Dead Ash Emerald borer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The chestnut blight happened in the early 1900's. It's still with us unfortunately. The used to be one of the most numerous trees in the northeast/midatlantic forests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about the Hemlock , anyone loosing them too , I'll be walking in the woods and there is a beautiful Hemlock all the needles gone ,standing dead .

How about the Hemlock , anyone loosing them too , I'll be walking in the woods and there is a beautiful Hemlock all the needles gone ,standing dead .

Yep - Got about 350 acres, some heavy with hemlock. Most of it has the blight in varying stages. I did find a logger to cut some of it but he does not want all of it. Not enough money in it. My property is pretty deep with some long skids and it just chews up what small profit there is in it.

Many of us landowners are losing thousands of dollars in timber, through absolutely no fault of our own. What I want to know is who in the **** can we collect compensation for it from??!!! Not a fan of lawyers but somebody should be accountable!!

ash has been gone for years here. the department of foresty says once the ash borer finally dies out they will began replanting and treating ash trees. i got a ash sapling growing in the wood lot i plan to leave it alone.

I have been burning nothing but dead ash and elm for about 10 years now. It will stand a good long time after they are dead at least here any way if they are good sized. I now have a thick amounts of Ash growing that is about waist high right now in my woods.

I think if the American wood lot owners who want to go with a class action law suit, you could name all the companies who import stuff from China and maybe even the US government for allowing the heavy import of crap too. Just on the news yesterday was a report of a tiny 1/8 inch snail that was dumped in the great lakes. They claim worse than the Zebra mussels.

Truth be known we Americans are right with the government and rich corporate American and screwing our selves. I know Black Friday is over but we can rush right out to a small business and by more _hit from China to day and support China and small business.

:D Al

I wish I didn't have such good pics of it, just wish the liked honeysuckle better!

MVC-005S_12.JPG

MVC-001S_40.JPG

MVC-004S_17.JPG

You can walk up to an effected tree and almost debark the trunk by hand. I dropped a few that when they hit most all the bark popped off the trunk. They don't seem to go for limbs as I guess the flow of fluid isn't as much there.

I am using all the dead on my place and pulled 50 cord so far. Probably another 20-30 yet. Just ran out of indoor storage and letting it store upright for the moment.

MVC-003S_2.JPG

This is the hillside woods at my place. You can see it was mainly ash and not much left. Going to plant trees this spring as I smoothed it down but what? My fear is like what happened to oldman47, I'll plant them and a few years later another invader will take them all out. Leaning towards walnut.
You may want to consider a thornless honey locust. They grow fast, are disease free, and the wood is surprisingly dense considering the growth rate. The shade density is much less than ash, so other plants and grass can grow underneath them. Many were planted around here to replace elms.

You may want to consider a thornless honey locust. They grow fast, are disease free, and the wood is surprisingly dense considering the growth rate. The shade density is much less than ash, so other plants and grass can grow underneath them. Many were planted around here to replace elms.

Interestingly enough it WAS a locust grove before the ash came up. My great Grandparents planted them for fence posts. Still a few of them around but they died off as well. They were not the thornless variety and my hands and feet as a kid will tell!

Sounds pretty wide spread , Michigan to Pa , not sure about the New England states . Sorry to hear about your 1000 ash plantings oldman thats hard to take , its alot of work planting and taking care of trees . We are also loosing all of are Hemlock to some kind of blight but its not getting the white pine , first the needles go then the fungus takes over , its hard to get it for firewood before you know its punky unless you cut healthy looking trees way before they get it and I won't and can't cut live standing trees on other properties. I haven't been seeing the worm pathways in the ash , what I'm seeing is the tree looses all the normal grey outer bark and all thats left is the light brown inner bark showing , they really stand out you can't miss them .
I've seen a very similar scenario with red pine here that you describe with the hemlock. Needles drop , tree dies but white pine standing right next to them are completely fine. Haven't noticed in hemlock here yet. I'm in north east PA. Also haven't personally seen the ash borer yet.

Walked the timber stand located in the NE corner of Ohio the summer of 2014 and counted 12 ash trees that ranged from 22" dbh to 30". All were fine. Walked the same stand this fall and all dead. I'll take them down next summer and plan to replant with burr oak. Have a 5 gallon bucket of the acorns I saved from a tree in the backyard.

Just north of Pittsburgh- 129 total dead ash trees between 2006 and now. All were removed for firewood up until this past June(although some was definitely mill worthy) That was 75% of the timber my parents had on their 5 acre lot that their house is on. Made the lot bare to say the least. I have been telling firewood customers (at least the ones who request/pay extra for just white ash) that this winter will probably be the last winter for it. What is left now is rotten, punky, has shake.

woodlot 1.jpg
The pile of what was left of cutting the last of the ash trees is in the back field on the right half of the picture. That bare oval field had 60-70 ash trees.
woodlot 3.jpg
With the exception of 1 pine on the left, everything in the picture is gone. Same field in the background as the picture above.
woodlot 2.jpg
Every tree in this picture is gone as well......

That's pretty much all I've been burning the last few years. Every ash around here is dead. I did find one live one, and that is at my deer camp. It is the only ash around and I see no bug holes in it. It might make it.

All the ash trees in Indiana are pretty much gone. I have lost 11 on property, and I have less than an acre. My brothers friend is going to have me clear his property in spring. He has 30 -40 dead ones. Sucks, Ash is my favorite.

I think it is pretty well all over Ohio...
When I drove up to Niagara from Illinois I saw dead ash everywhere along the interstates. Any place I saw ash a good part of them were dead including Illinois, Indiana, northern Ohio, upstate New York, NW PA and up into Ontario.

This is the hillside woods at my place. You can see it was mainly ash and not much left. Going to plant trees this spring as I smoothed it down but what? My fear is like what happened to oldman47, I'll plant them and a few years later another invader will take them all out. Leaning towards walnut.
If you plant, use a diverse mix. I am about to lose around 1000 trees but I planted over 5000 all together. Some of the others are white and red oak, hickory, American hazel and black walnut. No monoculture for me for exactly that reason. Now I need to figure a new species for where I will need to plant to replace the ash. It was pretty much scattered around but I am sure there will be a few places that need a replant. My hazel is an edge planting because they never get very big.

My vulnerable ash are in this stand and it did need thinning but not by removing a single species.

Back