Cutting firewood with a Skid-steer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gink, I finally got a connection that allows me to see your pics and that is more steer than my neigbhor had for sure. His would not have done that. He must have had a 753 or smaller. That is sure impressive. Can you move with that load? His is my grapple up close.
316698783.jpg

Yeah I can move with that, I have to go slow and low but I loaded it on a trailer to haul to the junk yard, in fact that car and some other scrap paid for that 7900 you got me!

I seen your grapple up close at your GTG, it is a very NICE grapple.

July08003-1.jpg

You can see the truck and trailer in the background, I unloaded it from there and drove to where the Bobcat is setting.

Woodmaster007.jpg

WK I have similar Erskine which I like for many tasks, but for carrying log I wish i had a larger throat. It is nice that you can carry small pieces and hold them tight, but it is hard to get more then 2 pieces in it at once.

As for rated lift, a 773g is rated 1750 and forward tip (max lift, on level ground) is 3500 lbs Pretty stout fora 46 hp, 5800 lb machine

753 is 1300 lbs rated, 2600 tipping.
Gehl has a 100 hp model that can lift 8000 lbs tipping load

Just don't drive down hill forward with a max load because rated capacity changes quick when your off level.

The long wheel base models are more sure footed on hilly terrain. Nh and Deere are among the leaders here.
Any skidsteer operator has to be quite in tune to the balance of the machine when operating, especially on rough terrain. Here a tractor may provide a extra sense of security.
But imho the fast hydraulics and that awesome hydrostatic transmission will spoil you once you learn to tame the beast.

I think you would be surprised how well it could pull a wagon too, but of course you would have to pull it traveling backwards and would be limited 7 mph. So the tractor wins hands down there.
Ken

I think you would be surprised how well it could pull a wagon too, but of course you would have to pull it traveling backwards and would be limited 7 mph. So the tractor wins hands down there.
Ken

I've seen this mentioned a couple times now, they have 2 speed SS out there I think max speed gets bumped to 12-15 mph, but mine is a single and 7MPH is max of it.

I have a 60 hp tractor and use of backhoe at my disposal, the skidloader gets used more than anything. They all have there place but out of all of them the Bobcat would stay. No question about it, I'd be lost without that thing, and so would some of my loader tractor owning buddies:)

Yes 2 speed is available on many models now too, but it is tough to find a flat enough surface to make good use of high range with such a short wheel base. You also loose 1/2 your axel torque in high range.

It is a must have option for the guys doing snow removal though.
Ken

grandpatractor,what kind of OTT are you running on your John Deere SS? They look well built.
I agree a tractor is much better for pulling a wagon thru fields,no contest.Id take the 32hp 1910 over my 80hp Cat anyday skidding logs or pulling any type of wagon.

grandpatractor,what kind of OTT are you running on your John Deere SS? They look well built.
I agree a tractor is much better for pulling a wagon thru fields,no contest.Id take the 32hp 1910 over my 80hp Cat anyday skidding logs or pulling any type of wagon.

I bought mine from Deere but they are the same as this.http://www.grouser.com/tracks_bar.php

I have both... SS and a tractor... if you do decide to go the tractor route get 4WD you wont be sorry.. but then we also dont have hills here either.

Well we got four dump trailer loads and three pickup loads. Still another dump trailer load to go.

Total about 7 cord.
attachment.php

Last edited:
It is a 3/4 ton but there is a lot of wood on board. I wish I knew how much weight I'm pulling.

Right,it is a 3/4 ton,only 8600gvwr.Your very heavy! Your overweight on the truck,probably on the trailer as well.Id do the same if i were you,just go slow! When i fill my 7x14 dump,its at 14000-15000lbs,on a 14000GVWR,towing behind 9200GVWR 2500HD.

If you have a grain elevator nearby or a gravel company it is well worth stopping in and getting weighed fully loaded. It is a good number to know and it helps to plan loads accordingly. One stop by the weight cops and it can ruin your whole month. Back when I drove truck in NY it was the only thing you could not argue before a judge to get out of. When they had you overweight, they had you and you wrote them a check, end of debate. Around here they are harassing trucks especially loaded ones because it is easy money for them.

If you have a grain elevator nearby or a gravel company it is well worth stopping in and getting weighed fully loaded. It is a good number to know and it helps to plan loads accordingly. One stop by the weight cops and it can ruin your whole month. Back when I drove truck in NY it was the only thing you could not argue before a judge to get out of. When they had you overweight, they had you and you wrote them a check, end of debate. Around here they are harassing trucks especially loaded ones because it is easy money for them.

The only place close is a elevator in town. A little too far.

Cops only go after the commerial trucks around here. Mostly the dump trucks that are hauling gravel. I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble with a pickup+trailer.

Plus we were only hauling about six miles one way.

Thanks for the heads up. :)

Cops only go after the commerial trucks around here. Mostly the dump trucks that are hauling gravel. I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble with a pickup+trailer.
Thanks for the heads up. :)

My brother said that in his area of NY (CNY) they started harassing him about 2 years ago. He has F450s and a dump trailer. No name on the side of his truck, but they still started bugging him. Even when not pulling the trailer they will pull him over and run his vehicle through an inspection. He constantly checks his rigs now to make sure they can't get him on anything, but they sure do try.

Around here (MN) they started bugging folks about a year ago. Their favorite place is just North of the town where my kids go to school. I see the staties "commercial inspections division" SUV with trucks and truck-trailer combinations pulled over almost daily. I have seen all sizes of trucks pulled over. They seem to be checking every part of the vehicle.

Latest posts

Back