Dealing w Fireblight

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jace

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Not sure the best approach. Or is it even worth trying. While its poor practice to top trees, is that the only option besides removal? Whether they get injected with something like "arbor OTC" or not, they have to be pruned...major
Sterilization between cuts, made when its dry out.
Pain-in-the-rear.
(Along w sprayng streptomycin in the spring during flowering 3-4x next yr...money pit.)

Anyway, what is the best practice/option(s) to deal with this, esp as far as pruning? To heck w proper technique and butch it major? Spend 2+ hours a tree trying to do it properly?
Maybe just throw diesel w a little bitta gas on them, and walk away throwing down the last 2" of a $25 cigar? Nah, finish the cigar.

fb1.jpg fb2.jpg fb3.jpg

I'd wait it out a year. It is so dependent on environmental conditions, it may not be bad next year. If it is, then begin thinking about treatment options...they are all expensive. Doing it wrong just makes it more expensive in the long-run.

Replacement may be a better option for many situations???

Jace, I know how you have been trying to increase your skill set. You have come a long way. Been fun to watch.

Erwinia infection is very closely related to a phenomena called ice nucleation. Research.
Look into the copper based bacteriacide called "Kocide".

I manage infected trees with target pruning, oxidation (h2o2 or bleach) and or heat applied directly to cankers (160 degrees +) and timed applications of Kocide.

Well, its right almost bud break time where Im at, I had put off heavy pruning untill the dormancy, but now that its been here and almost too late(got a few days left), Im thinking that the only way to aim to successfully prune out fireblight would be to break the "code of ethics" in regard to topping/heading back(HArd to pick out all the many infected twigs & branches). I just cant bring myself to do that, esp knowing that it may not "get" all the disease bacteria out of the vascular, and may still spread. Im thinking just no pruning at all on these till we see what happens after they leaf out, and then mid summer (or when its dry weather atleast) if its soeradic branches and not everywhere, prune out infected branches,(maybe shouldve last yr?) and if theyre all infected badly just advise removal. I just cant bring myself to butch these trees, even when I see it everywhere. I injected quite a few last yr with Arbor OTC. I may go ahead and spray Cupro Kocide or streptomycin during flowering, but even that seems to require 3-5 applications(post rains) to be very effective, and who wants to pay for multiple trips...and I dont know that Im comfortable even w spraing bacteriacides into the air multiple times-I mean what good is it for our environment when the stinkin trees are junk, nothing CURABLE even offered for fireblight, and really ought to be replaced w something resistant.
What a headache...
Anyone have better luck or read studies showing that spraying Copper is any better than strepto?
Anyone thoughts?

Back