Dead Ash Emerald borer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chugbug

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm in northeast PA and I'm starting to see a lot of white ash standing with most of the bark gone , leaving a brown inner bark exposed with holes from the emerald borer . Not sure how wide spread this is , anyone else seeing this .

I don't even want to think about it. I planted about 1000 green ash around 25 years ago and I'm about to see it all turn into fire wood. So far it is doing OK but the county has been removing infested trees along the road just a couple of miles away from my wood lot. Next year or maybe the year after I expect to see lots of dead standing ash.

I don't even want to think about it. I planted about 1000 green ash around 25 years ago and I'm about to see it all turn into fire wood. So far it is doing OK but the county has been removing infested trees along the road just a couple of miles away from my wood lot. Next year or maybe the year after I expect to see lots of dead standing ash.
I've heard they have sprayed some around here with a insecticide. In parks, I guess . But they are cutting most down that are on city property, dead or alive. And planting something different.

I have a few in my yard that I will treat but the ash in my woodlot will soon be firewood I'm afraid. If some f***ing foreign bug starts attacking my maple trees I will be seriously pist though!

I have a few in my yard that I will treat but the ash in my woodlot will soon be firewood I'm afraid. If some f***ing foreign bug starts attacking my maple trees I will be seriously pist though!

I have a sad feeling that maple will be next.

In my part of Michigan we have no live ash trees left. Every ash tree that was a yard tree has been or is being replaced with a maple variety.

I'm worried that it's just a matter of time some bug will attack them.

First elm, then ash....

Here is southwest Ohio they have wiped most of the ash out.

MVC-002S_32.JPG

MVC-003S_21.JPG

By the time you start seeing damage it is normally too late for that tree. I'm trying to save one yard tree which is a 12 inches in diameter. Costs around $25.00 /year to treat it myself and it would be more for a larger one. So far so good. It took less than 5 yrs from start to finish in our area so look out. There is a alot of dead summer skylines in woods around here now. hate to imagine the amount of cords that will just rot up and go to waste.

Yup we have em in the U.P. as well. Although we do not have a large concentration of ash, we do however have a problem with the beech bark disease and the spruce blood worm.
In my neck of the woods the majority is maple with some beech tossed in here or there.

Sounds pretty wide spread , Michigan to Pa , not sure about the New England states . Sorry to hear about your 1000 ash plantings oldman thats hard to take , its alot of work planting and taking care of trees . We are also loosing all of are Hemlock to some kind of blight but its not getting the white pine , first the needles go then the fungus takes over , its hard to get it for firewood before you know its punky unless you cut healthy looking trees way before they get it and I won't and can't cut live standing trees on other properties. I haven't been seeing the worm pathways in the ash , what I'm seeing is the tree looses all the normal grey outer bark and all thats left is the light brown inner bark showing , they really stand out you can't miss them .

Sounds pretty wide spread , Michigan to Pa , not sure about the New England states . Sorry to hear about your 1000 ash plantings oldman thats hard to take , its alot of work planting and taking care of trees . We are also loosing all of are Hemlock to some kind of blight but its not getting the white pine , first the needles go then the fungus takes over , its hard to get it for firewood before you know its punky unless you cut healthy looking trees way before they get it and I won't and can't cut live standing trees on other properties. I haven't been seeing the worm pathways in the ash , what I'm seeing is the tree looses all the normal grey outer bark and all thats left is the light brown inner bark showing , they really stand out you can't miss them .

We didn't notice too much bark change. Trees just started loosing leaves in the spring and summer. They basically choke the tree by cutting all the pathways for the water to get to the leaves. A true, " biting the hand that feeds you".

...A familiar scene here in Michigan the last 10 years. Dead ash is excellent firewood, ready to burn.
Just west of banjobart and most of them in the area are dead or on there way out.
We cut a few that are still living but dying this summer.
the one good thing is it makes great firewood:). the bad is there is no way it will all get harvested before its to punky to use:(.

Next year they say Nebraska is on the list. Already encountered in Iowa, it is just a matter of time. No chemical treatment has been found to be totally effective. The insect has limited range but amazing durability. One has to wonder what other species it will attack when all the ash trees are gone. Apparently, it is leaving the oaks alone.

Kevin's pics are some of the best I have seen. Once attacked, the tree becomes helpless. It's even worse than the New England gypsy moth.

Kevin's pics are some of the best I have seen. Once attacked, the tree becomes helpless. It's even worse than the New England gypsy moth.

I wish I didn't have such good pics of it, just wish the liked honeysuckle better!

MVC-005S_12.JPG

MVC-001S_40.JPG

MVC-004S_17.JPG

You can walk up to an effected tree and almost debark the trunk by hand. I dropped a few that when they hit most all the bark popped off the trunk. They don't seem to go for limbs as I guess the flow of fluid isn't as much there.

I am using all the dead on my place and pulled 50 cord so far. Probably another 20-30 yet. Just ran out of indoor storage and letting it store upright for the moment.

MVC-003S_2.JPG

This is the hillside woods at my place. You can see it was mainly ash and not much left. Going to plant trees this spring as I smoothed it down but what? My fear is like what happened to oldman47, I'll plant them and a few years later another invader will take them all out. Leaning towards walnut.

Latest posts

Back