Dealer says Husqvarna 550xp and 545 are junk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dieseldash

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm all shook up and need some help. I went to my local dealer this week with intent ( boss lady was on board) to buy a 550xp or 545 with auto tune. I want a nice pro grade 50cc class light weight saw. Didn't see any on the shelf so asked if they could order one in. They said they'd had nothing but problems with the husky auto tunes and told me all kinds of horror stories. I've read a bunch of good reviews online so I was a bit surprised. This is the closest dealer to me and they sell mostly Stihls but carry Husky, and Echo. I generally like dealing with them. He showed me the ms261 c-m and said they'd had much better luck with that saw, it felt OK but I know nothing about it. I'm mostly a Husky/ Jonsered fan and don't know what route to take. I like the idea of the auto tune or M-Tronic because I cut at a bunch of different altitudes and it could simplify life theoretically. But if the electronic widgetry is more of a hassle and needs the dealer to fix all the time then I don't want the hassle. I really wish they still made the 346xp new. I've been looking at finding a used one but a nice 346xp ne is usually pushing $400 plus which is awfully close to a new 545.

I'm out in Colorado live on the front range but usually cut on a few properties from 9-10k feet but it would be nice to have one saw I didn't need to tune when using it down at 5000' or when I'm at out in MN. I've got a couple 70cc class saws and a Jonsered 2245 that I've been quite impressed with for a little 45cc limbing saw. When we are up cutting I generally take 4 saws with because time is critical and I can't be messing around going down into town to get parts or repairs, 2 hours plus each way.

Sorry for the long rambling post. Just looking for some advice input on what would be best so out of these what would you pick ?

New Husqvarna 550xp, 545 auto tune
Stihl 261 c-m
Nice used 346xp
Husqvarna 450 or 445 non "pro" (I have a Jred 2245 that I'm happy with)
Any other ideas?

He's wrong, those are both great saws. There has been some relatively minor issues with autotune...namely hot re-start issues. But otherwise they are good machines and the autotune would be great for cutting at different altitudes. A 346 would be my choice of all those though...

I have a 545.and there full of BS.now mine is a 2016 model.i beleive the earlier models when they first came out some had hot issues.but not on the newer versions. Ohh and the m tronic carb has had issues.thats per the Chainsaw Guy.i had a chat with him before i got my 545.i have ran this in 90 degree hot humid weather also with no problem . starts right up one pull hot. Powerful little 50cc saw.i actually took back a ms311 to buy the 545 couldnt be happier.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have a 545.and there full of BS.now mine is a 2016 model.i beleive the earlier models when they first came out some had hot issues.but not on the newer versions. Ohh and the m tronic carb has had issues.thats per the Chainsaw Guy.i had a chat with him before i got my 545.i have ran this in 90 degree hot humid weather also with no problem . starts right up one pull hot. Powerful little 50cc saw.i actually took back a ms311 to buy the 545 couldnt be happier.

20160831_183034.jpg

I had coworker tell me a similar story about his Husky dealer. They pretty much said that Autotune was junk and they've had nothing but problems with AT saws. I think the problem with Autotune saws, specifically the 550, is that people are more likely to repeat the bad reviews rather than the good. So there might be 20 good reviews and 1 bad but that bad review seems to have more weight than the 20 good and gets repeated and pretty soon the poor little 550 has a bad reputation that is completely undeserved.

I bought my 550 from mesupra several years ago and couldn't be happier. I had a few hot restart issues early on but once I figured out the right starting "sequence" I haven't had a single issue since.

I have a 550 and a 2252/Jonsered's version of the 545 and I have not had any problems with either of them. Maybe your dealer has a 261cm in stock and would rather sell it. I have run a 261cm and I believe I would enjoy using one. You might ask him what kind of problems he has had with the autotune models.

One thing I like about this site is that now a guy can mostly live without a local dealer. If I were in your shoes, I'd have no problem buying a 545 or 550 from one of the sponsors here. They can often beat local prices too.

One thing with the autotune saws, along similar lines: if you're local dealer is reluctant to sell them and has had bad luck with them, they may be a poor choice to take them in for troubleshooting. I gather they're a little different that a regular carbed machine, and having someone who understands the new technology is probably helpful.

I have a 550 and a 2252/Jonsered's version of the 545 and I have not had any problems with either of them. Maybe your dealer has a 261cm in stock and would rather sell it. I have run a 261cm and I believe I would enjoy using one. You might ask him what kind of problems he has had with the autotune models.

He did have 2 sitting on the shelf...........

The ms261 does look like a nice saw.

One thing I like about this site is that now a guy can mostly live without a local dealer. If I were in your shoes, I'd have no problem buying a 545 or 550 from one of the sponsors here. They can often beat local prices too.

One thing with the autotune saws, along similar lines: if you're local dealer is reluctant to sell them and has had bad luck with them, they may be a poor choice to take them in for troubleshooting. I gather they're a little different that a regular carbed machine, and having someone who understands the new technology is probably helpful.

I'm gonna search out some other Husky dealers in the area. If I was buying a 372xp I'd buy it without hesitation from one of the sponsors, I'm fairly competent keeping saws working. With the auto tune I'd want a shop in the area who could flash the computer. I guess worst case I could mail it out for service but thanks a hassle too.

My Belleville ,Ontario Stihl--Husqvarna dealer was the same even Before auto tune saws. After going elsewhere for 576xpg I stopped , told him I wanted 50cc heated handle price for both and he refused to even quote 346xpg[emoji35] . Azzhole for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back