DIY Auxiliary Oiler?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkySkrape

SkySkrape
Reaction score
Has anyone ever constructed their own DIY Aux oiler? I'm new to the aux oiler concept and would love to hear/see what others have come up with and results... I'm thinking of crafting a DIY aux oiler for my stihl ms660 with a 42" bar for milling. Can you provide pics and possibly advice for someone in the same boat? Thanks!

Absolutely! DIY. You just need a container that you can hang on the outboard end of your CSM, a way to regulate flow (a valve of some sort) and some tubing to deliver it to the cutting side of the bar. No need to notch or drill anywhere on the bar for the oil to get into the groove. Just so it drips or flows close to the chain. Check the Chainsaw Milling 101 sticky at the top of the page also. I made mine out of about a 8 or 10 inch piece of 3" PVC, holds about a quart, various fittings and parts, and clear tubing so you can see the flow. Sight gauge on the side of the container was made with a bit of the same tubing and two elbows, self-tapped into holes drilled into the PVC. I don't know how to do pictures.

I used a big old tin coffee can, compression fitting on the bottom with a valve and copper tubing to the bar. I then commenced to go a little overboard, by putting a check valve for a breather vent up top. No need. If I were to do it again, I would use a smaller coffee can, and proberly save two tops for it, one with some breather holes poked in it, and one stock for transport. I would put up pics but I dont have em on me

It's ok luckily my iPhone has this cool thing where I just turn it upside down. It worky just fine! Thanks for sharing

Not the prettiest thing I've ever constructed but it works great! U.S. Plastics-bottle. NAPA-rubber hose, steel fuel line, tire valve stem,band clamps. Home Depot- brass valve to fit steel fuel line(5/16?) Misc. steel for "arm" to hold end of pipe near the chain, and to mount bottle. Oh yeah and tie wire (bailing wire)(every tool box needs a roll!) Happy milling! N8

Attachments

• mill1.jpg
    mill1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 439
  • mill.jpg
    mill.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 433
  • alaskan mill2.jpg
    alaskan mill2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 437
  • a.walnut4.jpg
    a.walnut4.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 366
I made a quick one up with a gear oil bottle and metal coat hanger. Cap it off when you stop and open when you start. It worked just fine supplying the 48" with oil along with the saw oiler.

I just took a quart oil bottle and siliconed a water valve to the bottom and a short piece of waterline to the bar.
I had to loosen the cap to get flow but have since just put a pin hole in it.

6aja2yhe.jpg
hepenuta.jpg
gepenese.jpg

What's the best method to apply oil?
1) Notch a rail behind the tip and drip oil into the notch?
2) Drip oil onto the sprocket tip?
3) Drill an oil hole (similar to factory) in the bar after the tip and drip oil into the hole?

What's the best method to apply oil?
1) Notch a rail behind the tip and drip oil into the notch?
Pros - easy to do and is quite effective, intermediate on oil use.
Cons - creates a potential wear points (remember it has to be done on both sides of bar) for chain, shouldn't really use bar off the mill after that

2) Drip oil onto the sprocket tip?[/QUOTE]
Pros: Easiest of all three to do, leaves bar untouched
Cons: Uses more oil.

3) Drill an oil hole (similar to factory) in the bar after the tip and drip oil into the hole?[/QUOTE]
Pros: most economical on oil.
Cons: hardest of all 3 to do (remember it has to be done on both sides of the bar), can easily get blocked

I used to use #3 and now use #2 on all my bars

Back