Dead Ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uuuhhhhh......http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/...ash-borer/faq/eng/1337355937903/1337356019017

I still see some partially leafed out ash trees here, about an hour from you, but it ain't trees coming back. They remind me of Connor MacGregor's face right before he tapped Nate Diaz's forearm in their first fight.

I truly hope ten years from now you can tell me I was wrong but the only thing I worry about the borer now is which species of tree they will have to adapt to killing next.

We (I) transplanted a large number of Ash trees where I work about 3 years before the EAB was in its hayday. They were all between 2-4" dbh. Every single one of them eventually died all showing signs of the borer. And now every single one looks essentially like an ash bush. Ill snap some pics today if I can get up on the berm.

If you want to see what the EAB has wrought, take a drive along the Pennsy Turnpike. Miles and miles of dead and dying ash trees. :(

Not much good for lumber once the EAB has gotten to it. But for firewood, it's fine. Standing dead is always good and ash tends to season within a year split anyhow.

+1 on the suggestion of pin oak for shade trees. They're tough and can withstand rough weather. I personally don't recommend maples due to the root system. Maples tend to extend roots at topsoil level making for a rough lawn.
Are there any hauling restrictions there for dead EAB Ash trees? We have strict laws regarding the movement of dead Ash by EAB. I think you can only move it a few kms from where it was downed.

We also have restrictions on all fire wood movement here in Michigan< I think to make it easy on LEO's who can't tell ash from popple.
Also the Ash will make good lumber for a long time standing dead.

:D Al

There are county and some city wide quarantines here where it is present.

For instance anyone can bring firewood into the Minneapolis metro but no firewood of any species can leave the metro. You also cannot transport firewood through the quarantine area even if it's from a non quarantine area.

Here in Indiana, it's estimated that 30% of the trees are Ash, and out of those over 90% are expected to be killed in the next couple of years. That's about 25% of our trees gone in a 10 year period. I don't know if it's possible, but it's scary if these things can adapt to using a differnt species of tree.

but it's scary if these things can adapt to using a differnt species of tree.
Like DED, its expected the bugs will slowly die off once ash are depleted.

Near my hunting cabin has a young popluation of elm that are all that is left from the once huge stand of elms that were there pre-ded. Ash will repopulate but never to widespread extent that they were/are

I'm north of other ash populations except for black ash which grows in swamps. If I had access to standing dead white ash I would put up a lifetime worth.

Uuuhhhhh......http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/...ash-borer/faq/eng/1337355937903/1337356019017

I still see some partially leafed out ash trees here, about an hour from you, but it ain't trees coming back. They remind me of Connor MacGregor's face right before he tapped Nate Diaz's forearm in their first fight.

I truly hope ten years from now you can tell me I was wrong but the only thing I worry about the borer now is which species of tree they will have to adapt to killing next.

Here ya go....

63bdfcd6459ded9170f04da7fc22da45.jpg

29c37c892cd0c03cd03ab12c38b35077.jpg

f676f35a09d1abb404ad18e8e7672ed7.jpg

sent from a field

Are there any hauling restrictions there for dead EAB Ash trees? We have strict laws regarding the movement of dead Ash by EAB. I think you can only move it a few kms from where it was downed.
Not as far as I know. I was picking ash slabs last winter at the sawmill, most of their logs come from across state lines.

That could change. The EAB has finally made its way to Delaware. It was discovered recently in the northern part of the state. DE doesn't have a lot of ash; mainly yard and some boulevard trees. But the discovery could affect logging and firewood haulers if restrictions come along. And you know they eventually will.

I recall less than five years ago we ran a survey among members to see what tree species produced the best firewood, overall. Ash won. Five major reasons: produces good heat content, splits rather easily when green, dries fast, lights easily, and rots slowly.

What more could you ask for?
Black Locust:baba:.

Black Locust:baba:.
That would be my choice also, preferably the thornless variety. Locust trees with thorns can puncture holes in tractor tires. It's rather mean stuff. But, there is also a podless variety available. I've cut a bunch of locust for firewood this year. It splits easily when green and once split, it dries rather quickly. I cannot recall a customer ever complaining whenever I brought locust for firewood.

That would be my choice also, preferably the thornless variety. Locust trees with thorns can puncture holes in tractor tires. It's rather mean stuff. But, there is also a podless variety available. I've cut a bunch of locust for firewood this year. It splits easily when green and once split, it dries rather quickly. I cannot recall a customer ever complaining whenever I brought locust for firewood.
It also last for a long time.

To the OP:
I would not leave ash dead standing long as it will get punky in all the wrong spots. If I did I would only do it in areas where having them fall would not be an issue.

Just me ranting on:
My favorite fire wood is black locust, which has the smaller rose type of thorns not like the honey locust which has the long ones. Some trees have them and other don't, but as they get older the bark will cover the thorns on the black locust. These are the only varieties I am familiar with.
You can find a black locust on the floor of the woods and do a plunge cut into it and have sparks flying it's so hard. That's on a log that has been lying there for 20 yrs, don't expect that from ash lol.
I don't sell any black locust as that goes in my personal stash pile and gets used for the coldest days. Today I gave the neighbor 2 bucket loads of ash uglies and shorts and some that was a bit punky.
This is for those who might say I am just not familiar with ash lol.
Here's a load I got yesterday, all split up and on the for sale pile except the second largest log which is cut to rounds and will get split tomorrow :).20160913_133043.jpg20160913_133104.jpg20160914_082250.jpg

I love me some..... ash.

400bf7a0fc008fc77334140bac4675a2.jpg

In in a flurry to get as much cut and split as I can. Been looking at it for years but cant physically get to it because it all lays in a low area that never dries out. We had a very dry summer so I'm finally able to get in.... but it didn't last long. With the recent rains I may have to wait till winter. Even then though, it never really freezes.

Really sad part is all the hickory is rotten, and there is a lot of it. Ancillary prize is most of the oak is still solid.

I love me some..... ash.

400bf7a0fc008fc77334140bac4675a2.jpg

In in a flurry to get as much cut and split as I can. Been looking at it for years but cant physically get to it because it all lays in a low area that never dries out. We had a very dry summer so I'm finally able to get in.... but it didn't last long. With the recent rains I may have to wait till winter. Even then though, it never really freezes.

Really sad part is all the hickory is rotten, and there is a lot of it. Ancillary prize is most of the oak is still solid.
Nice pice there CF.
Is that at your work. A few of those will load up that dump trailer nice and quick.
I know a guy not to far from you who has a skidding winch on his little kubota ;).downloadfile-4.jpeg

It also last for a long time.

To the OP:
I would not leave ash dead standing long as it will get punky in all the wrong spots. If I did I would only do it in areas where having them fall would not be an issue.

Just me ranting on:
My favorite fire wood is black locust, which has the smaller rose type of thorns not like the honey locust which has the long ones. Some trees have them and other don't, but as they get older the bark will cover the thorns on the black locust. These are the only varieties I am familiar with.
You can find a black locust on the floor of the woods and do a plunge cut into it and have sparks flying it's so hard. That's on a log that has been lying there for 20 yrs, don't expect that from ash lol.
I don't sell any black locust as that goes in my personal stash pile and gets used for the coldest days. Today I gave the neighbor 2 bucket loads of ash uglies and shorts and some that was a bit punky.
This is for those who might say I am just not familiar with ash lol.
Here's a load I got yesterday, all split up and on the for sale pile except the second largest log which is cut to rounds and will get split tomorrow :).View attachment 525566View attachment 525568View attachment 525570
How is the firewood market by you with a glut of dead ash trees?

Latest posts

Back