Depth of face cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last tree of the day wedging video. Note that the tree is "small" but wedging is used. I think this was a training moment. The guy in the dark shirt was teaching the other guy and both were under the eye of an old, retired faller who was flagging traffic. They needed to fall the tree away from the paved road. Road trees will want to go towards the road, if the road was in place while the tree was growing. The limbs grow on the side of the opening.

In our area, fallers do the falling before the skidders and yarders move in, which does not make using that equipment an option, until a later time. I've been gone off on a trip for a week and was surprised to see how this thread had gone. So, time for my long and oft used wedging video. This was a real logging unit and the prescription was a commercial thin. The fallers say they like thinnings because they have to think a bit more about how to get the tree on the ground. It takes a bit more skill and a good bag of tricks.

Judging by the one on the lower right, Mike cut the heart out of it cause it may end up a veneer log..
Just a guess from a photo though.
some are gutted.......can't remember, that pic from last year. also i have a habit of trimming off the hinge so some look slick.

and prolly almost all of that made some grade of veneer

To each and all...you folks have sure taught me a heap about many things. All the variables to take a common sense approach about... Kinda the ol 'sit back, shut up and listen' theory. And I've been all ears instead of 'all mouth' on this one...ain't got no room to speak nohow when it comes to you folks who've been there, done that. I ain't so old nor stupid I can't digest and learn. You folks are great about sharing technique, knowledge, otherwise. I've enjoyed reading, digesting all inputs or otherwise from each of you. Bottom line... Just trying to be safe cuttin trees, again I don't do this stuff for a livin...but I wanna see the sun up tomorrow and burn wood when it's needed.

To be honest with ya, and I think this might be a whole nother thread that exists already, but wanna say this...I'm a lefty. Born that way, will die that way. Shoot guns lefty, etc., shoot a bow right handed, etc. Some things I'm ambidextrous about...swinging a baseball bat, throwing a frisbee, etc. Folks, I run a chainsaw right-handed obviously, but I have never felt 100% like it 'feels' right. I've always stiff armed with my left arm on the handle and even my throttle right hand has been tighter than 'dicks hat band.' Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm over doin things, other leftys do the same...I don't know. And I will never cross my arms and have the throttle in my left hand...sounds like a kickback possible, skull splittin experience to me. I can cut a tree with the basic notch cuts, buck one to my lengths needed, but it still to this day, at 47...is uncomfortable, at least in my lefty world. A chainsaw is the only piece of equipment in my regimen that gives me this 'odd' feeling runnin it right-handed. If any folks wanna chime in, I appreciate your time to read my post and your responses...especially you leftys who like me, just have a damn mental block. By the way righties, way too late to send this unit back for recalibration, Lol. I appreciate you folks input.

To each and all...you folks have sure taught me a heap about many things. All the variables to take a common sense approach about... Kinda the ol 'sit back, shut up and listen' theory. And I've been all ears instead of 'all mouth' on this one...ain't got no room to speak nohow when it comes to you folks who've been there, done that. I ain't so old nor stupid I can't digest and learn. You folks are great about sharing technique, knowledge, otherwise. I've enjoyed reading, digesting all inputs or otherwise from each of you. Bottom line... Just trying to be safe cuttin trees, again I don't do this stuff for a livin...but I wanna see the sun up tomorrow and burn wood when it's needed.

To be honest with ya, and I think this might be a whole nother thread that exists already, but wanna say this...I'm a lefty. Born that way, will die that way. Shoot guns lefty, etc., shoot a bow right handed, etc. Some things I'm ambidextrous about...swinging a baseball bat, throwing a frisbee, etc. Folks, I run a chainsaw right-handed obviously, but I have never felt 100% like it 'feels' right. I've always stiff armed with my left arm on the handle and even my throttle right hand has been tighter than 'dicks hat band.' Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm over doin things, other leftys do the same...I don't know. And I will never cross my arms and have the throttle in my left hand...sounds like a kickback possible, skull splittin experience to me. I can cut a tree with the basic notch cuts, buck one to my lengths needed, but it still to this day, at 47...is uncomfortable, at least in my lefty world. A chainsaw is the only piece of equipment in my regimen that gives me this 'odd' feeling runnin it right-handed. If any folks wanna chime in, I appreciate your time to read my post and your responses...especially you leftys who like me, just have a damn mental block. By the way righties, way too late to send this unit back for recalibration, Lol. I appreciate you folks input.
U'r doing it correctly. As Bitzer is fond of saying "it's all about stump time"

U'r doing it correctly. As Bitzer is fond of saying "it's all about stump time"

I appreciate your response, thank you. Cutting right handed I don't think will ever feel 'natural' at all to a lefty, at least me. It almost gets physically challenging and I get worn out probably way too soon than a right hander. I'm so damn fixated on overcompensating for a 'kickback problem'...I grip the livin hell out of the handles. It's almost like I could imprint the handles with grip alone. I guess being over cautious better than being under.

...I'm a lefty. Born that way, will die that way. . . . A chainsaw is the only piece of equipment in my regimen that gives me this 'odd' feeling runnin it right-handed.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/can-anyone-id-this-left-handed-chainsaw.183797/

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/are-there-any-left-handed-arborists-out-there.212289/ (Post#15)

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/ever-seen-a-left-handed-saw.130108/ (Post#18)

Others?

Philbert

I can empathize with you when I try to imagine using the saws pictured in the links above with my left hand on the trigger.

Philbert

Certain things that lefties are kinda left out in the cold with, in a righty predominate world. The studies, facts, and data say it all, I just wish a damn chainsaw didn't feel so awkward. No other piece of power equipment I've ever ran makes me sit back and 'think', and I guess that's a good thing when it comes down to it, before I make the first cut. I guess it's my way of thinking hand control the opposite. I haven't had a fiasco yet, knock on wood, hope I never do.

I'm so damn fixated on overcompensating for a 'kickback problem'...I grip the livin hell out of the handles. It's almost like I could imprint the handles with grip alone. I guess being over cautious better than being under.
Don't let Philbert hear this, but I don't even think about kickback when I'm cutting. If you have situational awareness of the bar tip, kickback doesn't happen much. Having a perma-death grip on the saw may keep you safer during a kickback event, but will likely cause you to face many more such events due to fatigue and jerky technique. I worry more about the power head coming back at me than the bar, as that is a bit harder to predict

I saw pics of some lefty chainsaws yrs ago, no one now even entertains making them. As far as Porter Cable goes, they dis make a left blade circular saw, at least they did a few yrs ago. Battery operated as well. Worm saws are left blade circular saws as well.

I've got that PC lefty worm drive circular. Helluva saw. And none of my friends want to borrow it! I'm predominantly right handed due to 2nd grade teacher: "The left hand is the hand of the Devil!" But I do plenty of jobs with either hand including runing a chainsaw. Yeah, you've got to think sometimes. But it's nice to feel comfortable switching the saw so it best fits the particular operation. Chainsaws aren't bad compared to getting a high torque gear reduction hand held drill with a finger activated trigger lock. Left finger will set that trigger lock every time!

Latest posts

Back