difference in moisture reading from end to center

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loadthestove

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I had my sons in the wood lot with me today and always wanting to teach the something showed them why its important to get at least a season or more ahead with firewood.
I explained low moisture content and the reason why, and to drive my point home we checked a piece from a stack we had made in the spring.
The ends of the wood are gray and cracked with low moisture content but when resplit and checked in the center there was a big difference
0829151805a.jpg
0829151823a.jpg

I had my sons in the wood lot with me today and always wanting to teach the something showed them why its important to get at least a season or more ahead with firewood.
I explained low moisture content and the reason why, and to drive my point home we checked a piece from a stack we had made in the spring.
The ends of the wood are gray and cracked with low moisture content but when resplit and checked in the center there was a big difference
View attachment 443971
View attachment 443975
Great job showing your kids what you wanted them to know. Better than just telling them something.:cheers:

Yep..one year just ain't enough around here with oak, just ain't. Unfortunately, I would bet 99% of people who burn wood around here burn wood just like that, cut in the summer, burned in the fall and winter, a lot of it only split a day or so before it goes into the stove. I bet there's old timers around here who have never experienced actual dry wood.

seasoning is good but it all burns if the fire is hot enough.....moisture meter....lol.

That is true.
If the wood that heats the shop is seasoned for a week that's pushing it. Besides... cut it in the fall and burn it in winter, well that's a season haha!

seasoning is good but it all burns if the fire is hot enough.....moisture meter....lol.

Back