Custom flywheels?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astnmacgto

Carnac The Magnificent
Reaction score
Maybe this is a wierd question but here it goes, has anyone experimented with welding up the face of a flywheel or drilling/ pinning it with a heavy metal to get more inertia out of it? Maybe the guys building dirtbike saws are doing it or maybe it's a dumb question.

My mind wanders..... a lot.......

I understand that it would need to be rebalanced and if it was welded up to where the fins were made smaller it would not cool properly. But I'm talking race use only. Just seconds at a time.

Maybe this is a wierd question but here it goes, has anyone experimented with welding up the face of a flywheel or drilling/ pinning it with a heavy metal to get more inertia out of it? Maybe the guys building dirtbike saws are doing it or maybe it's a dumb question.

My mind wanders..... a lot.......

I understand that it would need to be rebalanced and if it was welded up to where the fins were made smaller it would not cool properly. But I'm talking race use only. Just seconds at a time.
Thread revival,
I've thought of this too,
I'm planning on JB welding the flywheel screen on an old saw and see if the extra weight provides any gains.

I would agree. A lighter flywheel would give more throttle response,and more power. Heavier would give more grunt and torque. But never tried it. Curious if anyone has done it either way

The flywheel may also explode in the saw at high revs like a grenade! Some flywheels do say on them that alteration may cause burst hazard. Whatever you do,don't do anything to weaken the flywheel or put it out of balance.

On dirtbike engines they bolt weights to the flywheel to give it more torque on the bottom end. It gives a tractor like power.

I wonder if there’s a difference in weighting the flywheel with the longer bars.?

If we machine an area on the flywheel so washer type weights can be added.

I wonder what difference it would make to static balance the crankshaft.

I wouldn't add any weight to a chain saws fly wheel, its not going to be helpful at all.
Fly wheel weights do not add power at all, they keep the motor from gaining or losing rpms quickly, on a dirt bike (which I have and it has a fly wheel weight) fly wheel weights keep you from spinning wildly when you lose traction at low rpm as they make the motor rev up a touch slower when unloaded, they also keep the motor from losing rpm when you grab traction at low rpm helping prevent stalls. They are not made or recommended for smaller cc high revving bikes as they make them slower to rev up which makes them slower, same thing would happen to a saw, it would be slow revving and not work any different at 13000 rpm.

Back