Dealer says Husqvarna 550xp and 545 are junk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't followed up on it. If I am in there anytime soon, I'll make it a point to ask. This is the same dealer who stood on his head for me when I had 562 problems. My best guess, without talking to him directly, is that he got the customer a new replacement.

IDK if my 562 works well in 90deg. weather or not. I don't!! I fade out like a dried up worm. It does perform very well in the cold including temps in the single digits.
I'M with you on the high temps,not to mention higher fire risks.
On another note some of our Pro fellers aren't overly happy with the Stihl 661 in the cold temps,seems to take a while to run right from a cold start.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

if the dealer dont like those Huskies he dont need to sell them, Stihl has more then enough models to cover whatever a customer need, his claim is just ridicilous.
I got one Husky dealer where I purchase projects from, their sale rate is kinda 50+ 550's a year, if 20% of their sale got toasted I would be a lucky Norwegian, 2 project a year is what I get from them, so there you got the rate in Norway.
AT/mtronic or non AT/mtronic, there is +/- with them, some like them some hate them, for one customer who isnt great to tune a saw electronic carb is a good thing.
That is nice of you to give us insight. So in your experience you have about max. 4% defekt rate. Sorry but even though I am not a dealer, I can imagine it being quite a hastle all wa ys needeing to deal with Husqvarna to get approval of cost replacement. I mean we are no talking about a ring from a chewing gum machine, these saws cost real money and needing to make those customers happy again will cost min a chain or two depending on how dominant in the area he is. All that time, that is also money, spent on organinzing, repairing, etc incl. a customer feel well again gift IS costing you money that will NOT be covered by the company guarentee!

My closest dealer said about the same as OP's. He won't handle the auto tunes any longer and seems to be completely phasing out the Husky saws in favor of Echo.

I feel bad for the customers who have problems with these saws. If you watch the videos, they look impressive. If you ask an owner with a good one, they'd own nothing else. Conversely, if you dig for the negative reviews online, you'd think every single one was a problematic lemon. It seems like if you ask about one on a forum, the opinions you'll get will be highly dependent on who is online that day. Hopefully they'll get them figured out for the guys who own one.

My dealer here says he's had no trouble with either. I was in today to talk about the 545 I got for my Uncle last year . It has this bog if it idles for longer than 30 seconds. Will take it in in a couple weeks for a fix.

My closest dealer said about the same as OP's. He won't handle the auto tunes any longer and seems to be completely phasing out the Husky saws in favor of Echo.

My dealer sells both Husqvarna and Echo but when I asked him about Echo saws he said I wouldn't be happy with one knowing I have 288xp, 576xpg auto tune and 353 now. Have 550 XPG coming in next shipment so I'll be the next tester[emoji23]

Gotta say Thanks for all the good input fellas. Curently due to the lack of a dealer that's competent with the Auto-tune Huskies close by it's looking like 346XP for me. I've got a lead on a good 346XP NE locally. It seems Colorado is Stihl country and I'm just a little worried having a saw that couldn't be serviced easily. Next year I'm budgeting for a new 372xp and I have zero reservations buying it locally or from a site sponsor. I still really like the idea of having one saw that is M-tronic or auto tune to simplify the altitude variations I face. If I can't find a dealer better versed in the auto tunes I might have to grab a ms261 c-m at some point. I've wanted a 346 for 10 plus years and every good chainsaw enthusiast needs one in the collection. I'll keep you posted how it all shakes out.

That is nice of you to give us insight. So in your experience you have about max. 4% defekt rate. Sorry but even though I am not a dealer, I can imagine it being quite a hastle all wa ys needeing to deal with Husqvarna to get approval of cost replacement. I mean we are no talking about a ring from a chewing gum machine, these saws cost real money and needing to make those customers happy again will cost min a chain or two depending on how dominant in the area he is. All that time, that is also money, spent on organinzing, repairing, etc incl. a customer feel well again gift IS costing you money that will NOT be covered by the company guarentee!

I've visit 3 dealers regulary the last 1 1/2 year, two of them has been in business for at least 30 years.
Those dealers sending their mechanicers for course so they are updated, that is a key when it comes to AT saws.
There has been issues with both old carb versions, it's to early to say how the new AT-12 work out, those issues is waranty covered by Husky.
2/3 of those dealers has parts avaible, customers doesnt suffer much when you deal with serious dealers.

I feel bad for the customers who have problems with these saws. If you watch the videos, they look impressive. If you ask an owner with a good one, they'd own nothing else. Conversely, if you dig for the negative reviews online, you'd think every single one was a problematic lemon. It seems like if you ask about one on a forum, the opinions you'll get will be highly dependent on who is online that day. Hopefully they'll get them figured out for the guys who own one.

Great post!!

I've visit 3 dealers regulary the last 1 1/2 year, two of them has been in business for at least 30 years.
Those dealers sending their mechanicers for course so they are updated, that is a key when it comes to AT saws.
There has been issues with both old carb versions, it's to early to say how the new AT-12 work out, those issues is waranty covered by Husky.
2/3 of those dealers has parts avaible, customers doesnt suffer much when you deal with serious dealers.

Most outdoor power equipment places that I'm familiar with are just mom and pop outfits operating with as few as 2-3 employees. Do you honestly think these places can afford to send off employees for paid training? I don't. Most of them are probably too tight to spring for the diagnosis equipment, whatever that costs.

Where are these super serious dealers located? I'll be specific; the Triangle or really anywhere in Eastern NC. I've been in a lot of places in my travels and even called quite a few more when I was thinking of picking up a 562 and I don't know of any Husqvarna dealer that can really work on AT's. Maybe I'm missing something, but as far as I can see, what you're talking about is the equivalent to a unicorn.

Now I'm sure the Husky reps on here will think I'm picking on Husqvarna with that post, but I'm not. Just the facts from where I'm standing. I love my 372xp, but if I wanted a computer saw, it would have to be a Stihl because I know I could at least get it worked on.

What I always find mysterious is the assumption that AT/MT "computers" can be worked on?!? As far as I understood what a dealer can do is plug in and read out running hours and software version and what he can further do is an update to the software. That is it. Correct me if I am wrong, but all else basic diagnostic stays the same.

What I always find mysterious is the assumption that AT/MT "computers" can be worked on?!? As far as I understood what a dealer can do is plug in and read out running hours and software version and what he can further do is an update to the software. That is it. Correct me if I am wrong, but all else basic diagnostic stays the same.

From what I know that is correct. The AT and Mtronic system are not the cause of most, if any of the issues people have had. Air leaks, bad carbs, vapor lock do to bad overall design, seems to be the root cause, the AT systems are not the problem.

From what I know that is correct. The AT and Mtronic system are not the cause of most of any of the issues people have had. Air leaks, bad carbs, vapor lock do to bad overall design, seems to be the root cause, the AT systems are not the problem.
Hi:hi: @Andyshine77
I think you are correct. I was able to teach myself on an afternoon the husqvarna AT software. It is not rocket science it is just a tool that may help diagnosis of a problem easier. Maybe

'What many fear the most is what they know least about', I think this statement applies to MT/AT systems in general. If Husky is going to use these technologies which is fine, they need to support the dealer network which they have not done well. You don't hear ad many threads like this about MTronic, not because the system is better but because the Stihl dealer network are better prepared & informed.

'What many fear the most is what they know least about', I think this statement applies to MT/AT systems in general. If Husky is going to use these technologies which is fine, they need to support the dealer network which they have not done well. You don't hear ad many threads like this about MTronic, not because the system is better but because the Stihl dealer network are better prepared & informed.
Mostly agree. Stihl simply hasn't had the need to redesign some of basic components every few months like Husqvarna has. Like it or not the implementation of the 5 series saws, seems to have been at times a disaster on nearly every front. I honestly feel for the dealers.

Good point.

I for one generally like the latest technology. A good example is I own a few Ski-Doo snowmobiles that are fuel injected 2 strokes. They've been pretty darn reliable and fairly easy for owners to maintain. However I have a fantastic dealer to help me out with the high tech aspects of the sleds. Im lacking the dealer support for the Auto tune Huskies that my Ski-Doo shop provides. I'm still on the look out and went by another shop today. They had 2 545's in stock but they were covered in dust and look like they've been on the shelf for 3 years. They don't do any maintenance in house they send it out for warranty work.

Most outdoor power equipment places that I'm familiar with are just mom and pop outfits operating with as few as 2-3 employees. Do you honestly think these places can afford to send off employees for paid training? I don't. Most of them are probably too tight to spring for the diagnosis equipment, whatever that costs.

Where are these super serious dealers located? I'll be specific; the Triangle or really anywhere in Eastern NC. I've been in a lot of places in my travels and even called quite a few more when I was thinking of picking up a 562 and I don't know of any Husqvarna dealer that can really work on AT's. Maybe I'm missing something, but as far as I can see, what you're talking about is the equivalent to a unicorn.
i can only speak about Southern Norway where I live, but I know all those 3 dealers send their mechanicers for courses. The three closest JRed dealers do the same.
Some of those dealers are big and sell farmer equipment so they can afford it, while some of those dealers are small, but as long as their bigger neightbours has done the course they had to do it also so they could keep their customers.

Maybe it's a huge difference between US and Norway, I know that I would not be afraid to purchase one AT saw here.

Latest posts

Back