Cutting cookies larger than bar length

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepe_silvia

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've got someone who wants some 4' diameter stumps cookied. I've got an MS660 with 36" bar. My thought was to use my Granberg Alaskan mill and run it without the extension (so it's like the Mini-Mill) and just go in a circle. Everything I've used it on so far has been flat-sawn.

Am I an idiot, or will this work?

It may work, but you may have a helluva time keeping it aligned. Why not just reach over to the far side of the log, cut in about a foot and then come straight down per normal? If you are worried about alignment, chalk a line with string and cut to it. It'll be faster to chalk and cut than to set up the granberg and trial it until it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may work, but you may have a helluva time keeping it aligned. Why not just reach over to the far side of the log, cut in about a foot and then come straight down per normal? If you are worried about alignment, chalk a line with string and cut to it. It'll be faster to chalk and cut than to set up the granberg and trial it until it works.

Sooo short answer is yes he is an idiot. lol just kiddin, I have no idea

Ah, I should have specified. The stumps are still in the ground. Does that change anything in your opinion?

if the bar holds on the horizontal plane, should work, if not you will cut dishes. Could always try starting the cut as normal setup but go around with a rail guide, when you can not go any further inside the log take the end of the mill off as you said and use the existing cut for the mill bar. Get the first cut right and all the others should follow

if the bar holds on the horizontal plane, should work, if not you will cut dishes. Could always try starting the cut as normal setup but go around with a rail guide, when you can not go any further inside the log take the end of the mill off as you said and use the existing cut for the mill bar. Get the first cut right and all the others should follow

Thanks for the advice! I'll give it a go and let you guys know how it goes.

Back