Cutting/Splitting for a Children's Camp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heading to camp this week for round three of tree work. Last summer we dropped ~25 trees and made about 8 cords of firewood. There's still about two dozen dying/dead trees, primarily red oak, white ash, and sugar maple. I didn't have room to bring my saw so we'll be putting my friend's MS211 to task. Most of the remaining trees are from 16-30" dbh so I'll start small and work larger until I run out of time. Then come summer maybe I can convince @MechanicMatt and @MustangMike to bring up their flock of 70+ cc beasts to drop the bigger trees.

Wish I was closer to help out. Looks like you are making some nice piles as is!! Keep at it.

Despite heavy rains for most of the afternoon, I set up a work area under a tarp and got some wood split for a children's camp.

My kid is dying and got into one of these camps - we all went and had a week together without pondering meds, mortality and the like. I spied the wood piles and wondered what kind of good samaratin made the camp fires possible. Thanks.

The company I work for has a camp as well. It's used year round. I'm going to contact the director and see what they use for heat. Thanks for the idea.

Drove nonstop 21 hours from MN and rolled into rural Albany this afternoon. After all of the drama about extreme winter in the NE I was quite surprised to see that there was only 14-16" of snow on the ground.

We identified a good number of sugar maple, oak, and black cherry that will be coming down on Monday.

They're lucky out there. We're getting 8-12 more inches right now. The trick with the nor'easter is that the storm gets trapped or slowed at the coast and as it sits, it swirls over the Atlantic to pick up moisture and bring it back to land. So the folks inland get noticeably less snow. Looks like the storm they're talking coming through Tuesday - Wednesday won't amount to much.

Get some rest!

Woke up to about 7" of new snow. Just got done cooking cheesy corned beef hash omelets and watching the snow fall. Today is a day of rest, tomorrow we shall cut.

Told my buddy we needed winter weight bar oil. He came home with a gallon of Stihl blue. I'm curious how much that ran him.

My son brought me a gallon of blue(14.95)ouch-and he didn't even ask to be reimbursed. Just curious, where is the camp located? I am on the NY-Pa border between Binghamton and Elmira,NY.

My son brought me a gallon of blue(14.95)ouch-and he didn't even ask to be reimbursed. Just curious, where is the camp located? I am on the NY-Pa border between Binghamton and Elmira,NY.
Just east of Albany.

I covered Binghamton and Elmira for work when we used to live up here, neat area with lots of history.

Anytime we travel back this way with a trailer I will take the southern tier expressway to save the on the extra tolls from 90.

Dropped 17 trees this afternoon at the children's camp including several black cherry, 4 unknown (see separate ID thread), 2 white ash, a red oak, and a black birch. Bucked most of them but a couple of the cherry were pretty laced with PI so I'll let them lay for a year before bucking. Those cherry wood chips sure smell good!

Black birch and mystery trees.
image.jpg
Black cherry in foreground and ash in background.
image.jpg

Well, no itchiness today. I had accidentally severed a couple PI vines yesterday but the bar was in the snow so I *hoped* that I would be ok. I also washed my outerwear last night.

Looking great!
May I ask you why you are so willing to help out a camp hundreds of miles away?
Not that I am putting down any volunteer work whatsoever, as I try to help out others, but why so far away?

Anyways, keep on paying it forward you are doing a wonderful service to so many people.

Wish there were more like you.

Looking great!
May I ask you why you are so willing to help out a camp hundreds of miles away?
Not that I am putting down any volunteer work whatsoever, as I try to help out others, but why so far away?

Anyways, keep on paying it forward you are doing a wonderful service to so many people.

Wish there were more like you.
This is where my kids went when we lived here. We come back a couple times per year so they can go to winter and summer camp. Many of the staff have become friends and I believe they do a great job introducing the younger generation to the outdoors. My kids get plenty of exposure on their own but a lot of the people who come here are from less fortunate/troubled homes and are able to attend thanks to their excellent scholarship program.

This is where my kids went when we lived here. We come back a couple times per year so they can go to winter and summer camp. Many of the staff have become friends and I believe they do a great job introducing the younger generation to the outdoors. My kids get plenty of exposure on their own but a lot of the people who come here are from less fortunate/troubled homes and are able to attend thanks to their excellent scholarship program.

keep up the good work.
you are the man dude.
we are losing people like you and i wish i was able to help out.
i try to do whatever i can around here, but without a drivers license i am very limited.

after reading about all you are doing it is giving me a push to try to do the same in regards to trying to help with wood heat.

If anyone is in the midcoast maine area and would like free trees please message me. I have access to around 200 acres and would be willing to help. I have all the machines needed to C/S/S. Many are needed to come down this spring and i would rather give to a good cause than to sell.

Dropped two good sized sugar maple and a red oak this afternoon. Finished bucking the trees I dropped earlier this week as well. Final tally was 21 trees felled for the camp this week.

Dropped right where I wanted it, safely short of the fence.
image.jpg
Same tree looking downhill. About 16" DBH
image.jpg
Maple #2, the trunk was solid but the top was pretty rotten.
image.jpg
Stump from #2. Gave this little saw a workout today!
image.jpg
Surprised to see so much core rot in this red oak. This one landed with a most satisfying "whonk" as there is about a 8' drop off in front of me.
image.jpg
First hit with my buddy's new Fiskars, a one shot kill.
image.jpg
Split everything up to the main trunk which will be used for a campfire bench.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back