Decompression valve spark-plug adapter for chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gushh

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking up this idea I had I found this thing: FRD EZ-D-Compression System
Ridiculously expensive, but it is what I had in mind... so turns out - as with any idea I've had- it already exists, kinda.

I'm thinking though, anyone with a lathe and milling machine could possibly come up with these devices on a fraction of the cost, but perhaps they exist already in affordable prices? any links?

The idea is that you could add a decompression valve to any chainsaw without having to replace or modify the cylinder (which requires tools not everyone has)

I'm also willing to bet a lot of people would love these things.

A couple issues: requiring longer sparkplugs, and the clearance for the adapter on certain chainsaws (might need to modify covers?) -- the sparkplug needs to be drilled on the side.

Thoughts?
:msp_sad:

Last edited:
Forgot to add, the part on that link is clearly cast, but who says the design has to be as complicated? -- Casting a piece like that is no simple feat, due to the cavity (you either machine it out later or you use a removable core)

Can't see why you'd spend money to add a decomp. Most saws that benefit from one already have one. Just sayin'.

What's this dienmayabc clown saying? I think he's a spam bot!

A lot of saws without a decomp valve could benefit from one... a lot. :msp_thumbsup:

Not so many in my opinion. It's a product for a market that doesn't really exist. Lots of guys don't even use the decomp on saws that have them. Man up, or buy a saw with decomp. Modern saws also have better filtration, antivibe, and less fumes.

Shaun

And yet there are guys who will wait years to come across certain kits for their vintage saws? doesn't add up.
You'd think there isn't a market for saw decals and yet there is... Just saying. Some things you don't know you want them until you see them or someone else got 'em.

I'm thinking the other direction: A bolt that threads in place of a cylinder with an existing decomp valve. That way we can extract every possible ounce of compression, while eliminating one more possible air leak spot. :fart:

I'm thinking the other direction: A bolt that threads in place of a cylinder with an existing decomp valve. That way we can extract every possible ounce of compression, while eliminating one more possible air leak spot. :fart:

Baileys sells a decomp plug if that's what you're talking about. A short bolt will work but the threads are M10x1.25 extra fine, and they are a PITA to find. I'm not to keen on the looks of this thing, but I'd be interested in something of the sort for my 281. 81cc at 185psi., she's a real bear when it's cold.

Latest posts

Back