Did some milling today...pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlhead460

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Howdy y'all. Made the trip up to the property to try my hand at milling. This was my first attempt with an Alaskan mill. Had previously used a beam machine, but they are junk. Anyway, enjoy the pics. Target species was hemlock, with intentions of building another work bench for my shop.20161217_112812.jpg 20161217_113849.jpg 20161217_132429.jpg 20161217_132440.jpg 20161217_132450.jpg 20161217_132536.jpg20161217_132509.jpg 20161217_135703.jpg 20161217_143359.jpg

Looking good, but are you working on your knees... in the snow? Ouch!

Getting them a couple feet off the ground will make milling a lot easier, and those logs don't look so big that you can't lift them one end at a time.

Good luck!

Yeah I was, and it sucked. Feeling it today for sure. I had planned on getting the logs up off the ground, but the snow three I wrench in my plans....was not prepared for it. Had to stop and buy snow tires on the drive up, which put me way behind schedule.

Do u still have the beam machine? What did u not like about it?
RE; beam machine, the clamping arrangement is sloppy from spring in "hand" holding saw bar.
I've got "timber-tuff lumber cutting guide" similar in follow 1 x 4-6" wide board as guide that bar is 'sposed to ride parallel to. When I got mine it needed grinding on the flat part of holder to bring into parallel with guide channel. Both styles need the bar on the saw to have hole drilled thru for a bolt to take away the spring & allow tight enough hold on the bar.
With that effort the guide is usable for squaring ends of planks and edging straight lines on the milled boards too thick for circular saw. I use 1" x 3" AL rectangular tubeing as the guide for better results than gotten when I used boards. Also use it for small diameter logs for posts ,or prep for upright band saw of short boards. (-; safe sawing Happy Holidays

The problem I had with the bm is 1.) The guide doesn't got snug on the 2x4, there is about .25 wiggle room 2.) The clamp deforms and does hold the bar perfectly square and 3.) The bolt threads from the clamp to the guide is loose, allowing even more slop. Imho, about the best tolerance you can expect from the bm is railroad ties... probably fine for making end cuts, but no good for making long ripping cuts on large logs foe big beams or dimensional lumber. I also found the positioning of the saw awkward.

Latest posts

Back