Cypress Saw Log Value

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zack_M

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was hoping someone might be able to provide some information on how much Cypress sawlogs typically are selling for. I spoke to a tree service the other day about purchasing some 36"+ Cypress saw logs (green not sinker) he's taking down this week but I haven't been able to find any info on what mills are paying for them.

Anyone in the southeast sold any recently?

Out of curiosity it would be interesting to know and what cypress is used for. I suspect it's impervious to rot,so may be good for decking?

Out of curiosity it would be interesting to know and what cypress is used for. I suspect it's impervious to rot,so may be good for decking?
Mature cypress is highly resistant to decay so in general it is good for outdoor projects. I've seen it used quite a bit as siding though the cost has gone up making it somewhat cost prohibitive.
I'm sure it has been used in deck construction but again refused availability of old growth trees and increasing costs would make it quite expensive.
It's used quite a bit for flooring giving a warm and rustic appearance.
Beekeepers love it for hive construction because of its longevity when exposed to the elements.
It's used by many woodworkers for custom furniture with wide slab tables being rather popular in the southeast.
Cypress knees are quite popular for carving though harvesting them can seriously injure or kill the trees.

My grandfather used it for gates on the farm. As long as it isn't in constant contact with water (dirt), it lasts a long, long time. He started farming hogs in the late 1940's and those gates are still on the property here. They are sun bleached for sure but still still functional. The last hogs left here in 1993.

Hope that helps.

Back