Custom machined billet head (Fundraiser For Adirondackstihl)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can put a removable head on a horizontal cylinder saw pretty easily. Stihl made a prototype version of the 075 called the "050 Super", which essentially had an 075 jug with a removable head, and a lighter weight, single-ring piston. Saw-King had one in his shop for years. A lot of the Macs had removable heads. The D-44 and 44/55 Supers had removable heads.

Any pics or info on the current whereabouts of this prototype ?
:):chainsaw:

Toroidal???, does that come with fries and a drink??? I better get reading!!!

Always liked those race saws, they look like a piece of art.

What would a race saw like that in the pic cost??? What cc is it???
It can get stupid expensive. A guy might drop 5k on a saw, the work and a chain.

Toroidal???, does that come with fries and a drink??? I better get reading!!!

Always liked those race saws, they look like a piece of art.

What would a race saw like that in the pic cost??? What cc is it???

If you refer to the pics I posted, that's an MS880.
Started life at 123cc. I'm guessing with reduced squish and tighter combustion chamber (only a guess.....thinking higher compression) that the total cc's were actually slightly reduced.
I could be TOTALLY off base here.

Touché

But would that be different if we were talking about small block V8's?
Wouldn't increasing or decreasing head volume affect displacement ?
No sir ,displacement is based off bore and stroke ,you have to shortren or lengthen the rod ,or bore the cylinder to change displacement .

Edit : A different crankshaft with longer or shorter throw can also be used to change displacement .

No sir ,displacement is based off bore and stroke ,you have to shortren or lengthen the rod ,or bore the cylinder to change displacement .

Edit : A different crankshaft with longer or shorter throw can also be used to change displacement .

Changing rod length doesn't affect displacement.... Only changing bore or stroke.

Bore x Bore x Stroke x .7854 x number of cylinders = displacement

Changing rod length doesn't affect displacement.... Only changing bore or stroke.

Bore x Bore x Stroke x .7854 x number of cylinders = displacement

Yeah but making a separate head reduces the amount of flatulence you can get into the combustion chamber prior to compression and ignition.

Back