Darker Safety Glasses Reecommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjo75

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm looking for some darker than average safety glasses. I would like 100% UV protection. Anti fog and slim style also. I don't really want big bulky glasses. My current glasses just don't seem to be dark enough anymore. My eyes are blue and pretty light sensitive. I have been noticing lately that I can't hardly do anything without sunglasses on anymore. The other day I was doing quite a bit of polesaw work and it seemed like with every cut I was staring straight into the sun. I had to stop a few times just to let my eyes rest. What safety glasses do you wear and do you like them. Thanks, Ben.

Clear ones. Just when I'm really concerned about getting junk in my eyes, like if I'm grinding a bunch, or pressure washing something really dirty (blows back at me).
I've never worn sunglasses, I can't stand everything being dark.

You might want to get your eyes checks out by a doc,
Might be something they can recommend.

Stihl and husqvarna both make good z87 rated safety glasses that are shaded. Do you wear a hat?

I wear a hat when it's cooler. Not so much when it's hot. I wear my climbing helmet most of the time. I have a straw sombrero that I sometimes wear when raking or when there's nothing left above me. That helps. I saw some roofers wearing them one time. Works pretty good. Plenty of shade. I do have some of the Stihl glasses. They're good. Just don't seem to be dark enough on bright days. I also wear clear safety glasses but only in the shop or on the motorcycle at night.

I used to look for dark/smoke, mirrored lenses, for daytime motorcycle, street riding. Seemed to give my (light blue) eyes the most relief from the sunlight.

92utownxh mentioned "nemesis sunglasses/safety glasses".
There's a pair of mirrors listed, But I have NO way to know just how dark they are.
Claims 99% UV reduction...FWIW.
http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/jac...asses-with-black-frame-and-smoke-mirror-lens/
Wonder what their return policy is, IF the lenses aren't what you need?

Has anyone run across Gold mirrored, sunglass lenses?
I used to use gold , filter lenses in my welding helmet.
The color rendition is waaayyy better than the old green filters!

Just to cover this question: I got away from (work related welding) just about when the auto-darkening hoods were coming on the market.
So never I got to play with them.

I find dark glasses make it hard to see in shodows while trimming. I like yellow my self. I have blue eyes too and there light ans glare sensitive. My prescriptions glasses are Transitions, they get pretty dark, whitch is nice for driving but not for trimming.

As a crane op I have a pair of the darkest welding glasses on the truck for the jobs where I'm staring into the sun. they look like sunglasses but are designed for oxy welding, I believe. Think they were 14 bucks

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I like the Carhartt Billings gray anti-fog. I won't spend more than $10 on a pair of safety glass as I know they'll get crushed, scratched, lost, etc... so I am sure there are better ones out there, but beyond my target price. I have been happy with these! Not too bulky. Light weight. I haven't scratched them yet. Sat on they a couple of times, and they didn't break. I had/have a Stihl pair the dealer gave me when I bought a blower, they are decent, but I like the Carhartt ones better-more comfortable and better field of vision (no frame obstructing).

Back