Didier splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, Jon1270, maybe I should subscribe to the train of thought of laziness on the part of the seller as you indicated. Apparently they don't have a digital camera/phone to take their own picture. They do not believe in "Truth in Advertising" because this is NOT their splitter. They state 5 hp B&S and 19 inches splits. Wrong. The splitter pictured (mine) has a slightly larger than 5 hp B&S and I can split longer than their stated 19".

So.......... I sent the seller a <kindly> reminder of Craigslist rules which are photos included must be of the <exact> item for sale. They have updated their photos:
00a0a_4FUj2usp4Hs_600x450.jpg
00c0c_hC5YXnzUrCH_600x450.jpg

Didier had about 4 different models. Their 'For Sale" model is a smaller version of what I own.

Oh, well. A beautiful Didier popped up on CL about a month ago and closer to home, but I wasn't in the market and let it go by. I saw the ad above because I've been kicking myself, and poking around to see how many others might be available. I live a few hours from Mansfield.

I had one that was sold under the John Deer name it must have been the MF26 model.I took it along with 2 saws 1-Shiindy and 1 J.D.=Echo saw on trade for a Italian racing bicycle in 1980. My brother and I used it to split enough wood to heat our homes for almost 30 years. My dad would help us some times, those were some good times.In the last few years we would cut grooves in some taller rounds and lift the splitter up and set the wheels and toung in these grooves and we no longer had to kneel to operate.In all that time I only up graded the motor to a Honda GC160. Sold it and we now have a 37T Northern Tool and a Brave 22T.

Stay safe and healthy

Hello, Members!
I like to tell you having a great time reading how all of you are keeping your splitters running.
Today I like to discuss about reseal on control valve. my valve is leaking from back side
Anybody can help how to disassemble and what kind o ring should be used.
Your help will be much appreciated.
John:barbecue:

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 31
Sheri:
I have an old Didier Model 26 splitter that runs great. The brass guides on the sides of the push slide are worn and need to be replaced before they break. Any chance they are available somewhere? I don't have a parts manual, so don't know the part number, which should be the same for both. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sheri:
I have an old Didier Model 26 splitter that runs great. The brass guides on the sides of the push slide are worn and need to be replaced before they break. Any chance they are available somewhere? I don't have a parts manual, so don't know the part number, which should be the same for both. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Most parts for splitters are interchangeable - Didier's are no longer made so you should be looking for a generic replacement. Send me your email address so I can forward you the manuals I have. Click on my avatar and send your addy to me privately.............

I'm amazed at how much good info is here on this site! I'm not sure what happened to my old login but when I tried to log in it wouldn't work so just set up a new one. I just picked up a nice little Didier splitter and thought I'd look here for some info and sure enough, here are pages of good stuff. Mine is tagged as a Sears model 498.286671 and has what appears to be the original B&S engine that' stamped Model 130202, Type 0801-01, Code 8007310. I was really happy to see that a manual might be available so just sent a note to Sheri. I have about a pickup load of wood piled next to the chicken coop that needs splitting so plan to give it a workout tomorrow. Thanks to all who have posted the great info here!

The best replacement motor is the Honda 5 HP that comes on pressure washers because it's already set for 2600 RPM. If you go out to CL and search for a pressure washer, there should be several with bad pumps. I purchased 2 of them for $100 each. They run great, start the first pull, and are pre-set for running at a speed that's perfect for the Didier splitters.

I'm amazed at how much good info is here on this site! I'm not sure what happened to my old login but when I tried to log in it wouldn't work so just set up a new one. I just picked up a nice little Didier splitter and thought I'd look here for some info and sure enough, here are pages of good stuff. Mine is tagged as a Sears model 498.286671 and has what appears to be the original B&S engine that' stamped Model 130202, Type 0801-01, Code 8007310. I was really happy to see that a manual might be available so just sent a note to Sheri. I have about a pickup load of wood piled next to the chicken coop that needs splitting so plan to give it a workout tomorrow. Thanks to all who have posted the great info here!

I just sent you the files.

My Didier is suffering a fluid issue right now - hopefully it will have a new 2.8 gallon hydraulic tank & maybe newly configured hoses on it soon. Hey, considering my splitter is circa mid 1970's that makes it around 40 yrs. old so upgrades are to be expected. :)

In case anyone is interested, I ordered the smallest tank I could find (Northern Tools) - it is 9x9x9" - about twice the size of the original.

I just sent you the files.

My Didier is suffering a fluid issue right now - hopefully it will have a new 2.8 gallon hydraulic tank & maybe newly configured hoses on it soon. Hey, considering my splitter is circa mid 1970's that makes it around 40 yrs. old so upgrades are to be expected. :)

In case anyone is interested, I ordered the smallest tank I could find (Northern Tools) - it is 9x9x9" - about twice the size of the original.

Got the files - Thanks Shari!! That's a gold mine of info.

I spent the weekend doing honey-do's and the splitter sat there calling me. I cut down a couple of decent size Douglas Firs next to a friend's house a bit over a year ago and they're the most knotted rounds of wood that I've ever seen, probably because they were so close to the house. I've pecked away at them with a splitting maul and a sledge and splitting wedges and hardly made a dent in the wood. This morning my grandson and I fired up the Didier and went through 1/3 of the pile in about an hour, part of that time positioning things, moving a trailer next to the splitter and so on. Mine has the single stage pump on it so is a bit slow but it went through the knots and kept on splitting. Several just had to be split at the knot and I was planning to have to pull a stuck piece of wood off of the wedge but the engine would just give an extra grunt and then push right on through. Awesome splitter! I have just under 20 acres and part of it is in trees so have my eye on a couple more that I don't think I'll get in too much trouble with my wife for dropping and splitting... I'll try to get a few pictures of it to post. It's a Sears but I think it's pretty much the same as an LMF19.

The best replacement motor is the Honda 5 HP that comes on pressure washers because it's already set for 2600 RPM. If you go out to CL and search for a pressure washer, there should be several with bad pumps. I purchased 2 of them for $100 each. They run great, start the first pull, and are pre-set for running at a speed that's perfect for the Didier splitters.
That's good info to know. I worked in a shop repairing pressure washers when I got out of the Navy in 1975 and have been buying them and fixing them off and on ever since. About this time of the year every year I come across a couple that were left in the shed with the pump full of water and froze and cracked the pump. The B&S on my splitter starts on the first pull, runs clean and still has last year's spark plug in it and it's clean as a whistle, though it wouldn't hurt a bit to have a spare on hand. The previous owner has always used ethanol-free gas in it (he's a retired logger and had some awesome chainsaws - which weren't for sale - and says he learned the hard way just how bad ethanol is on carburetors, fuel lines and so on) and says he changed the oil twice a year. Hopefully it'll hold up awhile but it'd be nice to have a backup. they never fail at a convenient time.

Here's the splitter, mounted on the high speed, low drag wheeled table the previous owners built. Man does it work nice! I'll probably weld up something different at some point, but on the other hand, there's a lot to be said about "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I'm throwing in some extra pictures since sometimes they're helpful for people putting together a garage sale basket case or something. These are loaded from my Photobucket account, which is mostly Chambers Gas Range stuff. Feel free to dig around if interested. http://s151.photobucket.com/user/swinters01/library/?sort=3&page=1

1Splitter%20640x408.jpg

Left Rear:
2LeftRear%20640x480.jpg

Right Rear:
3RightRear%20640x577.jpg

Hydraulic Pump (Single Stage, Model 205 2266)
4HydPump%20640x480.jpg

Left Front Close:
5LeftFront%20640x480.jpg

Sears Model Tag (oil is from leak at control valve elbow):
6SearsModelTag%20640x480.jpg

Control Valve (very slight leak at top rear elbow):
7ControlValve%20480x640.jpg

Interesting table! It looks a little "Fred Flintstone" but hey, it works and that is the object. :)

As I age I am beginning to respect my back a LOT more. If any changes were to be thought about on your table, I'd figure out a way to stand a bit closer to the beam (maybe a slight cut out on the table top and rearrange the supports?) and put a vertical stop right in front of your belly (horizontal 2x6 would do it). Two reason for these slight improvements: When the split falls on the opposite side of the beam means you don't have to reach as far to grab it back (reaching and moving that lifted weight simply kills my back) and having that "belly stop" protection piece stops rounds or splits from falling on your toes and also stops rounds from rolling off the beam.
didier_after-1.png

Here's how list member Triptest modded mine. This pic has been posted at least a couple of times. ;) On the opposite side you can see the 'belly stop' he added. That stop is about 3-4" away from the beam. I actually stand right next to that stop when I'm splitting - therefore my 'reach' isn't too far at all to grab a round after the first split is done.

Shari

Interesting table! It looks a little "Fred Flintstone" but hey, it works and that is the object. :)

As I age I am beginning to respect my back a LOT more. If any changes were to be thought about on your table, I'd figure out a way to stand a bit closer to the operator (maybe a slight cut out on the table top and rearrange the supports?) and put a vertical stop right in front of your belly (horizontal 2x6 would do it). Two reason for these slight improvements: When the split falls on the oposite side of the beam means you don't have to reach as far to grab it back (reaching and moving that lifted weight simply kills my back) and having that "belly stop" protection piece stops rounds or splits from falling on your toes and alsos tops rounds from rolling off the beam.
didier_after-1.png

Here's how list member Triptest modded mine. This pic has been posted at least a couple of times. ;) On the opposite side you can see the 'belly stop' he added. That stop is about 3-4" away from the beam. I actually stand right next to that stop when I'm splitting - therefore my 'reach' isn't too far at all to grab a round after the first split is done.

Shari

I was looking at that setup in your earlier post and it looks like the ticket. The guy I bought the splitter from said that his wife said she was dreading splitting wood because the bending over using the splitter on the ground was a back killer so he went out to his scrap lumber pile and built this as a temporary trial. Over 10 years ago. It works good with two people (the handle on the front wheels spins around so it's underneath and out of the way) but you still have to lift the round up to the table. That log lift on yours would make all the difference. I need to be able to tow mine from the barn where I'll store it to in front of the woodshed where I'll do the splitting so will have to design that into mine as well. Is the table on the front removable?

Yes, table is removable. The lift is powered by my 12v winch. Lift is removable also.
Shari - The people I got the splitter from found their original Sears manual for it! I scanned it and emailed a copy to you. Feel free to share it with anyone who needs it.

If anyone can use a copy, send me a PM with your email address and I'll email a copy.

Hello. Could someone please help me. I was told this is a Didier MFD 26. I am looking for the instruction manual. The internet is useless...haha.

Attachments

• 100_0605.JPG
    100_0605.JPG
    274.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 100_0606.JPG
    100_0606.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 100_0608.JPG
    100_0608.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 40
The splitter appears to be a Didier but it has seen several changes. The engine has been replaced and moved to the opposite side so the exhaust would blow away from the operator. The reservoir is original but raised up.

Back