Crime Doesn't Pay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jere39

Outdoorsman and Pup
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Some time between Thanksgiving (PA Bear Season) and the Monday after (PA Buck season) a very large, and very dead Oak multi-trunk dropped one of the trunks in front of our cabin in the mountains.

IMG_6521.JPG

You can see that one of the other trunks is still standing.

While we (a small group of hunters who own that impressive looking cabin there behind the tree) were in camp an older guy stopped by and asked if he could have the tree. As unlikely as it might seem, wood is our primary source of heat in this cabin (that's called irony), we told him we would be using it all for future heating seasons.

The week after buck season, we were all gone, and he stopped back and fired up his chainsaw and started cutting it. Fortunately, our neighbor hadn't cleared his camp yet, and walked down and told the guy he knew he did not have permission to take the wood. So, he left.

But, he was persistent, and came back another week later, and cut and loaded a pick-up load of the tree, by rolling the rounds up a plank into his truck.. As luck would have it, another neighbor who lived in the vicinity year round recognized the truck when it drove past, and called us to confirm there was not permission. So, a day or so later, our permanent neighbor heard a saw, walked down to our camp, reminded the guy again, that he did not have permission and snapped a picture of him, his truck, and his license plate.

With that information, he called us, and we called the state police barracks in the county where our camp is. As luck would have it one of the troopers had a camp near ours, and agreed to make a couple drive-bys. Wouldn't you know it, but our intrepid thief was back and the trooper spotted him, hit the lights and rolled in our driveway. After a couple feeble attempts to convince the trooper he had permission, he was arrested.

None of us had actually been there in quite a while, but we got a subpeona for a hearing for the guy for 8:30 a.m. this morning. So, one of our members with a Bobcat and bucket grapple and I went up to our cabin Monday to saw up the rest of our tree and move it around back where it wouldn't be such an attractive nuisance.

When we got there we found an estimated cord or more missing from the trunk that fell, and in the process our thief sawed the other trunk down and had started on it. This is what was left when we arrived:

IMG_7233.JPG

You can see the log on the right has had quite a bit removed. I sawed Tuesday morning to cut the remaining logs into Bobcat sized grapple chunks to move around behind the camp. We didn't want to cut them small enough for another thief to grab them, but we wanted them out of sight.

This is an edited video of of me making the first cut, and my buddy attempting to pick and move them.

I say attempting, because, the ground was very wet, and all he actually managed to do was rut up our "lawn" pretty bad. Then he asked me to cut my Bobcat sized logs in half again. So, my buddy gave up, having moved exactly none behind the cabin, loaded his Bobcat back on his trailer, and pulled out his Stihl 029, also with a 24" bar, and tackled another pair of cuts on the smaller log. Here is a still shot of him throwing chips with his nice old 029.

IMG_7234.JPG

Circle back to the original story, our thief was arrested for a variety of offenses, but the Trooper told us that since we didn't have "No Trespassing" signs up, he couldn't get him on on that charge.

So, the President, Vice President (me), and the Secretary of our club completed our Executive Retreat with a new sign, and a group picture with our security team.

Executive Retreat.jpg

Flash forward to this morning, we met with the Trooper, our Neighbor (who was also subpeona'd) at the District Magistrate for a preliminary hearing. The accused arrived with his lawyer and they met with the DA, Trooper, and the Magistrate. The clever DA had measured the distance from the sawed end to the final sawdust pile, took the length and diameter to a local sawmill and got an estimate of what the oak log would have been worth, and listed that as the compensation that we should consider. With all the evidence, the accused caved, accepted a plea bargain, and paid us double the mill log rate (double for penalty). We never even got out of the waiting room. We still have plenty of wood, he cut down the big second trunk for us, and he has now funded our year of electric and insurance (our only cash expenses). For the price of a PA State Forest firewood cutting permit, this gentleman could have filled his truck to his hearts content. Instead, he is out about 15 times that amount. Since we were not ever actually part of the plea bargaining, I don't really know if he got out of a record, but it was a lesson hard learned.

When using a grapple, especially with large logs and a tiny machine, keep the quick tach plate verticle. The way you guys tried was a good way to tip it on its nose.

Amazing that the guy was so stupid/determined that after asking and being told no, he continued to return.

You have some excellent neighbors. I'd be treating them to a little Miller time for their sharp eyes.

Absolutely correct, and we have on several occassions done exactly as you suggest (well, not exactly, he's a Bud man), but we go to the local tavern for dinner when we are at camp without a cook, and we picked up our neighbor every night this week.

im in some ways hardcore..me thinks that thief should have had to pay a MUCH dearer price........say, cut up more than a few trees youd like,,,split it all by hand,,then have to stack it in nice neat rows....that money may not mean much to him.............................but doing that,,would have pissed him off to no end...since it wasn't his....and he would get NONE of it!!!

I'm wondering if the guy might have some mental disorder or other. That is not normal behavior.

Sadly, a few locals to the Northern Tier of PA (and it wouldn't surprise me if many other places too) have taken advantage of the fact there are so many camps and cabins where owners aren't present for many weeks at a time. That's why we don't split far ahead, we've had firewood stolen several times in the past. That's also why there are solid shutters for all the doors and windows on our cabin.

They know the chance of being caught is very slim, and, even worse, without conscience, they know they will have a chance to extract property revenge if they do.

FWIW, last winter at the Jersey shore resort towns gangs were breaking into summer homes and rentals and stealing flat screen tv's, knowing the thefts likely wouldn't be discovered for weeks and the TV could be pawned or CL sold before then. It's kind of a different world than when we built the cabin (well, in our case, our fathers built the cabin) in 1949.

But, and this is the most important part of the lesson: There are plenty of great neighbors there too, and without the organization of a neighborhood watch, we look out for each other and often get the "mountain justice" everyone deserves.

im in some ways hardcore..me thinks that thief should have had to pay a MUCH dearer price........say, cut up more than a few trees youd like,,,split it all by hand,,then have to stack it in nice neat rows....that money may not mean much to him.............................but doing that,,would have pissed him off to no end...since it wasn't his....and he would get NONE of it!!!

It's an interesting idea, and I can't say it wasn't considered. But that's not the way the legal system works here, we would have had to enforce that kind of extra-legal vigilante posse style. And, then, if he had no conscience, and was truely pissed, a 5 gallon can of kerosene and the right dark night would have left us with no cabin at all.

Better to have the guy on record with local law enforcement and magistrate office. He is kind of suspect number one for any damage to our property for the rest of his life.

It's an interesting idea, and I can't say it wasn't considered. But that's not the way the legal system works here, we would have had to enforce that kind of extra-legal vigilante posse style. And, then, if he had no conscience, and was truely pissed, a 5 gallon can of kerosene and the right dark night would have left us with no cabin at all.
need more justice ! old style ! out behind the barn or?????

I had a neighbor like that for several years. It got bad enough his Dad stepped in an evicticted him! I had hadthoughts of going "killdozer" even.

When using a grapple, especially with large logs and a tiny machine, keep the quick tach plate verticle. The way you guys tried was a good way to tip it on its nose.
I disagree. Rolling the grapple down like he did shifts the center of gravity closer to the center of the machine and made it more stable. He nearly tried what you suggested and realized the load caused the rear of the machine to lift so he did the proper thing and brought the load closer to the machine. Your argument is flawed. Besides, the whole thing is only 6-10 inches of the ground, does it really matter? The machines isn't going over very far.

I disagree. Rolling the grapple down like he did shifts the center of gravity closer to the center of the machine and made it more stable. He nearly tried what you suggested and realized the load caused the rear of the machine to lift so he did the proper thing and brought the load closer to the machine. Your argument is flawed. Besides, the whole thing is only 6-10 inches of the ground, does it really matter? The machines isn't going over very far.

Dunno, I have several hundred hundred hours on my grapple which is either mounted to the S250 or TR270. Tilted back has worked better for me.

Same idea as tilting fork tines back.

you question,,the great know it all of AS???? why,,need to know ANYTHING,,just ask him........

Some time between Thanksgiving (PA Bear Season) and the Monday after (PA Buck season) a very large, and very dead Oak multi-trunk dropped one of the trunks in front of our cabin in the mountains.

View attachment 492461

You can see that one of the other trunks is still standing.

While we (a small group of hunters who own that impressive looking cabin there behind the tree) were in camp an older guy stopped by and asked if he could have the tree. As unlikely as it might seem, wood is our primary source of heat in this cabin (that's called irony), we told him we would be using it all for future heating seasons.

that is quite a story. nice your neighbors were looking out for you. main reason I am posting this is to comment about your mountainside cabin! nice! like it... and of course those chimneys poking thru the roof's ridge... I can just image the woodburners inside... any chance some pix of ya'll's mountainside fireplaces? :)

guess you guys gave the firewood thief a thing to think about... or two!!!

Do you have power and phone there?

If you do you could get a basic internet package and put a couple of cameras around the property. The visual will deter most criminals and you can pull them up on your computer whenever you want to make sure things are ok.

We do have electric, and indoor plumbing added over the years. But no landline phone, no cell coverage, no cable delivery to this area, and we do not have a satellite receiver. We could have hung one of my game cams up on a porch post, or even better, on the chimney. But we didn't. Might be an idea for the future.

Latest posts

Back