did some coyote calling today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucksnbears

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
between MN/ND. calling across the Red River can be a HOOT.
usually hit the river 2-3 times a year as acsess is limited due to "usually" deep snow.
find the deer/find the coyotes.
ended up killing 4 coyotes today. fun day for sure.

can't see it in the pic but just 10-15 feet to his left was a MAJOR deer trail coming across the river ice. she came down the trail till she was about 10-15 yards onto the ice and started going to the downwind side.
figgered i best dump her before she hit my wind.
she was a perty darn nice coyote for this area. and, she was almost burr-free which is almost impossible for our river bottom coyotes.

Looks to good and furred up
A lot thicker than ones I'm pulling from Kansas
Mine are bringing 5-7$
Yours are in the 40$ I think?
Cats are really low this year

I would love to hunt them bigger yotes you have!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What caliber rifle are you using .223? I have been looking at the 17WSM since its introduction. . .3000fps for a rimfire has me very intrigued. . .I am sure would be devastating on yotes.
between MN/ND. calling across the Red River can be a HOOT.
usually hit the river 2-3 times a year as acsess is limited due to "usually" deep snow.
find the deer/find the coyotes.
ended up killing 4 coyotes today. fun day for sure.

can't see it in the pic but just 10-15 feet to his left was a MAJOR deer trail coming across the river ice. she came down the trail till she was about 10-15 yards onto the ice and started going to the downwind side.
figgered i best dump her before she hit my wind.
she was a perty darn nice coyote for this area. and, she was almost burr-free which is almost impossible for our river bottom coyotes.

was useing Fawn distress along with pup coyote distress.

woodtick, i'm using a custom built cartridge. its a .204 case necked down to .17 cal.
bout 4200 f.p.s.
the .17 you mentioned will probably do a decent job but lack of a good "bullet" will hinder that cartridge for coyote.

thanks fellas

Deer muzzle season wrapped up here today so that marks the beginning of coyote hunting for me. Was getting my caller around the other night and tested the batteries with a low volume yote call. My dog immediately got up and ran straight to an old skinned pelt, sniffing and staring at it warily. Apparently he's met them in person once or twice to know that sound is a yote!

We used to call foxes, back when the hides where worth something. Havent been in years. We used a fox pup in distress. we would set the loud speaker up on the top of the truck and getup in the bed. We used a red lens on a spot light and you could see a fox coming in from a mile away. I have had foxes run in and under the truck and sit down and bark at us. Have to stomp the bed of the truck to get them to come out where we could get a shot. Laws have changed since then, no spotlights and cant take a fox except by trap or by dog. All the old fox hunters that used dogs are dead and gone and I dont know anyone that uses dogs for foxes. I think they allow dogging for coyotes though, but I havent checked a game book in years.

Very nice. Need to get ta movin on em myself. Everybody with a call uses the rabbit. Over done here, being this late I wont use it. Fawn, woodpecker and coyote sounds. I never leave a stand without playing pup distress. I would guess it brings one in 50% of the time, after calling for 30 min or so and they didn't budge. It's good on call shy yotes fellas. Knock em down.

Very nice. Need to get ta movin on em myself. Everybody with a call uses the rabbit. Over done here, being this late I wont use it. Fawn, woodpecker and coyote sounds. I never leave a stand without playing pup distress. I would guess it brings one in 50% of the time, after calling for 30 min or so and they didn't budge. It's good on call shy yotes fellas. Knock em down.

Same here in my area
This time a year female submission works really good

I am a rancher on the side and have to take care of the overly brave and hungry yotes from time to time. We had Great Pyranies over the years that used them as to go snacks, yard looked like a pet cemetry gone very wrong come spring time but our last pasted away last summer and we haven't got another one yet. So I do the clean up now and have a variety of reaching tools. The biggest problem is the smart ones are the ones left so they stay a long ways off or wait till after dark which is illegal in this province.

I am a rancher on the side and have to take care of the overly brave and hungry yotes from time to time. We had Great Pyranies over the years that used them as to go snacks, yard looked like a pet cemetry gone very wrong come spring time but our last pasted away last summer and we haven't got another one yet. So I do the clean up now and have a variety of reaching tools. The biggest problem is the smart ones are the ones left so they stay a long ways off or wait till after dark which is illegal in this province.

Not if your protecting livestock
I'm in a no hunt at night state and talked to game warden about the problems and told me farmer and ranchers can do what ever means need to be taken
Last several years I have been hunting grain bags for yotes and coons

The mice would get them and the yotes would try to dig to them from the top of the bag and make hell of a mess

Ruins a lot of grain
You protect what makes you money!

Back