CSM slab preservative treatment, outdoor storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coltree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi folks.

I'm new to csm. I live in Florida. I'll be milling 8-14" cypress next week, and possibly some swamp tupelo. I also have semi-cured black cherry logs (1.5 years), 8 month-old red oak logs, 2 whole 26" pines (slash and loblolly) to mill for pole barn beams, and a 25' curved red oak spar that is tortuously still alive and resprouting.

Does cypress, with its longevity, require a preservative to store it outside?

I've been looking at preservatives after watching Blaise in trees on YouTube. He's slathering freshly cut slabs with a UK/AU recipe containing disodium octaborate tetrahydrate (DOT) and a smidge of benzalkonium chloride (BC) - Wykabor, made by Wykamol. Wykabor is not available stateside. After reading up a bit, I'm noting that the DOT is great, except it leaches out in rain. The BC is nasty, but the concentration is low. Overall, seems like a great product, but the leaching concerns me. One source notes residual control of mold and microorganisms despite leaching, but the note is vague. This is all academic, since I cannot find this cocktail stateside...

How should a guy in my position proceed, to protect the fruits of csm labor?

Back