Cutting tree after lightning strike

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stint

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Had a pretty good sized Red Oak take a direct hit late last summer.
Knocked most of bark off bottom 10 feet or so and killed 'er deader than a doornail for this year.

Would naturally like to use for BTU.

But, been doing some scary reading about results from superheated sap, internal fracturing and splintering hazards using chain saws, etcccc on trees hit by lightning.

Any experience out there from this knowledgeable group; good bad or indifferent??

THX

Last edited:
But, been doing some scary reading about results from superheated sap, internal fracturing and hazards using chain saws, etcccc on trees hit by lightning.

Any experience out there from this knowledgeable group; good bad or indifferent??

THX

What.... Id like to know about this too. Gotta big gum tree that lightning took care of.

I've cut down a dozen or so mature trees that died after lightning strikes. Mostly hardwood but a couple pine and spruce as well. I never had anything unusual happen. Good thing I didn't read up on it first or I might not have tried them.

So no useful info from me (well, except for the absence of strange happenings), but I'll be interested to see what surfaces on this topic, too. :)

I've cut down quite a few lighting struck oaks. I have not had anything occur any different than with a live tree. We usually let them stand six months to a year before cutting them. The only thing I look for is to check and see if they split when hit and how far down the trunk the split goes. I have cut some that have been there a while and just have to watch to make sure the top is solid enough that it won't come apart and fall and hit us. If the trunks is solid I'd just fall it like any other tree.

I've cut down quite a few lighting struck oaks. I have not had anything occur any different than with a live tree. We usually let them stand six months to a year before cutting them. The only thing I look for is to check and see if they split when hit and how far down the trunk the split goes. I have cut some that have been there a while and just have to watch to make sure the top is solid enough that it won't come apart and fall and hit us. If the trunks is solid I'd just fall it like any other tree.

Well then I guess that explains all them rumors about you glowing in the dark.

I guess.lol We have a ridge that parallels the creek that runs through our place, years ago it was cleared off with them leaving prolly fifty big oak trees.
We've probably lost at least 15 of them over the years from lightning strikes.
It's a dang shame. We've had one or two come back and survive them, that's why we usually leave them standing for awhile.

The only thing I look for is to check and see if they split when hit and how far down the trunk the split goes. I have cut some that have been there a while and just have to watch to make sure the top is solid enough that it won't come apart and fall and hit us. If the trunks is solid I'd just fall it like any other tree.

Had one mature red oak that had recovered from lightning and had a healed split from the main fork (about 15 feet up) down to the ground. Came down perfectly, but did manage to bind up my bar at one point while I was bucking. One segment went one way, the other segment went the other = twister bar! :D

I had an 80 foot red oak in my yard get hit by lightning about 12 years ago. It tore off a strip of bark about 1 inch wide from at least 30 feet up to the ground. We were hoping it would be ok but no leaves came out the next spring. I left it standing for a year, then took it down with no problems. It had no internal splits. I'm not saying they're all solid after a zap, but this one was.

That lightning can really do some damage. That gum tree is at my shop. I just come in from work and parked a gooseneck trailer with 200 bales of straw on it about 40 feet from the tree. I knew it was supposed to rain so i got the tarp and bungie cords out to cover the straw up so itd be dry enough to blow the next day. Lightning struck the tree that night and that bark was stuck all in the side of that tarp. Some pieces went through the tarp and was stuck in the straw, pretty deep too. That bark had to really have some momentum behind it.lol

Dad and I took down a monster White Oak a few weeks back. He said that it'd been lightning hit at least 5 times that he could remember. I though it was going to give us some fits, but went over great. When measured a a height of 4' it had a circ. of 12.9'. That came out to 4.2' in dia. if I remembered right. One day that 084 might get it's 48'' wings! JJuday

I cut down my favorite black cherry tree after it took a lighting hit. It had a 3" scar running down its length that you could clearly see from a thousand feet away.

No problems what so ever and that was the sappiest tree that I can recall...

...and over time probably harvested 6 or so other less sappy trees with no issues worth mentioning.

My cutting experience is limited to just this area.

In Sept 2011, I had a large Red Oak tree in my front yard. It's base was about 39" and it was about 60 feet tall. It was stuck by a direct hit and killed. It turned brown in less than a week. It stood until Dec. and then I had it felled by a tree surgeon. We cut the trunk up to the first saddle. I got three 10' logs. A local sawyer cut them to 5/4 planks and squared the edges. I has cured now to the point I can use it. I just finished a large modern style table top and two end tables. The lightning that traveled through the wood, burned small tunnels along the sap veins. When finished, a piece that highlights those holes, shows the very best "distressed" look of all.
61181_1276069601680_1119166_n.jpg
419029_2386620404756_293942591_n.jpg
395314_2386618804716_706944223_n.jpg
423243_2461093426535_49321835_n.jpg
11923251_10202997199410777_1520161410423526250_n.jpg

Old wives tale says that burning lightning struck wood will cause your house to burn down. I'm slightly superstitious so I made sure the only two lightning struck trees I ever cut went in the fire pit pile. ;)

I have cut plenty of them up. They cut, split and burn fine. I don't discriminate, I make room in the back of the truck for it all.

Latest posts

Back