Avenue and Bloomingdale Rd.
Call show contact info
Thank you.
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

BOM FIRE WOOD ONLY FOORTY DOLLARS

I have camp fire wood. Bom fire wood and house burning wood. Unsplit and small like split pieces as well. Tons and tons of it. 50.00 a load for the camp and bom fire wood and foorty dollars a load for the unsplit wood.

Look out, he has a bom! And he's gonna light it!

Free Fire Wood (Orfordville)

I have a about 24 walnut trees in my yard that if you cut them down you can have the wood for free. Serious replies only! I want them gone as soon as Possible!!!!!
94.png

these are the smallest logs I've ever seen.
Free wood for your fire

00E0E_72rm5E7wLLe_600x450.jpg
00s0s_k9hGezFFeLo_600x450.jpg
00b0b_lJqavGnCLHv_600x450.jpg

I am trying to get rid of twigs and logs from a tree that fell in our backyard during the ice storm. Worked on it over the weekend and placed it *neatly* on the curbside. All the twigs are bundled so it can be hauled away - could weigh about 50-60 lbs. And I DON"T KNOW WHAT TYPE OF TREE IT WAS. If interested, pls come and get it. Obviously, it is free. I will take down this post once it is gone. Location shown in map. If unsure, pls reach out.

Back