diagonal is bad, right?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was dead set on getting a hybrid ... no longer. Not knocking them at all, they are great, but I also am impressed with my ported 10 mm.
Yes, but you have to remember what the purpose of porting is Mike. After porting 10 mm doesn't mean anything except having a smaller wrist pin.

No replacement for displacement

Get one of Randy's "new recipe" port jobs on a 10 mm saw, and you won't need a hybrid! (you will think it is one)

Not sure if the 12s are just as strong or not, I don't have one.

I was dead set on getting a hybrid ... no longer. Not knocking them at all, they are great, but I also am impressed with my ported 10 mm.

I'm looking forward to encountering some hybrids at the GTGs with this saw. There is no purpose to debating on paper.

So a 10 mm new recipe is just as strong as a 12 mm hybrid (old recipe?)

So a 10 mm new recipe is just as strong as a 12 mm hybrid (old recipe?)

All I can tell you is the new recipe is stronger than I expected it to be, and I believe that it will be very competitive with the hybrids for a lot less money. A hybrid involves another P&C and more work.

If you look at my comments, Treesmith's comments (he has one too) or Randy's thread about it, I think you have to conclude it is not just another run of the mill ported 044. I know Treesmith and I both have 10 mm saws, I would like to see feedback from someone with a 12 mm new recipe saw.

There is a hybrid in my future rest assured, maybe a new recipe as well, we need to move medical science forward to where porting pros can clone themselves, we could have some real fun them :)
if we are taking bets, my guess on the secret to the new recipe is bacon with perhaps a little pancake batter
DDave

I'm looking forward to encountering some hybrids at the GTGs with this saw. There is no purpose to debating on paper.
A ported 044 by Randy is probably faster than the hybrid I built. No doubt, he can build a strong saw.
I'd like to see a ported 044 and a hybrid done by the same person run the same 36" bar in the same log.

Just to see

A ported 044 by Randy is probably faster than the hybrid I built. No doubt, he can build a strong saw.
I'd like to see a ported 044 and a hybrid done by the same person run the same 36" bar in the same log.

Just to see
Don't sell yourself short man...that saw you built is a runnin motherphucker:rock:

Just to see
I know a person with a hybrid and a 10mm 044 I built. The 044 is a touch slower than the hybrid from what I remember.

If they are that close, is the hybrid worth the extra expense & work??? Glad to hear they are very close, that is my impression.

Dave, I think Randy states what the difference is in his thread, you don't have to guess.

I've been very impressed with a hybrid at a GTG, but I'm also very impressed with this 044, and you can't make a hybrid out of a 10 mm.

If they are that close, is the hybrid worth the extra expense & work??? Glad to hear they are very close, that is my impression.

Dave, I think Randy states what the difference is in his thread, you don't have to guess.

I've been very impressed with a hybrid at a GTG, but I'm also very impressed with this 044, and you can't make a hybrid out of a 10 mm.
it didn't cost me anymore to build the hybrid, as I already had the jug and piston. for me it was a no brainier to build the faster saw.

mike, even between a stock 044 and a hybrid were talking seconds man LOL don't get to caught up in the fast saw BS brought on by the cookie cutters of AS. knowing what your doing means a whole lot more then the fast saw a guy had more money then brains to buy. most people can't keep up with a stock saw let alone a ported one when doing actual work. ported saws are fun don't get me wrong but most people have them for the wow look at him ego boost rather then to save time doing actual work. stihl charge to much for their saws BUT i'm gonna buy one anyways, have it ported, and stick a sugi RW on there so i can cut 5 cords a year :dizzy: :laugh:

I hear you and I generally agree with you, but turning a tree into firewood requires a lot more saw time than turning a tree into a log.

It is kinda similar to biking. If you put a poor rider on a good bike, it is a waste of machinery, but if you have two fairly evenly matched bikers, and one has a better bike than the other, you will see the difference. Note: better may depend on the route, some bikes climb well, some handle well, some are aero and go downhill faster. No matter if you are biking or chain sawing, you want your equipment to match your needs. That is why I don't have any real large saws, I just don't have the need for them.

Latest posts

Back