dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. The 45cc, 52cc, and 58cc are almost all interchangeable.

Stephen C- I hot the engine already. Just lacking time to swap right now. But everything I can see (including the carb) is the same.

Look up Chinese Chainsaw (45, 52, or 58cc) and you'll see most parts list all 3 engine sizes (one size fits all).

Here is the ad, seen it several times now

http://nwga.craigslist.org/tld/4321611312.html

Yep looks very similar style / build to the quakes. Not sure of the quality though, but I have looked at them myself online. I'd say you could get one shipped cheaper than the $160.

Less investment, less loss if it's not decent quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 58cc engines from these mount directly into the 45cc chassis of the Earthquake. Same mounts, same cases, just a bigger crank and cylinder. All plastic components are the same as well.

I bought a 58cc engine to put into the 45cc Earthquake tank. Don't know why I have spent so much on this saw... :mad: But I can't stop...
Can you measure the carb venturi diameter? The original Zenoah G5000 used a Walbro WT series carb with a 34/64" venturi - which is the largest I have seen on a WT series carb. It's a little small for a 50cc saw, and for 58cc I would think it would be a significant limitation. Clearly these use a Chinese carb, but I have not seen them make significant mods like that, but I am curious.

Can you measure the carb venturi diameter? The original Zenoah G5000 used a Walbro WT series carb with a 34/64" venturi - which is the largest I have seen on a WT series carb. It's a little small for a 50cc saw, and for 58cc I would think it would be a significant limitation. Clearly these use a Chinese carb, but I have not seen them make significant mods like that, but I am curious.

Don't have a set of calipers, so is there an easy way to measure? I will gladly do so, but can't until late tonight, or tomorrow morning sometime.

Don't have a set of calipers, so is there an easy way to measure? I will gladly do so, but can't until late tonight, or tomorrow morning sometime.
It is hard to get a good measurement anyway since the choke plate is in the way. If you can get a ruler close enough to eyeball the size of the smallest diameter that would be good enough - they've either been able to make it noticeably bigger or it won't make much difference anyway. My bet is they didn't.

For reference a 34/64" Walbro WT is stock on my 40cc Husky 142 and my 46cc Poulan 2775. That's why I'm thinking it is too small for 58cc. I'd like to play with one of those but if the carb is that small then it would drive the whole porting strategy, and force me to go for torque and low rpm. Changing to something like a Walbro HD would be a PITA.

This is a different model, but it's what is used on all the 45cc, 52cc and 58cc Devon, Blue max, and Richmond models as well. Or at least according to the Bay.

Screenshot_2014-02-15-16-41-02.png

This is a different model, but it's what is used on all the 45cc, 52cc and 58cc Devon, Blue max, and Richmond models as well. Or at least according to the Bay.

View attachment 333798
Yeah, I've seen that, as well as some that list the throttle plate size - but not the venturi. That's partly why I doubt it's any bigger than 34/64". I'm sure they will run OK that way, but as a candidate for something to mod for fun I don't want to run into some difficult-to-solve issue.

Well. The sizes of everything are the exact same. But........ (I never really delved into the 58cc carb. I just knew it looked the same)

After taking both carbs off tonight. The Earthquake carb is a Walbro carb. Where the carb on the 58cc engine I bought is not.

The Walboro has some features that are better and the Chinese model has some better features.

Walboro Pro's-
1.) Has a high idle arm when choke is engaged
2.) Has a Primer bulb port

Chinese carb Pro's-
1.) Has screws installed for H & L screws on carb
2.) Does not have a Primer port (personally, I don't like Primers. It's another thing that can go wrong).

Other than other subtle differences. They have the same intake (choke side), venturi, and outlet (engine side) sizes.

20140216_003045.jpg 20140216_003013.jpg 20140216_002945.jpg 20140216_002746.jpg 20140216_002708.jpg

Well. The sizes of everything are the exact same. But........ (I never really delved into the 58cc carb. I just knew it looked the same)

After taking both carbs off tonight. The Earthquake carb is a Walbro carb. Where the carb on the 58cc engine I bought is not.

The Walboro has some features that are better and the Chinese model has some better features.

Walboro Pro's-
1.) Has a high idle arm when choke is engaged
2.) Has a Primer bulb port

Chinese carb Pro's-
1.) Has screws installed for H & L screws on carb
2.) Does not have a Primer port (personally, I don't like Primers. It's another thing that can go wrong).

Other than other subtle differences. They have the same intake (choke side), venturi, and outlet (engine side) sizes.

View attachment 333887 View attachment 333888 View attachment 333889 View attachment 333890 View attachment 333891
Thank you! I have not been able to find that out anywhere. It will be interesting to hear how the 58cc runs - with stock porting it may have a lot of torque.

The castings on the Chinese carb look better, but then these are highly variable on the Walbros depending on where they are made. I have a Chinese made Walbro from a Jenn Feng made McColloch that is terrible.

Thank you! I have not been able to find that out anywhere. It will be interesting to hear how the 58cc runs - with stock porting it may have a lot of torque.

The castings on the Chinese carb look better, but then these are highly variable on the Walbros depending on where they are made. I have a Chinese made Walbro from a Jenn Feng made McColloch that is terrible.

The Chinese carb does seem to have much better casting and it's overall fit and finish is very good. I have a lot of wood to split today, but I wanna try and get the tank on the 58cc engine and get it into some wood.

Ok... I am trying to get the tank off the motor, and the two furthest back A/V mounts are being a PITA. I have the flathead about stripped and they still won't budge. These things are IN there! !

Anyone of you guys have a secret trick? I have sprayed and waited. Sprayed and waited. I've worked on 30 yr old saws that never gave me fits like this one. Only had about a tank ran through it.

20140217_184144.jpg

I'm betting there's some thread locker on that bolt. Any chance you can get a pair of needle nose vise grips on it?

Maybe try heating it up with a hair dryer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They do use some kind of thread lock goo on those bolts.
If you can get at it without melting anything, you could try applying heat directly to the bolt head with a high wattage soldering gun. I have had that work several times.

(I've also melted stuff several times...) LOL

I'm surprised to see a straight slot screw. I don't have any of the 45cc saws, but my 38cc is built with Torx head screws.

They do use some kind of thread lock goo on those bolts.
If you can get at it without melting anything, you could try applying heat directly to the bolt head with a high wattage soldering gun. I have had that work several times.

(I've also melted stuff several times...) LOL

It seems those Chinamen love their thread locker. The 45cc saws are the only ones I've ever seen with thread lock on the clutch.

Back