Crankcase gasket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Junk mail comes in various thickness papers and it works perfect for getting your squish right where you want.
I very seldom use OEM gaskets.

Oooops, wrong gasket.

I make crankcase gaskets more then I want to, but with vintage saws you have no choice a lot of times, OEM is not available.

I have a good auto parts store that sells gasket materials in 3 thickness and is 30" or so wide. I buy it by the running foot. I use what ever thickness is closest to the original gasket.

It is a pain cutting them out but if I can get the old one off in one or two pieces you can use it to as a pattern for cutting out the new one.

I just did one last week for a little Poulan XX and it probably took me longer to cut out the gasket then doing the rest of the whole saw.

I make crankcase gaskets more then I want to, but with vintage saws you have no choice a lot of times, OEM is not available.

I have a good auto parts store that sells gasket materials in 3 thickness and is 30" or so wide. I buy it by the running foot. I use what ever thickness is closest to the original gasket.

It is a pain cutting them out but if I can get the old one off in one or two pieces you can use it to as a pattern for cutting out the new one.

I just did one last week for a little Poulan XX and it probably took me longer to cut out the gasket then doing the rest of the whole saw.

there ya go Mark, draw up some templates for outdated CRANKcases so you can get rich sellin 'em on line....

there used to be a method for sealing 2stroke motorcycle cases, shellac and sewing thread. it was supposed to be better than gaskets.

If it's good enough for aircraft engine crankcases then it's surely good enough for a chainsaw. I remember the first time i saw a guy spray hi-tac on a continental crankcase and then lace a silk thread around the perimeter. It works and works great!

O'Reilleys. Ask for Fel Pro gasket material. Pick out what comes closest to original thickness & material. Rubberized fabric works well for tanks.

Take the tank or cover to your printer/copier/scanner place gasket surface and hit copy button. Helps to stuff white paper towels in cavities to increase contrast. Take the copy and staple in numerous places to gasket material. Plan ahead! Cut out copy. Presto! New gasket.

O'Reilleys. Ask for Fel Pro gasket material. Pick out what comes closest to original thickness & material. Rubberized fabric works well for tanks.

Take the tank or cover to your printer/copier/scanner place gasket surface and hit copy button. Helps to stuff white paper towels in cavities to increase contrast. Take the copy and staple in numerous places to gasket material. Plan ahead! Cut out copy. Presto! New gasket.
dd

Yes on the scanner, done that before but that didn't work for the XX. The crankcase is kinda tapered and it didn't print out the right size.

I clamp the case half to the metal bench and use a hammer and a punch to mark out all the bolt holes.

If it's good enough for aircraft engine crankcases then it's surely good enough for a chainsaw. I remember the first time i saw a guy spray hi-tac on a continental crankcase and then lace a silk thread around the perimeter. It works and works great!

I know nothing about aircraft engines but I know that the thickness of the crankcase gasket on a chainsaw is important to keep the crankshaft end play right on some of them as well as bearing spacing on others.

Back