Disston DO-101

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWS-LLC

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just acquired a Disston DO-101. I am not finding much info on this one.

What can you guys tell me about this saw? I am not sure if I want to attempt to get this going or if I want to clean it up and put it up on a shelf.

Is there any source for parts?

For a saw built in the early 50's, it's in great shape.

78203bcc4a971eb74e473c45a07f574d.jpg

1509c87bf5642e5f1a016a916efcaf57.jpg

f59776867d75aa5331a89626b37984cb.jpg

Ross, you still going to Iowa this weekend?

Chris is bringing his Do-100 far as I know. You will want to talk to him about that saw. He just got his running. The fuel system on them are wayyyyy out there.

I watched in amazement as he was working on it.

Unfortunately it is looking like I will not be making the GTG, my wife is finally going back to work after almost 12 weeks off work due to foot surgery.

Taking my kids over there by myself is not going to work.

Well hopefully you can still make July.

FWIW, the way it is to me is there is one diaphragm in that fuel system that is about impossible to procure and no good way at this time to duplicate it.

Seems there is a work around for everything else.

There may be a reason why some of those old saws still look very good..

Well hopefully you can still make July.

FWIW, the way it is to me is there is one diaphragm in that fuel system that is about impossible to procure and no good way at this time to duplicate it.

Seems there is a work around for everything else.

There may be a reason why some of those old saws still look very good..

This guy was cleaning out his grandfathers estate and pulled it out of the barn. He says he remembers his grandpa running it 10-15 years ago.

The recoil is broke, the cable is not retracting.

Notice no one else replied to this. :dizzy:

Probably not a whole lot of folks who really know much about these.

Look it over close, it is a interesting piece for sure.
Dam. Thought I had.
I got a 100. Like the one my dad bought new in 48.
Folks say they were temperamental. He used it a LOT till 66. No trouble that I remember.
Beautiful castings.
And a Fuel Metering System.
I want mine running soon.

Notice no one else replied to this. :dizzy:

Probably not a whole lot of folks who really know much about these.

Look it over close, it is a interesting piece for sure.

Yea, I noticed.....

This could prove to be a challenge.....

It will be a challenge. I had a running DO100 in my hands yesterday, it is doable if you want to bad enough.

Like you posted earlier, and the little research I've done so far, that fuel pump is going to be the biggest challenge.

Regardless. The thing is in great shape and to me it was worth the Ulysses S Grant that I gave for it, even if it sits on the shelf in my shop as a conversation piece.

there is a guy,,that restores saws out in ny.. he has MADE, more than one diaphragm...lewis brandon.... he also makes his own decals...hes on c h a i n s a w c o l l e c t o r s....

Like you posted earlier, and the little research I've done so far, that fuel pump is going to be the biggest challenge.

Regardless. The thing is in great shape and to me it was worth the Ulysses S Grant that I gave for it, even if it sits on the shelf in my shop as a conversation piece.

The fuel pump is the easy part, seems a common Kohler diaphragm will work with it.

Ask around for the manuals for it, you will need them.

there is a guy,,that restores saws out in ny.. he has MADE, more than one diaphragm...lewis brandon.... he also makes his own decals...hes on c h a i n s a w c o l l e c t o r s....

Yep, Lewis done good but there is one diaphragm with a pin made in it that I don't think he or anyone else has been able to reproduce yet that I know of.

Chris and I tore one apart the other day to see about them. It looks like the original pin parts could maybe be reused but might take some intricate machining that is way above my pay grade.

This is the one I mentioned earlier and is a big reason why so many of these are incapable of running.

Yep, Lewis done good but there is one diaphragm with a pin made in it that I don't think he or anyone else has been able to reproduce yet that I know of.

Chris and I tore one apart the other day to see about them. It looks like the original pin parts could maybe be reused but might take some intricate machining that is way above my pay grade.

This is the one I mentioned earlier and is a big reason why so many of these are incapable of running.
I remember reading,,that lewis did figure out the pin arrangement...dont remember how,,but he did it...hes sharper than a tack....

I remember reading,,that lewis did figure out the pin arrangement...dont remember how,,but he did it...hes sharper than a tack....

I hope he did, but I don't remember him doing that. Chris didn't mention it either and I'm sure he would have been all over it.

Like I said, I think we had some ideas how to do it, there just ideas. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. ;)

My coworker just gave me one of this to mess with, it was his fathers. I was gonna start a thread on it but I may post stuff in this thread if you wouldnt mind. It would beneficial to us both. I will have pics this weekend hopefully.

Ross,

You may want to PM Dean Coates (Igpoe) to see if he can help. He will be tied up with the Heritage Fair this weekend so be patient.

Latest posts

Back