creeping charlie: how to get rid of it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't get me wrong, I used to hold a ohio license, cat 5a, and love herbicides myself, but....you're just treating the effect. why not shoot for the cause?

creeping charlie (and violets) love acidic soil. grass does not. good regular applications of lime hurts the charlie, and strengthens the grass.
and another thing, raise the mower up, don't cut grass (turf, whatever) too short.
and fertillize the lawn regularly. Lawn grasses should be so thick that nothing else can grow. don't forget to aerate.
oh yeah, most herbicides are acidic, over time, that builds up in the soil.
-Ralph

GroundKprs said:
Eric Kohler recently did a thesis at Purdue on ground ivy (aka creeping charlie). He used samples from several areas of the US and Canada in his study, and did find different responses to chemicals based on origin, so you need to find what works best for you.

You will need to use specific chemicals and proper timing. Get accurate info at http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tips/2004/bdlv189.htm.

I wiped out ground ivy on all my properties years ago with Turflon-D, which is no longer available. It was an ester combo of 2,4-D and triclopyr.

Great link!

We have some 2,4-D, but haven't used it yet. We (my wife and I) have had our most success at grabbing a beer or two after work and spending 15 minutes talking and digging it out manually. You'll "never" get rid of it. We've balked at the chemicals due to dogs, concerns over pregnancy issues.

momentum (spelling maybe wrong) back on the market in NY, applied when cc is in flower, killed all of it in my lawn. I am not a grass guy, all I know is the label that was on my door said momentum(sp?) Three way never did anything, and round up kills everything.

I've had excellent success using 2,4D around my yard to kill off creeping charlie, plantain, dandelion, and all other broadleaf weeds. It does not however do anything against common clover. Clover kill requires some other herbicide, garlon (?) I believe. To achieve the best kill rates of all broadleaf weeds, use the 2,4D at the full recommended application rate. I have found that even at reduced rates, creeping charlie is completely eliminated.

Licensed private pesticide applicator here in SE Michigan.

I had a problem in my yard several years ago with Creeping Charlie. It is considered "very" difficult to remove, but I disagree. The thing to remember when dealing with CC is multiple applications, of the right combination of chemicals, at the right times, with a little patience. You don't eradicate it with one application, you control it down over time until it's eradicated.

First off, the right combination (at least here in SE Michigan) is 2,4-D and Tryclopyr. The 2,4-D will give you *some* quick burn-down, and the tryclopyr gives you the longer-term control. Also, some strains of CC are resistant to the 2,4-D; the tryc will blast those.

Second, the right time is early October, then again in springtime. The weed is putting down carbs to the roots and is most susceptible. Research shows spring apps to be slightly less effective, but in combination with fall they are part of the control strategy. Summer is useless; it is a waste of time, money, and chemicals.

As for timing, two applications two weeks apart worked for me. Hit it immediately (today is Oct. 4), then again two weeks later. Due to the herbicides and the first frost, you will likely see very little in your lawn come November.

But it's still there!! Come springtime, you will see a LOT less sprouting up, but you will see some. Hit it once more, same chemical combo. Do it post-emergence, but before it starts to flower. DO NOT let it flower!!!

You can use off-the-shelf chemicals, I used Ortho Weed-B-Gone. There are several types, you want the "regular" type and the purple-lable type for Oxalis and Clover. The regular has the 2,4-D, the purple has the tryc. The "regular" type has the instructions for tank-mixing and spray concentrations.

Remember, patience is the key. You will get rid of it, but it can take a year to do so.

Good luck!

I had that stuff all over in the yard.. I mixed up a hotbatch of 2-4-d some buctril and some herbimax.. Burnt that stuff into the ground the next day. Works Great also for Thistles/ dandilions// tomatoes..

per 250 gal.
2-1/2 gal 2-4-d
2-1/2 gal buctril
1/4 gal herbimax

be very careful using 2,4-D around desireable trees. I would urge you NOT to use any product containing dicamba around your trees. If the creeping charlie isn't growing near your trees, by all mean go ahead and use whatever. Dicamba is readily absorbed by trees roots and 2,4-D is highly volatile so becareful on hot days when spraying. I think there is a product called Speed Zone that is labeled for use in lawns that contains 2,4-D and can be used during cooler periods as opposed to Trimec where is needs to be sprayed during warmer temps to properly work.

Dixie1 said:
be very careful using 2,4-D around desireable trees. I would urge you NOT to use any product containing dicamba around your trees. If the creeping charlie isn't growing near your trees, by all mean go ahead and use whatever. Dicamba is readily absorbed by trees roots and 2,4-D is highly volatile so becareful on hot days when spraying. I think there is a product called Speed Zone that is labeled for use in lawns that contains 2,4-D and can be used during cooler periods as opposed to Trimec where is needs to be sprayed during warmer temps to properly work.

If the tree roots are coming out of the ground.. then yes be carefull. But wehn i spray i dont soak the ground. Only enough to soak the "enemys" that i would like to eradicate. After spraying the creeping charlie or thistles will pull the chemicle down into thier own root system

Don't feel bad... I've got Violiets, Creeping Charlie, and Creeping Cinquefoil (sp?) in my yard. I've given up and just cut the lawn. I'm not spending the cash for ongoing treatments for 1.5 acres. It's easier to cut than thick grass anyway... LOL

crashagn said:
If the tree roots are coming out of the ground.. then yes be carefull. But wehn i spray i dont soak the ground. Only enough to soak the "enemys" that i would like to eradicate. After spraying the creeping charlie or thistles will pull the chemicle down into thier own root system
TRY FENCING YARD AND GET A DOZEN SHEEP:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back