Crosscut sycamore minimum thickness for splitting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Read title above

• 2"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4"

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
You're going to need to get some PEG or something similar in order to completely eliminate any chance of splitting. Without that the thicker the better but I would imagine and of those thicknesses will crack.

You should have added the choice of,

all thickness' WILL crack

Unless you use PEG or know some magic...

SR

You're going to need to get some PEG or something similar in order to completely eliminate any chance of splitting. Without that the thicker the better but I would imagine and of those thicknesses will crack.

What is PEG?

Thanks

A chemical that replaces the moisture in the wood so that it doesn't shrink at all. I read some reviews about it and seems it can make it feel waxy and perhaps effect color.

I've never used it just some of the things I've read. Good luck.

PEG = polyethylene glycol, or more specifically polyethylene glycol 1000. The 1000 refers to the molecular weight. the wood must be freshly cut and it is then soaked in the PEG. It eventually replaces the water so there is no shrinkage and therefore no cracking. The drawback is cost and it never really dries and can weep through some finishes. I have a friend that has had better results using pentacryl.

Back