Cubcadet CS5018 Carb Adj Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neelix

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi first post here, the saw is pretty much new but has never run correctly.

It idles fine and the low speed response is alright but not perfect, the high speed is useless and the direction in the owners manual don't seem to help at all, it will load up and bog under no load, seems to run a bit cleaner with the air filter assembly removed but still not the way it should. So am I correct to assume it is running rich on the high? And leaning it out by turning the H screw clockwise should help (it didn't't) when I tried it? Again the OM doesn't't state which way is lean,and the adjustment range is limited because of the plastic emission tabs. Also I remember you can open up the exhaust and they run much better what is the process for doing this.

Thanks for your help I have about 15 large trees which will have to be cut down this spring because of the massive ice storm damage we had in the NE.

Regards
Rob

hmmm.

It does sound like a lean condition.
It can be misadjusted or dirty carb or an air leak.
It could also be your muffler screen (carbon fouled).
I would check that screen first and report back.
-br

Since it's new, the best thing you can do is take it back where you bought it if you're not familiar with working on similiar equipment.

Hmm, define "new". Seems like TSC was having closeout sales on the Cub Cadet Efcos 2-3 years ago. Don't know if it was the store or MTD/Cub Cadet that discontinued the saws, but I haven't seen any new ones for sale lately.

If it wont accelerate, then its too lean. There are two jets on the carb, the one closest to the cylinder is the low side or main jet. The other jet controls the high side fuel flow. If the carb has limiter caps on its jets, you will need to remove them with a drywall screw in order to adjust them. Align the tabs on the caps with their slots and pop them off by threading the screw into the hole in the cap. Clip the stops off the caps while theyre out. Put the caps back on the jets to keep them from vibrating out of adjustment.

Dump the gas your using now into your truck and go buy fresh. Mix it correctly and use it within 30 days. Ethanol blended gas goes bad quick these days.

Here is a link with some help on setting up the carb correctly.

http://web.archive.org/web/20051228040631/www.madsens1.com/sawtune.htm

If it wont accelerate, then its too lean. There are two jets on the carb, the one closest to the cylinder is the low side or main jet. The other jet controls the high side fuel flow. If the carb has limiter caps on its jets, you will need to remove them with a drywall screw in order to adjust them. Align the tabs on the caps with their slots and pop them off by threading the screw into the hole in the cap. Clip the stops off the caps while theyre out. Put the caps back on the jets to keep them from vibrating out of adjustment.

Dump the gas your using now into your truck and go buy fresh. Mix it correctly and use it within 30 days. Ethanol blended gas goes bad quick these days.

Here is a link with some help on setting up the carb correctly.

http://web.archive.org/web/20051228040631/www.madsens1.com/sawtune.htm

Thanks for the link, it was a NOS saw,I only ran 2 tanks tops on this saw and the high was never correct, it would just fall flat, you could feel it come off the low speed circuit which in itself was borderline at best. Hopefully I can get this dialed in. The adjustment range is fairly limited and I think it really need to go richer than allowed.

You just can't remove the tabs I take it??

Wow!!

Running great now, fresh fuel some minor tweaks to the L and H now this was how it should have run from the beginning.

On another note my Makita DCS401 should be here very soon!!

Back