CSM Vibration issues with bar clamp and, well, everything...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep - it's a lot to absorb all at once.

Re Stickers
Put a sticker at the very end of each slab - yep the very end.
Also use stickers directly above the concrete supports, I'd also use two stickers on each support as you have done in the middle support

Yep - it's a lot to absorb all at once.

Re Stickers
Put a sticker at the very end of each slab - yep the very end.
Also use stickers directly above the concrete supports, I'd also use two stickers on each support as you have done in the middle support

@BobL

Got it, with one exception. I think the log will roll off if I sticker between it and the supports. I left the rounded bottom slab in place because it fits in the grooves of the supports. The middle support is shimmed for levelling. Does this change anything you said?

I would just tighten by hand with a wrench. I had this issue my first time because I simply didn't tighten it enough. I'm an electrician and when I use an impact gun to set devices it can be hard to judge with a power tool.

You'll know when it's right and like others said you should be making chips and should not have any problems with getting the saw through the cut. Should take minimal effort on your end.

Good luck!

Ps I think we need a thread of embarrassing first time mess ups. I have a couple that I was too embarrassed to post before but would maybe share if others had similar embarrassing scenarios lol.

The first time I used my bigger mill with the 076 O forgot to tighten the aux oil filler cap (a 3/4" brass plumbing cap) and it fell onto the chain at full RPM and ricocheted off the chain right between my eyes, Luckily I was wearing a polycarbonate full face shield but it still gave me a fair whack. I since switched to a black plastic cap.

I don't know. I used the hammer drill on hammer setting. Made it go click-click, y'know... Is it possible to overtighten a bar clamp? I cant imagine tightening it more. My hands got beat up by the drill and I even had the accessory handle on the drill to stabilize it...

Also, I checked the balance from one side to the other to make sure the bar clamps were level/parallel.

I think my rakers are high. The chain is sharp but the saw is spewing small chips/dust. I think I push it through a bit hard, even though I've inclined the log nicely... Could a strong push lead to this?
Yes it is possible to tighten bar clamps too tight. I just drilled the center of the tip & started using 1" AL square bar for that end when the welded nut broke loose.
Are the bolts you are using too long so that the unthreaded part of the bolt hits nut prior to clamp tightening?
Hammer drill is not right as has been said above for the Alaskan.

Really appreciate it @BobL . I'll read everything you suggested here. I've been through the milling 101 thread (and *many* other CSM threads) but it's a lot to remember. Appreciate you pointing me to the post number. All right, thanks everyone, I'll be in touch with an update. Even though I'm at that early sketchy stage, managed to pop these out: View attachment 581256

Let me know if I'm doing anything odd.
Some folks think me odd cause I make my own boards and wide slabs of logs that come my way or I ask about & receive. What size is that double end Granberg bar? I may have interest in it depending on length. PM me please
Work looks good, flat plane. Stay safe & Njoy

Latest posts

Back