Diesel chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dodge Ram 1500 with a 3.0L VM Motori and now the possibility of a diesel chainsaw?? And we wait….

I tried to find a 2.5 VM Motori that was used in the jeep xj and the mjs. Jeep built a lot of them but we never had them. I went with the 3.0 turbo Mercedes OM617 in my xj.

Later
Dan

I tried to find a 2.5 VM Motori that was used in the jeep xj and the mjs. Jeep built a lot of them but we never had them. I went with the 3.0 turbo Mercedes OM617 in my xj.

Later
Dan

we won't hold that against you dan:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

we won't hold that against you dan:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

You guys can laugh all that you want. I haven't bought any fuel for it in the last 2000 miles. LOL

Later
Dan

Last edited:
Interesting. I had no idea diesel had lubricating properties to that extent...

Nik,
Diesel is, after all, oil.
Home heating oil, kerosene oil, Jet-A...all oils. err "fuels" but based as refined "oils"

(feels pretty slick when I spill it near the pumps. completely scientifically speaking of course)

man I love diesel would love to have a D2 powered saw, airplane, lawnmower weedwacker ect.

its quite amusing reading this thread with you guys complaining about US gas / fuel price. you need to live in blighty for a while. then you will have something to moan about :hmm3grin2orange:

its quite amusing reading this thread with you guys complaining about US gas / fuel price. you need to live in blighty for a while. then you will have something to moan about :hmm3grin2orange:

Ya, fuel is cheaper here than a lot of places but our dealers don't carry very many of the exceptionally good mileage vehicles you can get over there or elsewhere in euroland/asia/south america, etc.

ahhhh ...there is a world outside of the USA ?

really?

and we Americans don't "complain", we just point out the painfully obvious relatively clearly and often.

Sorry, joking in a USA centric means of comedy.

Ya, fuel is cheaper here than a lot of places but our dealers don't carry very many of the exceptionally good mileage vehicles you can get over there or elsewhere in euroland/asia/south america, etc.

yeh, that's because our place aint as big as yours, so we don't need to drive around all over the shop! :biggrinbounce2:

Later
Dan

I don’t ever recall seeing the diesel jeep in my area. I know Chrysler made them but I think they were a very rare bird. If they can actually get the 1500Ram turbo diesel to the market with the 8speed tranny, it should be a real game changer especially if it can get close to 30MPG. A diesel chainsaw in the back bed would be the icing on the cake.

Our fuel is cheap but it is also low octane. Equipment drinks it like free beer. You can get higher octane fuel but it is expensive. Even our diesel is now low/no sulfur and does not seem to have as much energy as the old stuff.

I don’t ever recall seeing the diesel jeep in my area. I know Chrysler made them but I think they were a very rare bird. If they can actually get the 1500Ram turbo diesel to the market with the 8speed tranny, it should be a real game changer especially if it can get close to 30MPG. A diesel chainsaw in the back bed would be the icing on the cake.

They didn't offer the 2.5 diesel to us here in the states, they exported all of them. They did offer us the Renault diesel in 1985-78, they had 85hp and 132 ft- lb of torque. In other words, darn slow. I would like to see them offer the new diesel with an 8 speed in a mid sized truck.
I worked on Jeep for 17 years. If you want to waist an hour, call me and asked about how bad of an engine the Renault diesel was.

Later
Dan

They didn't offer the 2.5 diesel to us here in the states, they exported all of them. They did offer us the Renault diesel in 1985-78, they had 85hp and 132 ft- lb of torque. In other words, darn slow. I would like to see them offer the new diesel with an 8 speed in a mid sized truck.
I worked on Jeep for 17 years. If you want to waist an hour, call me and asked about how bad of an engine the Renault diesel was.

Later
Dan

I ran a diesel Mercedes sedan for many years. It would go 0 to 60 in about 3 seconds if you pushed it out of a helicopter. Otherwise, the run took about 25-30 seconds with your foot flat on the board. Had a whopping 63hp at 3000rpm. Everything from the canister filter to changing the oil in the injector pump was a pain but it was a great car. Built like a tank.

Mitsubishi Fuso FG 4x4 is a great medium sized diesel truck. Been looking for one for a while but used they always want the moon and stars for them. A would also like a Unimog. Maybe if I win the powerball….

You would think that because they are diesel they would be a little heavier than the gas ones, but I don't know anything of it yet, so I'll keep my mouth shut... for now.

yeh, that's because our place aint as big as yours, so we don't need to drive around all over the shop! :biggrinbounce2:

Our best era for good mileage vehicles was the 80s. Small diesel trucks, various marks (I have one), the rabbit diesel (60!!), honda..crv back then, first gen maybe. Some 40-50MPG various cars and small trucks, since then..not so much, hybrids I think can get 40 or better.

I don't have a diesel saw, but I *do* have a practical alternative, the oregon electric, which in a pinch I can recharge with my solar panels.

Nik,
Diesel is, after all, oil.
Home heating oil, kerosene oil, Jet-A...all oils. err "fuels" but based as refined "oils"

(feels pretty slick when I spill it near the pumps. completely scientifically speaking of course)

man I love diesel would love to have a D2 powered saw, airplane, lawnmower weedwacker ect.

The main lubricant in Diesel fuel was sulfur. I say "was" because the EPA took almost all of it out a few years ago.
The newer engines are OK with it but older one is a question mark. I add one ounce of 2 cycle oil to a gallon to help lubricate my diesels.

old version new version

Well, that old Comet looks like it would also solve the problem of mosquitos while cutting!

As I recall, military saws ('both sides') in WWII were diesel (?), which makes sense, as they would run on the same fuel as their trucks. But hey, if someone can make a modern one work . . . . Maybe run the motor and lube the bar with the same 'uni-fluid'?

Love to see pictures of the new ones if anyone posts them.

Philbert

Back