Dealer says Husqvarna 550xp and 545 are junk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you ever come to a Mich. GTG, I think it would be great fun to have a 50cc shootout, especially if a certain MMWS ported 346 is there along with your 550!! Last year I tached the 346@15,500RPM & still very clearly 4-stroking!!

Oh yeah, I would also bring my 562. It doesn't need porting! It sings a pretty song with just a MM.

Attachments

• P1000419.JPG
    P1000419.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 78
  • P1000418.JPG
    P1000418.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 81
  • P1000260.JPG
    P1000260.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 81
If you ever come to a Mich. GTG, I think it would be great fun to have a 50cc shootout, especially if a certain MMWS ported 346 is there along with your 550!! Last year I tached the 346@15,500RPM & still very clearly 4-stroking!!

Oh yeah, I would also bring my 562. It doesn't need porting! It sings a pretty song with just a MM.
A well modded 346 will normally take a 550 due to limitations in the 550's porting so I would give the edge to the 346. Stock the 550 has just a bit more nuts though.

Although I'd be curious to see how two built the same way from the same builder stack up.

There was some smack talk on here lately about some other 60 cc saw beating a 562 head to head by a significant margin. Well at the saw races in the stock class a 2260 and 562 finished 1-2 after dispatching every other brand :D

A well modded 346 will normally take a 550 due to limitations in the 550's porting so I would give the edge to the 346. Stock the 550 has just a bit more nuts though.

Although I'd be curious to see how two built the same way from the same builder stack up.

There was some smack talk on here lately about some other 60 cc saw beating a 562 head to head by a significant margin. Well at the saw races in the stock class a 2260 and 562 finished 1-2 after dispatching every other brand :D

I was just talking about having some fun with 3 50cc saws modded by 3 different builders. If you take it too seriously, you eliminate the fun part.

If you took 3 346s, 3 550s, & 3 261s all modded by the same builder, 1 of each would probably beat the other 2. Individual differences in the saws would dictate that. If I made a cut with my 261, then handed it to someone who has a better feel for how to use it, their time will beat mine, probably by a lot. LOL.:cheers:

I was just talking about having some fun with 3 50cc saws modded by 3 different builders. If you take it too seriously, you eliminate the fun part.

If you took 3 346s, 3 550s, & 3 261s all modded by the same builder, 1 of each would probably beat the other 2. Individual differences in the saws would dictate that. If I made a cut with my 261, then handed it to someone who has a better feel for how to use it, their time will beat mine, probably by a lot. LOL.:cheers:
I'd be up for that all in fun.

People get a little too worked up over performance. I do enjoy harassing the fan boys though lol.

I ran the 261 and 550 side by side over about 6 hours set up exactly the same with 18" bars and Oregon chisel chain. I have been a Stihl guy for 30 years but the 550 and, later the 372 have places in my shop. I like the 550 better than the 261. Smoother with maybe a bit of an edge in power to the Husky. But the 261 is a very nice 50cc saw. The 261 feels more natural to start and run but the Husky feels better in the cut and at the end of the day.

By the way I currently have several Stihls, 056 (2 of them), a 362, a 461 and a 170. I have several Huskys: the 550xp, 2 372XPs, one stock and the other an HD, ported and muffler modded, a 394 being modded to a 395. The saw is that gets the most use? The 170. Use it for everything around the house, limbing, trimming, cutting 4x and 6x deck posts, cleaning up minor storm damage and trimming my wife's roses. She doesn't ask me to do stuff when she hears a saw lift off. Also, do not try this at home (Bubba), it is for professionals only: I have a throwaway bar and chain that I use on roots I can't get with my sawzall. Gotta clean the heck out if it but it works better than the sawzall. Okay, for you purists, that is the only saw that intentionally goes in the dirt. My favorite at the moment is the ported 372 but the little 550 is not far behind and ahead of time the Stihl 261, which I sold.

Well I pulled the trigger on a nice used 346XP NE. A member on this site hooked me up. That 346xp is an impressive little saw. I reminds me of an angry little beaver. Looks like it is gonna fit my needs just fine. It's got a 16" Tsumura bar and .325 stihl chain, new piston and rings. Thanks for all the opinions and info gents. I'm sure one of those fancy new computer controlled saws will find its way to my shed some day. I can see how almost everyone says the 346 is the best 50cc class saw of all time.

Obligatory pics of my new toy:

image.jpeg

image.png

e4ba741e6ee9b5b4cffde807c78de8b8.jpg
. Picked up this junker Friday [emoji3] . Got 1.5 tanks of fuel through in the snow today and it runs perfect! Uncles 545 I got him last year is in the shop for its bog-stall issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran the 261 and 550 side by side over about 6 hours set up exactly the same with 18" bars and Oregon chisel chain. I have been a Stihl guy for 30 years but the 550 and, later the 372 have places in my shop. I like the 550 better than the 261. Smoother with maybe a bit of an edge in power to the Husky. But the 261 is a very nice 50cc saw. The 261 feels more natural to start and run but the Husky feels better in the cut and at the end of the day.

Very interesting & nicely put commentary!

[QUOTE="superw6, post: 6055377]Uncles 545 I got him last year is in the shop for its bog-stall issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Nice looking "G"!

What mix ratio was he running in it?

Three cans of Husqvarna premixed, Stihl , echo red armour all at 50:1 and my Motul 40:1 91 octane. Acted up from new but he didn't take it back till now. Has had at least 10-12 tanks through it.

Three cans of Husqvarna premixed, Stihl , echo red armour all at 50:1 and my Motul 40:1 91 octane. Acted up from new but he didn't take it back till now. Has had at least 10-12 tanks through it.

Ok definitely something more serious.

Mine isn't a fan of 32:1, runs like a top on 40:1

I'm all shook up and need some help. I went to my local dealer this week with intent ( boss lady was on board) to buy a 550xp or 545 with auto tune. I want a nice pro grade 50cc class light weight saw. Didn't see any on the shelf so asked if they could order one in. They said they'd had nothing but problems with the husky auto tunes and told me all kinds of horror stories. I've read a bunch of good reviews online so I was a bit surprised. This is the closest dealer to me and they sell mostly Stihls but carry Husky, and Echo. I generally like dealing with them. He showed me the ms261 c-m and said they'd had much better luck with that saw, it felt OK but I know nothing about it. I'm mostly a Husky/ Jonsered fan and don't know what route to take. I like the idea of the auto tune or M-Tronic because I cut at a bunch of different altitudes and it could simplify life theoretically. But if the electronic widgetry is more of a hassle and needs the dealer to fix all the time then I don't want the hassle. I really wish they still made the 346xp new. I've been looking at finding a used one but a nice 346xp ne is usually pushing $400 plus which is awfully close to a new 545.

I'm out in Colorado live on the front range but usually cut on a few properties from 9-10k feet but it would be nice to have one saw I didn't need to tune when using it down at 5000' or when I'm at out in MN. I've got a couple 70cc class saws and a Jonsered 2245 that I've been quite impressed with for a little 45cc limbing saw. When we are up cutting I generally take 4 saws with because time is critical and I can't be messing around going down into town to get parts or repairs, 2 hours plus each way.

Sorry for the long rambling post. Just looking for some advice input on what would be best so out of these what would you pick ?

New Husqvarna 550xp, 545 auto tune
Stihl 261 c-m
Nice used 346xp
Husqvarna 450 or 445 non "pro" (I have a Jred 2245 that I'm happy with)
Any other ideas?
I have a 550xp best running 50 cc saw I have run . Light too ,dont listen to everything you here . Mine is 3 yrs old

I have a friend that owns a tree company in my town and they have 5x 550s and they happen to be there most used saws, I service all there saws for them and they really have been faultless little saws
we have found the two 261s that they had were also good but they had weak clutch bearings in comparison and none of the climbers liked the 261 over the 550 for climbing with, and all the guys swear the 550s have more power despite being equal on paper
I feel that since the release of the AT saws they have copped a fair bit of bad review but I have personally never had or seen any major issues with them and I even owned a early 2011 562

Latest posts

Back