DIY Wood Stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet that barrel stove would heat you right out of that garage.

Maybe look for a used stove. If it's the garage you could even go with a pre epa stove if you aren't going to be out there for 8 hours.

I have heard of insurance companies having a problem with stoves in garages. They will probably have a problem with one built from a propane tank. Not worth the few dollars in savings building it yourself and ending up with a burnt down garage with an insurance company that will deny a claim.

I would agree. this is mid summer, the best time to search c list and find a deal on a used stove.

Hello!
This is my first post so please be gentle. :)
I am very interested in building my own wood stove, I was thinking of using an old propane tank. If I used that as a wood stove would steel conduit tubing work as a chimney? If there is any other way of to build a wood stove on a budget I'm all ears.

Thanks!
Kellen

Your insurance company won't approve of any homemade wood stoves. But if your garage isn't attached to your home and is at a reasonable distance away, you'll probably be ok. I once made a wood burning stove out of a 50 gallon water heater tank, and it was a beast. I used it to heat a shop at a farm. The shop wasn't insulated and we needed something to put out some serious heat. I got the plans for the heater from Mother Earth News magazine. A plasma cutter will be a huge help in the build. I had around $100 invested in plans, steel, welding supplies, electricity etc. in building it. The tank was free, they are easy to find. I burned huge amounts of trash wood in it like pine and willow, which was abundant everywhere on the place. It put out so much heat at full throttle that it once completely melted a plastic garbage can I'd mistakenly placed next to it.

Tell you what. If my financial plans work out and I get the Woodstock ideal steel I want this year I'll send you my Russo #2 wood/coal stove and you just pay me to ship it. You can't use coal because I can't find a coal basket but it burns wood fine. Just not very efficient.

Ins- garage heat- min 4ft off floor- even that will not always satisfy code - most will only accept traditional type of heat in ceiling mounted units. better is hot water in floor outside boiler. Course that has it own set of issues.

yep 4 ft. least wise that's what I had to set the ng unit to a few years back at home garage- In my shop(commercial building) everything has to ceiling hung- to pass city inspectors. when it gets below zero best be wearing your pac-boots inside as that concrete floor is cold and just sucks the life right out of you after about 6 hours. 12 hours with street shoes and you will have Frozen Tootsie Pops.

Back