• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Cylinder for Jonsered 90

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin j

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a J red 80 that needs a piston set, bearings, seals, etc. Cylinder is pretty good.

So, my thought is if I am doing the work and buying a piston set, should I look for a 90 cylinder and get a bit more power out of it?

1. Anyone have a decent 90 cylinder to put on it. I have not yet checked with Chainsawr.

2. Does meteor make 80 or 90 pistons?

no rush,, just thoughts for now. thks,
kevin j. Minnesota

Edit: If Mike Acres info is correct, the 90 is only 87 cc, not a large increase.
80 is 3.53 kW at 8000 rpm.
90 is 3.8 kW, but at 8500 rpm.
So taking the same torque of the 80 from 8000 up to 8500 rpm accounts for all the increase in hp. That tells me the extra 7 cc doesn't add much torque, and it's not worth the cost of upgrading.
In the real world, there must have been reasons for the 90 (other than the air filter, decomp, and other changes).
So, should this idea of upgrading (assuming I can even find a cylinder) be ditched. It sounds like for the money, I should just piston kit it and stay at 80. (Not a work saw, just a fun toy, or maybe to sell.)

Back