Damn back spasms!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try all sorts of stuff although I'm not great at keeping up with it - stretches, core strengthening, etc. I am not a fan of taking a pill to make things go away so I almost always just suck it up and deal with it.
Best thing for a bad back is a couple helpers. No joke.

Just seeing this "resurrected" post from the past; did anyone ever try the Somatics stretches that Nelson 727 talked of? I watched some of their videos and tried a few last night, and they seemed to help, was wondering if anyone else tried them and what results you got?

I had a ruptured L5-S1 in 2007, was diagnosed with a "sports hernia" 3 years ago, have been shown oodles of exercises and stretches which some work, some hurt, some from the "Hruskas clinic" that are somewhat similar to these Somatics, but these seem a bit gentler. I think I am going to give them a steady try.

Anyone else try them and how did they work for you?

Been doing the you tube video that treesmith and zogger talked about. But only for a week, so far so good.

That's really good!!!!

Another thing I'll add......and go ahead and laugh......is yoga.

I do it 1-2 times a week. I've been doing it off an on for a couple years but do go long stretches of doing it weekly.

My lower back quit giving me issues about a month after I started. Stuff that's already been broke and has scar tissue it has helped but not taken it to zero.

I have also found that a lot of issues are caused by overtight and shortened muscles, and that laying on either a tennis ball or a bit harder lacrosse ball is helpful to tell your brain to relax those muscles and it helps break up scar tissue; just put the ball on the floor and lay on it for a few minutes under the spot that hurts, you can even gently roll on it. Also a foam roller works pretty good too, just some things to try in addition to the stretching and exercises.

I have also found that a lot of issues are caused by overtight and shortened muscles, and that laying on either a tennis ball or a bit harder lacrosse ball is helpful to tell your brain to relax those muscles and it helps break up scar tissue; just put the ball on the floor and lay on it for a few minutes under the spot that hurts, you can even gently roll on it. Also a foam roller works pretty good too, just some things to try in addition to the stretching and exercises.

I use the foam roller too for my upper back and around my shoulder blades.:baba:

Mine is just the smooth roller not the cool knobby one but still works well.

Latest posts

Back