Dad's Husqvarna 61

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demontang

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my father passed away new years eve. He told me I could have his husqvarna 61 which I've got to use a little over the years. He got it new in 85 and it's been his baby but the filter was a mesh one and started to leak a little. I noticed today after I got a felt filter in there was fine dust in the carb so I freaked out and pulled the plug to see some marks around the exhaust opening:( it doesn't look to bad but I want this to last forever and think I want a piston and cylinder. What's the best quality and any way to up the hp a little will I'm at it?

I'm doing one myself. There's a meteor kit for the later versions (Orange and grey top) but I haven't sourced a kit for the older ones yet. I'm assuming yours is a white top also ?

STOP PANICING AND BE THE MAN YOUR FATHER WANTED YOU TO BE!

Seeing some "marks" means NOTHING! Could be simply from regular use. Wouldn't panic one second as long as you don't have a compression test done. And you have to do the compression test BEFORE ripping apart the saw in total panic! When I see how many of the "old" saws(contra, 041, etc.) I have that have virtually only a coarse mesh left in place of an airfilter and how well they are running, fine dust means nothing.

Personally I see the situation that this saw is essentially a normal home user volume use saw. I presume it probably hasen't been used in the last 5 and hardly in the last 10 years. Further since this will be more a "wall hanger" than a regular use saw I wouldn't do anything to the saw.

What would I do?
First off the compression test. Even if it was ok I would at least buy all the seals, as long as they are still available and at least give them a good shot of silicone oil before stashing them away, so that they don't dry out to much over time.
Further I would get a carb kit and all rubber(fuel/oil lines, etc.) new and either replace now or, after above sealing, sometime down the time road.

I would NOT buy a new topend as long as I am definately sure that it is really dead! That means that you have really deep gouges in the cylinder and that it is not only aluminum transfer which is easily remouvable(just do a search here and you will find dozens of "how to's"). Only then would I even think about replacing an original, which is about always better compared to a aftermarket.

And last if you want more power I would get a new saw. Even a Echo 590 should be in the same power range and will only set you back ~400$. And if you want something to play with get a husqvarna 365xp and grind out the transfers(=> essentially making it into a 372xp) and enjoy unlimited 70cc power.

Good luck!

Well haven't had time to play with it yet. I'm going to do a compression test tonight and see where it's at. After running the 372 I don't think it's down power but the 372 seemed sick cause it couldn't run a 24" bar it poplar

Well haven't had time to play with it yet. I'm going to do a compression test tonight and see where it's at. After running the 372 I don't think it's down power but the 372 seemed sick cause it couldn't run a 24" bar it poplar
You should check the 372 out cause in poplar it should be like a hot knife through butter.

Well not sure of the compression Cause my gauge isn't for small engines. But all of my saws where reading 85-95 psi on it.

I checked my 025 with my Snap on compression tester and had much higher compression than that. If yours is the kind you hol;d against the plug hole, you may be leaking air. Mine screws in like a plug.

Mine is a old one from the mid 70's. My 394 will rip your arm out of socket and it hit 87 psi on the gauge. Need to find a new valve for it and see if it helps.

So after replacing the valve in the gauge I'm getting 140 psi in the 61 and my 394. That should be decent compression still
Compression testers, for small engines atleast, should have a valve at the bottom of the hose to hold in the progressive compression of each pull. I believe what you have is more for a motor with electric start. I agree tho. My bottom valve went bad and I had trouble getting more than 75psi.

Latest posts

Back