Crosscut Saw Length?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elephantrider

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am considering buying both a single and two-man crosscut saws. I have seen many two-man saws for sale that are about 5'-8" and single buck saws that are 6' - 6'-5". I am wondering what are the typical sizes for each of these saws or if there is a way to determine the correct size for an individual or two-man team. Is there a rule of thumb that tells you the correct length of saw based on the height, sex, etc, of the individual? I have done a bit of sawing but picking out a saw is all new to me. Thanks in advance for any replies/help

There was a thread here not long ago with some good links for such a question, try search (mine still wonky grrrrr) but when in doubt go Google 'competition crosscut saws' as there are some seriously fine saws being made out there, mostly State side, and contacting one of the co.s will give you the good advice you need. If you are not going to compete then look around the auctions and junk stores for an old one (they tend to be stiffer and more durable) and re-do it. As for the length per user, I don't think there is any rule of thumb, keep it sharp & set, find one that you are comfortable with.
Just another late night 0.02$ worth, if I can track down a link or two I'll post them here.

:cheers:

Serge

The length of a racing saw is determined usually by the size of wood being cut. I own six racing saws from 5-3 up to 6-5. If you want to have most things covered from small to large, get something around 5-6 to 5-8 for a 2man saw and 5-10 to 6-2 for a single saw. In the 10+ years I have been sawing at contests the length of saws has decreased, focusing on better saws and quicker strokes. What is the size of the timbers you will be cutting? There are really only four people making new saws right now. Jim Taylor, JP Mercier, Gaston Duperre and Eddie Fawcett (Tuatahi). New saws range from $1200 to upwards of $2000. Used saws usually go for 2/3 of new, if they are in good condition. There are also a lot of older M-tooth style saws out there that can be had pretty cheap, they just aren't really competetive any more. Any other questions, feel free to ask.

my boyfriend is 6'3" and i am 5'6" and we use a 5'4" crosscut, doubt that will help anything, but just thought id ass that :)

Thanks for all of the replies. The diameter of the wood being sawn would likely be in the 19-21" range. I am probably also looking for a peg and raker saw as they are most commonly used in competitions now. However I wouldn't turn down a good deal on an m-tooth. I should have mentioned this at the beginning. I am 6'-1" and my sawing partner would be 5'-10".
Thanks again for the help.

For that size wood, a saw 5-7 to 5-10 would be my choice. The size of the person running it really doesn't bear anything on how long a saw should be.

a good cross cut saw for firewood

I'm considering to get a 32-36" crosscut saw for cutting firewood rounds.

I use about 1/2 to 1 cord of firewood a year.

Is this too short, or would it be sufficient for my purposes?

Three feet is too short for serious firewood cutting. If you're average size or taller, you can single buck with a five foot saw and get a lot more work done.

This saw's 58". I'm actually standing on a set-back rootball after the crown was cut and the rest stood up at attention.

attachment.php

View attachment 201719

Back