Difference between Oregon 72LGX and 72LPX

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomad_archer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So can someone help me out, I am trying to decide which chain to order a few 28" loops of oregon 72LGX or 72LPX. I cannot figure out the difference between the two. Any recommendation would greatly appreciated. I will be running this in mostly hardwoods on a husky 365.

Thanks.

I believe 72LGX is called SuperGuard, a chisel chain, better for "clean wood", it cuts faster but dulls quicker if the wood is dirty/gritty.

d1b2020842c959656a904579f65a92d9.jpg

72LPX is called Super70, also a chisel chain, has a ramped raker. It is a low vibration chain that should have very similar qualities to LGX.

95343e43dd65d3bf883c8bf01d66074b.jpg

LPX and LGX have the same full chisel cutter like whats already been said the LPX has the bumper and is a little smoother.

Derf you're think of DPX which is the semi chisel with the bumpers.

Edit: never mind you corrected your post.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

l bought two rolls of oregon 72DPX & 72APX both semi chisel chains one is skip. While they have the bumper in front of the raker, Oregon don't regard it as 'saftey chain'. I removed the bumpers on some loops l made up and it would plunge/bore better and cut a little faster through a round but for most applications its perfectly acceptable fast cutting chain. I would buy it again but in 063 as l prefer it.

LPX has a extra little bumper that makes it run a lil smoother. Otherwise same chain and they seem to cut the same.

The rakers themselves are smaller and less ramped on the LPX.

LP/LPX is my favorite chain, but I happily use LGX or RS/RSC as well - no big deal!

I normally cut clean wood so preferred LPX over DPX but RS has really impressed me for holding an edge.

But now mustangmike has me hooked into square. A guy can never catch up lol.

I believe 72LGX is called SuperGuard, a chisel chain, better for "clean wood", it cuts faster but dulls quicker if the wood is dirty/gritty.

d1b2020842c959656a904579f65a92d9.jpg

72LPX is called Super70, also a chisel chain, has a ramped raker. It is a low vibration chain that should have very similar qualities to LGX.

95343e43dd65d3bf883c8bf01d66074b.jpg

Oregon should have explained the difference a bit better - as it is, their descriptions tend to confuse people into believing the ramp is the only difference, and it isn't. Also, the pictures contribute to the confusion, as they are enlarged to a different degree.

I run both, but the LPX is also my favorite. If you bore or plunge cut at all the LPX is the way to go. It's not near as chattery as LGX. As far as cut SPEED I can tell no real difference.

Is RS3/RSC3 like LPX? I've used LPX but never used it just RS/RSC.

For all practical purposes the answer is a huge NO, but.....

.....the basics of the Stihl "3" design obviously is "borrowed" from the LP/LPX. However, it is hampered with both full size ramped rakers of the RS/RSC (resembling LGX) and much larger ramps than the LP/LPX.

Stihl basically copied a clever design, and destroyed it to make "green" chain. Carlton comitted about the same butchery of the LP design some years earlier.

Back