do blue spruce and cotton wood make good firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cottonwood is great stuff. Almost as good as used Pampers.

:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

I used to drive an open-top Jeep, and they have the aerodynamics of a four-bedroom ranch house. Lots of wind blowing every which way inside. During cottonwood 'season,' all those little bastard 'cottons' used to constantly blow in my eyes. Lordy I hate cottonwoods.

Bottom line...burn it or not, but drop it just to kill that :censored:er dead.

spruce is a very good firewood, seasons very fast if split and smell's gr8 when burning. i wish i wood find a 60 footer around here, tallest one i found is about 40. if your gonna cut it do it now before the sap starts running or you'll have a mess. lol

As mentioned Blue Spruce is not too bad but use it in a Stove not a Fire Place unless you have glass doors It really pop's like throwing in a handful of .22s.
I don't think Blue is a Native tree for me, Lot's of them in the City they come from the southern Rocky's But I have burned a few.
The Guy's and gal's with the hard wood must laugh at us when we say Fir is the best firewood going?
I am thinking Cotton wood is like Poplar or Aspen? cant say anything about that one never burned it.

Personally...if it were my cottonwood...I'd drop it, let it rot where it fell, then every morning I'd go out and pee all over it.

As a warning to other cottonwoods.

:ices_rofl::ices_rofl::ices_rofl:

I can just see it now; Woodie in his tighty whities b*tch slapping a cottonwood every morning.

Evan,
Besides the poor BTU's and smell of cottonwood, it is very difficult to split by hand..especially the bigger rounds. It's stringy, fibrous and maddening stuff to work with. I'm not crazy about the spruce, either. I'd take it if there was nothing else available, but around here, I prefer the lodgepole and Ponderosa.

Cottonwood produces tons of white ash which tends to smother fires. I hate cutting spruce just because it's so soft and spongy that it can be difficult to split by hand with a maul (compared to Douglas Fir or Pine, anyway). If you have a splitter, go for it.

Cottonwood produces tons of white ash which tends to smother fires. I hate cutting spruce just because it's so soft and spongy that it can be difficult to split by hand with a maul (compared to Douglas Fir or Pine, anyway). If you have a splitter, go for it.
Yep +1 I find the Black Spruce I cut takes longer to season compared to pine at least a full year and I live in a very dry climate.But my splitter makes short work of Green Black spruce.

I have gone through about 2 cords of cottonwood this winter in my stove. It was cut and cross stacked this summer and seasoned just fine. It starts with just crumpled newspaper, (no kindling needed), but does burn quicker than fir or maple, so I use it in the daytime and longer burning wood at night. These were about 30" in diameter trees and I used a splitter to make 6" slabs and it split very easily. The one thing that I learned on this site that I believe helped was to leave the trees dry out till the leaves were papery before bucking and splitting. I wouldn't pay for cottonwood but if its free and easy access, I'd take it again. Maybe there are different subspecies of cottonwoods, the ones around here are "black seeded cottonwoods", they grow like weeds and are real messy. Also, it smelled as described when dropping but there is no noticeable odor when burning, as far as I can tell. I also burned a small spruce this winter, about 18" diameter, and agree, it sounded like a sting of firecrackers in the stove. Burns hot but fast.

We burn cottonwood because that's what we have. Hardwood is rare in the southwest, except for Siberian Elm. We use about three cords a year in our stove. I save my elm or ash for really cold days or for "all-nighters".

Cottonwood splits easily if it is good and dry. If it is wet at all, it will string. If I find a little dampness in a log I cut, I'll let it sit for a couple of months.

I've never noticed a bad smell from cottonwood, but I have from elm.

We lost about 100 trees to the 2002-03 drought, and I've cut about six cords this winter just trying to clean up the wind-blown ones.

Cottonwood burns fast, lots of ash, I use it when someone has me cut and haul it from their yard or something, but I don't look for it otherwise. Blue spruce I have a lot of on my 12 acres, have cut a dozen or big ones when killed by budworm. The rounds near the base, in this area of the world, are typically 25 to 32 inches diameter for a hundred-footer or taller. Naturally, this makes very heavy rounds, even dead and dry. I no longer wrestle them up into my truck bed via ramp, I section them up to where I can pick up the pieces. [Noodle making] It burns fine, though it is nothing like hardwood. It is better firewood than cottonwood, not as good as ponderosa or lodgepole, in my opinion. But I'd sure take it if I were you, particularly as the guy is willing to deal with the trillion smaller branches they have and which are a bear to haul off and handle.

I don't have a splitter, do it by maul and axe. The blue spruce, unless really seasoned, can be a real job to split by hand. I often have to hammer the maul through the splits with a sledge. It is a real workout. If it's seasoned, and has been cut into rounds a while, it will have begun to check pretty well and is much easier to split.

Last edited:
We burn cottonwood because that's what we have. Hardwood is rare in the southwest, except for Siberian Elm. We use about three cords a year in our stove. I save my elm or ash for really cold days or for "all-nighters".

Cottonwood splits easily if it is good and dry. If it is wet at all, it will string. If I find a little dampness in a log I cut, I'll let it sit for a couple of months.

I've never noticed a bad smell from cottonwood, but I have from elm.

We lost about 100 trees to the 2002-03 drought, and I've cut about six cords this winter just trying to clean up the wind-blown ones.

You are 100% right on the money!! I am burning cottonwood right now, where I live cottonwood is the tree we have the most of. I do like the elm and ash better but I burn cottonwood and sell alot of it to people who heat with it all the time! Most of the stuff you here about cottonwood is from people who have heard it from someone else and wouldnt know a cottonwood if they were burning one. As far as the smell no I dont notice any smell at all from it, but like i said once before it smells like smoke when you burn it I wouldnt recommend sticking your head in your stove! As far as hard to split thats complete horse:censored: It splits really nice when its dry! Yes it does burn up a little quicker than elm or ash and not quite as much heat. But I can fill my stove with cottonwood and it will last most of the night and keep it 75 to 80 degrees in my house and its not a small house! Also glad to have you on AS and nice to see an opinion from someone else who burns cottonwood!!

thanks for the replies, i think both trees will get bucked up i have freind comeing so ill be buckn with the 359 and hell have the 026.

ohhhhhhh something werid happend today, i grabbed spar oregon 72lg chain for the 026 and when i got home and went to put it on the saw it felt weird have the drive teeth wouldnt go in the bar so i got to lookin and half the chain is marked 75 man i have some weird luck with getn stuff dor this saw.

dump truck is not going now all big wood will be bucked and put on my 20' foot equipment trailer. im hopen with 4 foot sides i can haul both trees bucked and stacked tight.

thanks again for the replies.

also got nother firewood buyer. so i need this wood, specialy since it free permit less wood.

hmmmmmmm called the guy today to tell him id be there sunday, well hes like ohhhhh someone did it yesterday, all my plan right down the drain, i even had that wood sold.

ohhhwell i guess first come first serve thats what happens when trees are my second job and hobby that has to come second from my normal work.

I guess by reading all the replies that it is a wonder my kids didn't't freeze to death last night when the wind was blowing 20 mph and it was 0 out. I can't believe that cottonwood kept my house warm! You guys must have some piss poor wood and some rinky dink stoves if you can't have a fire last all night. Either that or you need to get up earlier. I have said before that it's not my #1 choice, but it is easy to get and keeps the place warm. Mowoodchopper I think the smell they think is from the cottonwood is from the Stihl boys pissing down their leg when a Dolmar fires up.

I hear what your saying about that Cottonwood but ,that along with Aspen, and Pine and "PISS ELM" that's all we got out here my way. I guess you take what you can get. Once it's dried it's really not that bad. Burns fast though. Stringy and Smelly when green and wet.

Latest posts

Back