Darn you guys! Another winch build thread.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_dj1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
OK so after reading czar800 and ford150's threads about building winches it has got me to thinking and we know that can't be good. LOL
I am picking one of these up tomorrow for cheap that I found on CL
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/252014940590?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82
I think it will be just the ticket, short and compact all in one unit, I will chain drive it from the PTO so I can do some gear reduction. The one I am picking up is 3:73 gearing. I think if I reduce it about 4-1 with sprockets and roller chain it should be a manageable speed. I'm going to put a rotor and brake calliper on one side with the spool on the opposite end. I will build it as a 3 point mount like a name brand winch (Fransguard) etc.

Need thoughts on a few points.
1) diameter of spool? I have some 6" well casing on hand, does that diameter seem OK?
2) I have no idea what direction the PTO on my tractor spins, anyone know? It's a Massey 1540. I don't think it's going to matter, I'll just spool over or under depending on it's rotation.
3) Diameter of cable? I have a 500' spool of 1/4" aircraft grade cable, it has a strength of 4000 lbs. Big enough?
4) Will a disk brake be enough braking power? I am going to find a dual piston caliper from something. LOL

I will keep you posted as this thing progresses, it will be my winter project so don't expect it right away.
I like to gather parts during the warm months for projects I can build in the cold months when business is slow.

OK so after reading czar800 and ford150's threads about building winches it has got me to thinking and we know that can't be good. LOL
I am picking one of these up tomorrow for cheap that I found on CL
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/252014940590?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82
I think it will be just the ticket, short and compact all in one unit, I will chain drive it from the PTO so I can do some gear reduction. The one I am picking up is 3:73 gearing. I think if I reduce it about 4-1 with sprockets and roller chain it should be a manageable speed. I'm going to put a rotor and brake calliper on one side with the spool on the opposite end. I will build it as a 3 point mount like a name brand winch (Fransguard) etc.

Need thoughts on a few points.
1) diameter of spool? I have some 6" well casing on hand, does that diameter seem OK?
2) I have no idea what direction the PTO on my tractor spins, anyone know? It's a Massey 1540. I don't think it's going to matter, I'll just spool over or under depending on it's rotation.
3) Diameter of cable? I have a 500' spool of 1/4" aircraft grade cable, it has a strength of 4000 lbs. Big enough?
4) Will a disk brake be enough braking power? I am going to find a dual piston caliper from something. LOL

I will keep you posted as this thing progresses, it will be my winter project so don't expect it right away.
I like to gather parts during the warm months for projects I can build in the cold months when business is slow.
cast aluminum housing:eek:... maybe use a "jack shaft" for the drum to mount on...heavy duty pillow blocks or 4 bolt flange bearings to support the drum/jack shaft...

Remember to take some pictures.
6" would be fine remember that drum size can really change line speed. Your pto turns clockwise. Don't bother with 1/4" like others have said 3/8" will work. I believe a disk break will work (hard to really know without seeing were you are going too place it. Have fun and weld on!!

SR, where would one look for said winch off a M-37? I'm not opposed to that but I do have a question, how do you control a PTO winch? Is it always engaged once the PTO is on? Sorry if this seems simple but I have never had a PTO or anything to run off one.
Thanks,
Dave

ps. I picked up the axle part today!

SR, where would one look for said winch off a M-37? I'm not opposed to that but I do have a question, how do you control a PTO winch? Is it always engaged once the PTO is on? Sorry if this seems simple but I have never had a PTO or anything to run off one.
Thanks,
Dave

ps. I picked up the axle part today!

Control it with a clutch...

I see them on for sale line, start searching, but for $300 bucks, you can have mine...

SR

I have been researching pto winches and I found some disturbing information. Apparently if you get the line tight and can no longer pull, there is no way to release the winch. Sounds dangerous to me. How/where would the clutch go?
Thanks,
Dave

those flanges are only retained by a small snap ring in the splines, they are held in by the drive axles. i don't think it will work how you want it to.

Run the wench with a hydraulic motor this will give reverse action. Most wenches have a dog that can be released so it can spool the wire out quickly this will save much time. You can get the best speed and power by using chain drive with the right for your needs sprockets. One of them military wenches is the cats but good luck with your build.

Run the wench with a hydraulic motor this will give reverse action. Most wenches have a dog that can be released so it can spool the wire out quickly this will save much time. You can get the best speed and power by using chain drive with the right for your needs sprockets. One of them military wenches is the cats but good luck with your build.
these pics should probably clear some things up for you...:pingpong:
WENCH

WINCH

Here is a pic of my homemade 3pt PTO winch. It is slow, no reverse, only free spool out but this thing can pull some wood. It's best to have a helper when the pull is subject to any snags because you need a person on the tractor to stop winching.image.jpg

The pic above me looks like mine. I have a homemade setup using a pto winch off a duce and half. Yes when the cable gets tight, you can't get it out of gear. My MF135 1967 model, has a ground speed position on the pto that lets it turn in the direction of the rear wheels so if the pull gets out of hand, I could put it in reverse and spin the wheel in reverse putting slack in the cable. In have used this to pull up to a truck with a couple of cords of pulpwood that was big time mud stuck. In a pull like that I have had to get on the other side of a tree and pull around the side of it, if you tied the front to a tree I believe you could pull a tractor into. Po folks have po ways, I have been lucky and GOD looks after us too. I gave 250 for this winch about 40yrs ago, it still had the new grease on the cable, never use it now but you never know what a day will bring.

The pic above me looks like mine. I have a homemade setup using a pto winch off a duce and half. Yes when the cable gets tight, you can't get it out of gear. My MF135 1967 model, has a ground speed position on the pto that lets it turn in the direction of the rear wheels so if the pull gets out of hand, I could put it in reverse and spin the wheel in reverse putting slack in the cable. In have used this to pull up to a truck with a couple of cords of pulpwood that was big time mud stuck. In a pull like that I have had to get on the other side of a tree and pull around the side of it, if you tied the front to a tree I believe you could pull a tractor into. Po folks have po ways, I have been lucky and GOD looks after us too. I gave 250 for this winch about 40yrs ago, it still had the new grease on the cable, never use it now but you never know what a day will bring.

All you guys need to do is add a hydraulic motor with a roller chain and two sprockets to get your speed where you need it,this will give reverse at little cost.

I first built mine with hydraulic drive years back, just so I could reverse it. Problem was, not enough snot. Switched it to pto drive, and while it's no speed demon, I'm on nobodys time clock. You have to make sure you always pull from someplace you can back up a little from, if you have to let the tension off. In all the years & wood I've pulled with it, only once I got caught - The solution is uncouple the pto, rotate the shaft the other way by hand, and the winch will slowly unwind. There is a freewheel lever, but you'd probably wreck something trying to pound the lever over with tension on it - Just not made for that .c oak 10.jpgMine pulled the oak logs on my truck up a bank so steep you kind of had to claw your way up it.

"There is a freewheel lever, but you'd probably wreck something trying to pound the lever over with tension on it - Just not made for that" BEEN THERE DONE THAT Had to get the lever welded after I broke it clean off, made from what we called pot metal, cast aluminum I guess.

Latest posts

Back