damaged piston/cylinder? husqvarna 254xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holding saw by pull cord only will compression make it drop slowly and lump over? Should fire even compression is low.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It could be - you said you put the old ring in it. Did you check the plug gap on the new plug? Also, did you check the end gap on the ring before you installed it? Even with proper gap, if the old ring had been over heated it could lose it's tension and seal poorly. Can you do a compression test?

Cant do a compression test. No tools for it. Hum will take it apart and check if correctly installed i guess. Weird i aint getting nothing from it...

New plug out of box. So that is covered.
Can it be insufficient compression?
If the saw weight when held by pull cord only drops in clumps you have compression... Cheap compression test. You would probably know if you had none. Even with low compression or a minor air leak it should still fire. I'm curious if squirt of gas in carb throat it will at least fire. No primer bulb so squirt gas in, pull trigger and pull choke and push back in to set high idle and avoid flood and pull a bunch and see if squirt will fire. If not pull choke and try some more... It will keep the high idle.

Also after that try pulling with trigger held at full throttle and see if she fires.

My 262 can be a real bear if you don't get it to pop on choke and pull like crazy. Then I have to keep choke in and pull a gazillion til she starts to fire.

Chain brake on with a really strong drop start may help.

Hope you get her! I feel the frustration.

If the saw weight when held by pull cord only drops in clumps you have compression... Cheap compression test. You would probably know if you had none. Even with low compression or a minor air leak it should still fire. I'm curious if squirt of gas in carb throat it will at least fire. No primer bulb so squirt gas in, pull trigger and pull choke and push back in to set high idle and avoid flood and pull a bunch and see if squirt will fire. If not pull choke and try some more... It will keep the high idle.

Also after that try pulling with trigger held at full throttle and see if she fires.

My 262 can be a real bear if you don't get it to pop on choke and pull like crazy. Then I have to keep choke in and pull a gazillion til she starts to fire.

Chain brake on with a really strong drop start may help.

Hope you get her! I feel the frustration.

Thanks for the answer.

Tried all you gave me here, nothing, not the slightest. :(

Wow -- too bad you are not in the states usually there is someone around from the forum that can help.
I hope you get it figured out. Maybe a coil isn't a bad idea. Too bad someone doesn't have one laying around from a parts pile to try.

hmm, just took off the carburator, flipped the saw up side down, and out came like.....5-8 teaspoons of gas (atleast). Drowned?

Ok -- lower half flooded means you'll never get a charge in the cylinder.
Some of the guys on here can comment further on puddling problems in the bottom end of the saw. Maybe if you get it all cleared out you can get it fire before it puddles like that again.

Getting beyond my knowledge of what is going on. At least you know root cause of it not firing.

Maybe turned it over a bit w/ carb off to line up intake transfer to really allow the lower end to drain good and then once it's totally dry see if you can get it to fire.
If it puddles again, it's beyond my knowledge of what may cause that beyond the choke just bringing in more and more / too much fuel and collecting in lower end.

Best of luck!

Ok -- lower half flooded means you'll never get a charge in the cylinder.
Some of the guys on here can comment further on puddling problems in the bottom end of the saw. Maybe if you get it all cleared out you can get it fire before it puddles like that again.

Getting beyond my knowledge of what is going on. At least you know root cause of it not firing.

Maybe turned it over a bit w/ carb off to line up intake transfer to really allow the lower end to drain good and then once it's totally dry see if you can get it to fire.
If it puddles again, it's beyond my knowledge of what may cause that beyond the choke just bringing in more and more / too much fuel and collecting in lower end.

Best of luck!

aight, ill take it apart again, let it rest till tommorow.
And wait for (hopefully) more feedback here! :)

thanks alot!

gave it a few more pulls, after taking out the gas from the lower champer.
Pulled a few times with choke on, and without. Nothing.

Took of the carburator and flipped the saw, and again...few teaspoons of gas came out.
Does this mean that it floods the lower chamber?

That's what it sounds like to me, but again I'm not an expert in that area.
I'm wondering if you don't use the choke at all after getting it dry again will it still fill the lower end.

I don't see how it could fill the combustion area w/ gas as it would have to go in through the lower end and up the transfer ports into the combustion area... then be like a "hydro lock".
I'm assuming all of your teaspoons of gas coming out are coming out of the lower end. The fuel in the lower end needs to be atomized and go up the transfers (the charge) to have any hope of it firing.
Again this is all my own thoughts and there are others who know way more than I :)

@Paragon Builder @Mattyo @drf255 @Canadian farm boy @angelo c @wcorey

Just mentioned a whole bunch of my friends who have more experience than me re-building saws. See what ideas they have :)
Chronic puddling of fuel in the lower end makes we wonder about carb just totally over metering fuel in. Impulse system pumping fuel and something is not prevent it from just flowing in liquid form into your lower end ... a guess.

Good luck!

thanks! will wait for MUCH needed help on this. :angry:

also opened the carburator, full of gaz as well, top and buttom.

Carb needle.lever set too high...or....needle is stuck open

When you saw "lever set too high" what are you refering to?

Check the needle, seemed ok, I cleaned with brake cleaner, as you suggested. Tested the needle and unscrewed it etc. Seemed to bounce fine up and down.

Pinch the fuel line or remove the line from the carb....spray some brake cleaner down the throat....try to start....will it pop?

I will try this asap. (late here, almost midnight, will try tommorow)

Thanks a TON for showing up Mattyo :happybanana:

Back