Deciding whether to buy a Stihl O56 Magnum II - Good Saw? - Bad Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got mine back together after repairing a hogged-out AV bracket, it is a cool saw. Seemed to bog down rather easily with a 25" bar in a big red oak, though. Maybe some tuning to be done. The H screw burbles at 1/2 turn out, so not sure what that is about. It does go through some gasoline, but is has a really cool sound! It really barks at you. I like it enough that I may stick it in the Duplicator® to see what happens.........

it's not a fan-wheel - that's Bosch. You need the correct flywheel. If it's a soild aluminum flywheel for an 056, it's SEM. If it's a two piece, it's Bosch.

Last edited:
attachment.php

No flywheel pics, but the flywheel looked just like other Stihl flywheels. Hope that means it is a SEM version.

Last edited:
I got mine back together after repairing a hogged-out AV bracket, it is a cool saw. Seemed to bog down rather easily with a 25" bar in a big red oak, though. Maybe some tuning to be done. The H screw burbles at 1/2 turn out, so not sure what that is about. It does go through some gasoline, but is has a really cool sound! It really barks at you. I like it enough that I may stick it in the Duplicator® to see what happens.........

That definately shouldn't be. I've run a full comp 36" on my 045 Super and there's no bogging going on. I'm really amazed at the power and speed these ald saws have. They're only 1000 RPM behind a new 660. Mine runs perfect right at the factory spec of 12,000 RPMs @ WOT.

Search for my 056 mag2 rebuild thread.. it's all in there.... with pics...

Thanks, it is a SEM.

That definately shouldn't be. I've run a full comp 36" on my 045 Super and there's no bogging going on. I'm really amazed at the power and speed these ald saws have. They're only 1000 RPM behind a new 660. Mine runs perfect right at the factory spec of 12,000 RPMs @ WOT.

Well, I threw a 7.99 ebay Walbro on it after putting a new kit in the Tillotson and having it dump fuel out the back, and it runs fine, jumps when no load accelerating, but it seems to bog in the oak.

Also, it seems to still have the hydrolock problem in the case, even though I idled it dry last weekend. Went to pull it over the other day, and it was real tight. One bump at a time. Not sure how oil would get into the case, but if I can find service info, I will figure it out. It is a cool saw, and I don't mind the weight. Heck, I used an 084 with a 41" bar for a couple of hours last Saturday on that big oak. Two and a half tankfuls, in addition to 3 tanks in the 056, and rolling logs around. I must say it bore a suspicious resemblance to physical exertion..............made sum big ol' cookies that day, two tables coming up someday............will post pics when I get them sanded.

So when tuning with a tach, you just set the L screw to 1/4 turn richer than lean drop-off, then fiddle the H till you get the factory spec RPM no load with bar and chain?

Last edited:
One of the best saws Stihl ever made. Thoes 056's have cut a LOT of timber. Get it and drill some holes in the muffler and air box then make it 4 cycle and watch out!!

re 056 magnum 2 rebuild

Search for my 056 mag2 rebuild thread.. it's all in there.... with pics...

hi andy been trying to find the thread on your rebuild but no luck do you have a quick find link ???. have just picked up a 056 mag 2 for the princely sum of a bunch of flowers [ i work on a cut flower farm ] its very clean 1 owner saw but alas no ignition have been quoted $500 for a new one including flywheel, but i have several electronic ones off late model 08s - will these fit cheers steve . im in geelong victoria :chainsawguy::rockn:

hi andy been trying to find the thread on your rebuild but no luck do you have a quick find link ???. have just picked up a 056 mag 2 for the princely sum of a bunch of flowers [ i work on a cut flower farm ] its very clean 1 owner saw but alas no ignition have been quoted $500 for a new one including flywheel, but i have several electronic ones off late model 08s - will these fit cheers steve . im in geelong victoria :chainsawguy::rockn:

Click on his username.

In the new page that opens up, click on Statistics.

Then click on "Find all threads started by Lakeside53."

Then find <a href="http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=48040">this thread</a>.

056 as a firewood saw?? Someone's got bigger forearms than me....or else they've got a BIG woodstove.

Latest posts

Back