Cs590 vs rancher 455 for firewood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knoahboer

Reaction score
I have a outdoor wood boiler to heat my house. I fell and cut
mostly dead ash for about 35hrs a season. I was using a 109 dolmar. Right now i am leaning towards a 455 rancher or the cs590. I can get both for about $500 CAN. From what i read both saws are prosumer, which has drawbacks, but I can't seem to justify $300+ for a prosaw.

I haven't run either but its hard to find a bad review for the Echo and it is certainly the direction I would lean between the two. Definitely seems like the best bang for you buck.
However, the 455 has been a really good seller for husky and you probably saw this already but they have some decent promotions available right now.
http://www.husqvarna.com/ca/en/fall-husqvarna-days/

I have owned both, although I havent used the 590 much when I did. I can say the 455 performed flawlessly. The 590 though is a larger displacement motor and a heavier powerhead weight, but made out of magnesium vs the 455 being plastic.
Price is cheaper for the 590 here at $399 with a 5yr consumer warranty vs. Two year on the husky. The 590 is a real simple machine to work on also.
My vote 590- but you have to retune the carb richer when you get it.

I have an older 460 which is almost the same as the 455, and a 590. The 590 runs faster and stronger.
I'm selling the 460, it was my first saw, and did the job, but after getting the 590 two years ago, the 460 isn't fun anymore.
The only advantage to the 455 is not having to tune/open up the saw.

:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

I highly recommend a limiter tab delete,base gasket delete, muff mod, and toss that pos black plastic air horn in the air filter. And then hold on:)

Aside from the laminated bar the 590 is a Professional saw in every respect, and it has great power and speed for the cc's. The clutch doesn't have a removable drive sprocket like the 600 and 620's, but shares many of the same components otherwise.

You will need to remove the limiter caps and fine tune the carb as they are set pretty lean right out of the box, and I would also remove the muffler deflector and open it up as described in other threads on those saws.

As much as I love my Husqvarna saws, the 455 isn't even in the same league as the Echo CS-590/600/620's.......IMHO......Cliff

As a heads up it is not a good idea to post links to saws for sale on any chainsaw forum as if it is a good deal someone in your area will snatch it up while you ponder.

I owned two CS-670's and one CS-6700. I am also a pretty big fan of Echo power equipment, and own and have owned a bunch of it. FWIW, the CS-670 isn't nearly as good anyplace as the CS-590/600/620's. WAY down on power and chain speed, decent mid-range power, and they also lack some of the professional features like the inboard clutch, oils the bar only when the chain is turning, etc.

With risk of getting slammed a bit by Echo followers, I'll also say that the smaller CS-590/600's have more power as well, better ergonomics, and just a much better saw all the way around.

It has also been posted on this site a few times that great improvements await the CS-670's with some porting and tighter squish, but that mean MORE money, so the CS-590 is still a better deal right out of the box....IMHO....Cliff

Back